Count Kromire: The Conquest of House Michbie

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joe1

Count Kromire: The Conquest of House Michbie

Post by Joe1 »

First of all Michbie? Aren't vampiric names supposed to sound Romanian? But whatever. I cannot get past the (third I think) scenario. Defeating Michbie. There's just literally no way I can figure out that I could possibly beat it. To me it seems that Mich starts out with WAAAY too much gold, he has WAY too many villages under his control in the beginning, there are NO villages near the starting keep, and when I try to take some villages from him, peasants come out of them and fight me to boot :) Overall? Uhm... impossible lol... If someone has any advice or has beaten it before please dear god tell me how.
"The greatest enemy of freedom and liberty is the government" -Delfador's Memoirs

"Government is the definition of everlasting life" Ronald "The King" Reagan
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Count Kromire: The Conquest of House Michbie

Post by Velensk »

No, Romania dosn't exist in the world of Era of Myths so I don't have to worry about that. I'm a bit suprised by someone having trouble with this scenario, would you like me to provide a replay to you?

EDIT:Many people have beaten my campaign in the past and I havn't had anyone complain about trouble in this scenario.

EDIT2: Alright, took me a bit longer than usual because I came into the level with less gold so I lost the first time I tried. This is the second attempt.
Attachments
Michbie_replay.gz
(25.31 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

I can't seem to be able to play that clip... But how much gold do you need to win? I had 275... Is there any outstanding or peculiar strategy I am missing?
"The greatest enemy of freedom and liberty is the government" -Delfador's Memoirs

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Any reason why the clip wouldn't play?

I had 244 gold. I recalled only a halfblood (level two thin blood) a almost leveled fledgling, and a malborn. EDIT: forgot a partially leveled thinblood

I can't think of any exceptional strategy I used. Just good tactics and a bat lure.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

Uhm first of all I have pretty good tactics... and the battlefield isn't necessarily catering to "tactics" because all it is is villages... When the enemy outnumbers you a good two to one and the villages are already occupied by his forces (peasants, but occupied all the same) it's fairly difficult to employ "tactics." But I guess I didn't really try a bat lure assuming you coined that term to mean "get his units to go off-course using a bat."

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Joe1 wrote:But I guess I didn't really try a bat lure assuming you coined that term to mean "get his units to go off-course using a bat."
Indeed. Also, Velensk made no statement that your tactics were not sound, and he is being nice enough to help you with the scenario. There is always room for improvement, and since you are asking for help with the scenario, obviously it would seem that your tactical ability has not yet helped you win, so why be so hostile towards advice?

Battlefields should not cater to your tactics, you should cater your tactics to the battlefield. Pull the peasants out of position and towards you in order to engage them on your terms, instead of trying to push towards the villages. Also, if you can see that seizing villages causes peasants to appear, do not take one until you are ready to wipe out the peasants that will show up.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

I do stall taking villages. However, here is my reasoning. I have tried this four times. The most recruits I can get is around three full recruitments (filling all the hexes) whereas michbie gets four right off the bat plus the one or two units he gets every turn. Plus if I even ATTEMPT to take some of his eco-power away, I'm attacked by peasants. I apologize for coming off as hostile, but the scenario is just so darn frustrating XD. I even managed to get three level two units, but to no avail. Here are some things that, in my opinion, make it extremely difficult.

The platform: The fact that every village but three starts under Michbie's control is a little bit insane. I'm not sure what the three castles in the center of the village are for except to make my life Hell. There's no terrain anywhere on the battlefield except that small hilly area that serves no purpose except to slow down my troops. The villages are centered in one location. Once you get into the village proper you can't go two hexes without a village. What with the peasants and the enemy being very close by it is very difficult to take any at all. Furthermore I attempted to stage my own battle near that ONE VILLAGE that I have near my keep, but to no avail. Michbie with his eco-strength just totally overwhelmed me.

The twist: The fact that peasants come out of the villages, preventing me from taking them until the town is swarming with michbie's troops is a little upsetting. Frankly I can't figure out why this is in the campaign to begin with. It provides no contribution to the storyline and all it does for the scenario is make it frustrating. I got the same feeling that I got in Under the Burning Suns when one of my heroes or teammates or whatever turns undead and begins attacking me. It gave me that kind of empty feeling of despair that resonates with "What next, God?" It's these things that generally make campaigns un-enjoyable for me. However, since this is the one campaign with vampires I stuck to it ;)

The humanity: Michbie has one significant advantage. He can recruit blood apprentices. They have fire damage. Which happens to be strong against vampires. And yes I DID kill them with my fledgelings. Thing is, thanks to "the platform" Michbie just makes a ton and they either wipe out half my units here or kill my leader there and it is quite annoying. If I could recruit blood apprentices in this scenario it would be quite helpful. That way there's at least a slight sense of an even field.

These may not be brilliant, but they are the feelings I got while I was playing the scenario. Sorry if my posts came off as hostile, I just don't handle stress well :)

Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

I tried assembling a defensive line along the hills near my keep, got negative income, I died.

I tried assembling a defensive line while sending bats around to take villages by surprise after I had activated the villagers. Worked for a while, but Michbie had too much money, I died.

I tried rushing at the villages and trying to take them all at once while distracting the enemy with bats. My bats were attacked by other bats, his mages killed my units, I died.

I made all bats and hid them in a corner, took all of his villages at once and, he killed my bats, took the villages, I died.

I attempted to attack him at the villages, kill a few units, retreat and heal. Silly me I forgot there was only one village to retreat to. He cornered me, I ran out of units, I died.

Countless other attempts. I can say that this is the hardest scenario I have seen ever since I started wesnoth. This is the first one that I have literally just not been able to beat. Am I missing something? I literally cannot figure out any way to beat it.

By the way what video player am I supposed to use to play these clips?

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

They're replays. You open them from inside Battle for Wesnoth.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Yeah, put the replay in your saves folder, then load up BfW and you'll find it in your load saves, you can watch it from there.

I don't know why you keep going on about income. Income isn't important in this level. Don't keep Kromire at the keep, you need to use him in battle.
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

I never kept Kromire at the keep in one of my tries. I realized that villages were only important to provide a place to heal.

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Joe1, could you attach one of your replays so we can analyze what you are doing and perhaps offer pointers?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

I think I could do that, but I'll need to figure out how.

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's simple. Under the main menu is the option to save replay. Choose that option after you've won or lost and the game will save a replay from the start of the scenario to the point when you saved.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I found this scenario nearly impossible to beat as well, although I am hopeful that replay will help. Still it seems to be a massive increase in difficulty compared to the previous levels.

In my case, I could wipe the floor with the enemy at first, but once I reached was inside the village, the overwhelming numbers I was dealing with slowed me down and eventually overwhelmed me. Of course I may have just needed more gold from the previous scenario. I'll try it again on my own sometime later, as that save is lost. I'll try the decoy bat idea, which should help.