Count Kromire: The Conquest of House Michbie

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord_Aether

Re: Count Kromire: The Conquest of House Michbie

Post by Lord_Aether »

I had a lot of trouble with this one, too, but I never did really get the hang of playing the vampires. :P

I must say, though, that Velensk makes it look way easy :shock:

EDIT: Spelling error
Last edited by Lord_Aether on May 20th, 2009, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord_Aether wrote:I had a lot of trouble with this one, too, but I never did really get the hang if playing the vampires. :P

I must say, though, that Velensk makes it look way easy :shock:
Velensk is also familiar with the EoM as he was maintaining that Era for a while. I wonder if issues that people are having arise from playing the vampires usefully, as well as the scenario itself.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

Hey, (still working on the replay I think my files are messed up...) there are a few things that contribute to difficulty. First of all it's difficult to get past the first scenario without losing your valet as there is absolutely no way to protect him and nearly no way to win without him. And also I found that I had maybe a maximum of one good veteran by scenario three. Perhaps making more weak enemies in scenario two as well as moving the Oathkeeper closer to Kromire so that the vampires can kill some of the devlings instead of the experience all going to the Oathkeeper. That or put maybe one scenario between Devlings and Michbie...? Just one soak-up scenario would allow me to level a few troops to combat the extremely advantaged army of Michbie.
"The greatest enemy of freedom and liberty is the government" -Delfador's Memoirs

"Government is the definition of everlasting life" Ronald "The King" Reagan
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You lost Igor on scenario 1 :shock: ? I am telling you whether you listen or not, unless you either make a mistake or get extreamly bad luck, you should have no problems keeping Igor alive on level 1. I only leveled one unit during the devlings scenario too, but that and igor was enough for me.

It's extreamly hard to pay attention to your feedback about a level being impossible when I (and a number of other people who've tested) know that it can be done without very much difficulty, and you tell me you make mistakes like losing a loyal level two unit so easily. This is not a campaign designed for beginners. Don't tell me you arn't a beginner, the kind of feedback you are giving gives that impression whether you are one or not.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

With only level zero units I would attack once with Igor, he would be attacked (sometimes even just by one enemy unit) and I would retreat him. But then they would go around my units (unless I surrounded him which hurt me in other ways) and annihilate him. I know it happened to me once, so I did go back and fix my mistake. I mean I may be a bit tactically un-exercised with vampires... but it's difficult to protect units with little guys who have eighteen life and no zoc. I don't doubt your tactical genius, but those are strange odds no matter how you cut it. And by the way it seems that a few OTHER people are claiming to have difficulty with the same scenario as me. They also seem to be claiming to have difficulty with the same problems that I mentioned. Odd how that works out... In fact one of them almost said word for word what I said XD

Velensk you said "this isn't a campaign for beginners." Ever hear the story of the emperor's new clothes? I apologize, but the plain fact that your campaign didn't function properly for a month or so after it was published says something... And the map-pack that I believe you made? When I first downloaded it the spelling errors in the descriptions made me think that it was made by a five-year-old. When I looked at the maps they did not change my thinking. To me "this isn't a campaign for beginners" sounds more like "Yea I kinda threw this together so that the maps are horribly unbalanced towards the enemy even if you do it on the easiest level." If Sun Tsu saw the battlefield in scenario three he would say "Retreat to fight another day." I mean there's like a three-four hex long BRIDGE to the guy's keep?! What's up with that? Oh wait I know... that bridge is there to throw off beginners. Right? Alright let me put it like this... what separates campaigns from regular PvP maps? It's the fact that you can carry over gold and experienced units right? That's why campaign maps can afford to be unbalanced. Because the player has those advantages. In your campaign you make the third scenario totally unbalanced (probably one of the most enemy-favored scenarios I've ever seen) and you deprive the player of the advantages that would make up for the balance issue in campaigns. I'm fairly certain Michbie has more money. I only have two experienced units by that time. Michbie has more income than you. Michbie can recruit better units than you. Michbie basically has every advantage that a player would get in a campaign as WELL as those that the enemy gets in a campaign. So don't give me your crap. Just because there's an addon with your name next to it doesn't make your word sacred.
Last edited by Joe1 on May 20th, 2009, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest enemy of freedom and liberty is the government" -Delfador's Memoirs

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I realy do not care how many people can't beat my campaign. What matters to me, is that it can be beaten without extream luck or cheating by a person who can figure out how to do it.

As for the first scenario. Don't use Igor till it's night and keep him on good terrain. Infact it's a good idea to stall for time till night anyway.

EDIT: As to the second part, the campaign did function for a awhile. There was a forum crash that wiped out all the posts for a month or so after it was published. Give me a moment to find the evidence.
Compare this to the times on the first few posts to the thread.

New server and repair status
Friday, August 8 2008

Welcome to our brand new server. We just moved the multiplayer server and the website over to our new machine that you are currently using. Everything beside the forum should be working now. That is even the "normal" images that seem to have been lost (cf. news posts of the last days) in the crash could be restored.

So much about the good news. The bad news is that the forums were hit really hard. That is over 500 user accounts, around 2000 posts, all attachment file data, roughly 1000 privs and all user rights were lost. Because of this we decided to switch to an older backup of the database used for the forum. This means that about two months of forum posts will be lost. The attachments might still be reachable with old adresses, though we are not too confident that those files will really work as expected. We will not be able to recover the posts of the last two months in a reliable way. We hope to have to forums working again rather soon, maybe will be online by tomorrow.

Server almost back again
Wednesday, August 6 2008

At the moment everything beside the forum should be up again and working as expected. That is all subdomains like gettext.wesnoth.org, units.wesnoth.org and the whole lot should be back up and working again. The wiki is working again, too. We hope that no data in the wiki was lost. If you find any pages having problems, please try to fix them. There is a list of files we do know that are broken/missing. If you have a local copy of any of those files or encounter missing images not listed there, please contact us.

Regarding the forums cycholka is still busy with making it work again. No idea if we will lose any data regarding user accounts and forum posts since he is currently fighting the user table. We don't know how many attachments are broken but found a backup for files from before march 2008. So at least some files are secure...

We will post updates every now and then to keep you informed.

Server crash
Monday, August 4 2008

As you might have noticed we are currently enduring some problems with our main server. That is: about one week ago we had a major harddrive failure resulting in the system not working at all. So far we don't know exactly how much of the data on the system is completely lost since we are working on restoring things. So far the multiplayer servers (stable and development) are back up again and the subdomain redirects like gettext.wesnoth.org are working again. What is not working so far are the forums and the wiki. The problem is that parts of the database seem to be broken. Currently cycholka is trying to fix and restore whatever is possible. Some stuff is completely lost like the screenshots folder we were using including the ancient screenshots. If anyone of you has a backup of those, feel free to contact us. We don't know how many of the forum attachments are broken but it is likely that some will not be restoreable.

We hope to have the wiki and forums usable again in some days but we don't know how long it will take. We will soon migrate the main server to a different machine anyway. This one will offer more network bandwidth and due to this make the website feel smooth again. We are not 100% sure if we will restore the wiki and forum completely before the move, so it might be that you are on the new server when the forum and wiki are up again...

I will try to post updates every now and then and please keep in mind that asking "when will the forum be up again" in our IRC chans won't speed things up at all. So please stay patient and play Wesnoth instead of using the forums. ;) If you are interested in some more info, have a look at the (unofficial) <a href="http://wesnoth.dbzer0.com/blog/"> Wesnoth Journals</a>.

Update: Okay, with the data provided by the Internet Archive it was possible to restore many images. The bad news is that basically all post 1.2 images seem to be lost. Have a look at this list of missing images to get an idea about what is missing. If you have the respective images, please contact us.

July 2008
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
pinguinsteve

Post by pinguinsteve »

Just wanna say, that i didn't experienced such difficulties with the scenario and i can't really understand what the problem is. I would like to see the replay and if needed i could attach one myself.
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

Wait so a forum crash caused the addon to fail? I mean all the others were working to my knowledge. I don't know what you're going to try to prove... your campaign didn't work for eh was it like two months straight? Something around that time. Not to mention the fact that when you wrote the story of the campaign you got the meaning of "blood-bound" wrong... Did you honestly think that meant through family relationship? But none of that's really the point... You are a campaign designer... so you know how to make comparatively balanced maps... the third scenario was not one. I mean sure I guess there are scenarios where you could beat it. If you got lucky in both scenarios before the third and had pretty decent luck in the third you could get it done... Well let's see Sun Tsu said that there are three levels of victory in military campaigns. Logistics, Strategics, and Tactics. In order to gain victory you must outdo your opponent in two of them. This is easily applied to wesnoth. Logistics being villages, managing your recruiting and funds etc. Michbie automatically wins this one. So you have to beat him in both strategics and tactics. However since he achieves victory over you in logistics tactics won't be enough. You must defeat him first strategically and THEN tactically (because if you went against him head to head you'd lose for sure due to the fact that he has so much more money than you.) There are several ways to achieve strategic victory. You can gain victory out of maneuvering, preparation, and attrition. Maneuvering is out of the question (no space to move) So I tried to beat him via preparation and attrition. I saw the units he recruited every time (almost without fail) and recruited units in a ratio that I thought would beat it. I had pretty good success when I attempted this. Since he ends up with almost if not more than twice as many starting units as I did I tried to whittle him down. This proved ultimately ineffective because he had such great logistical mastery over the map. The way that you've constructed your map you've made attack nearly impossible. Sun Tsu even said that if the enemy already has automatic victory over either Logistics, Strategics, or Tactics, and you have automatic victory over neither, you should retreat. You may be a good campaign and map-maker but you are not wiser than Sun Tsu.

Edit: Fine I rescind whatever I said about your campaign malfunctioning. It was just a microscopic point in my argument, not sure why you zoomed in on it like that.

Second Edit: Spelling + grammar errors.

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

If you don't like the campaign, don't play it. Simple as that. You have stated your opinion, and Velensk has politely and patiently explained why it is the way it is, offered to help you beat it, and noted your feedback. There is no need to keep belaboring the point.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Joe1

Post by Joe1 »

Very well, I'm not all too sure about the politeness part. Feel free to shut down this strand then or delete it or whatever. I asked for strategic advice... never really got that either. There was this whole thing about how one had to see my replay and tell me specifically what I was doing wrong... instead of giving me a hint? But whatever.

pinguinsteve

Post by pinguinsteve »

well i am sorry to hear that this discussion went a bit out of hand, to say it politely. Nonetheless i'd like to attach the replays for you joe, just copy them in your savegamefolder, and you should probably rename them.

It's very hard for me to describe the strategy because as velensk stated, there is nothing particular special to do. apart from going along the edges at scenario one. If you have a specific question i will gladly answer.
Attachments
The_Therian_Village_Spielverlauf.gz
(9.42 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Devilings_Spielverlauf.gz
(21.77 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Michbie_Spielverlauf.gz
(19.76 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Joe1 wrote:I asked for strategic advice... never really got that either. There was this whole thing about how one had to see my replay and tell me specifically what I was doing wrong... instead of giving me a hint? But whatever.
It is hard to give strategic advice when you have yet to attach a replay, as pinguinsteve has done. Thus only general advice can be given unless we can help you with specifics. Hopefully looking through his replays will help you out, but we can help you the most if we can see what you are doing yourself.
ferrikpm

Post by ferrikpm »

the main difference between tactics and strategy(yes there is one) is that tactics are made at the moment for the moment and strategies are more of a story about how the future will go if you do the strategy right. the way to beat michbie is to gang on his units and give you high leveled units the kill. once he IS out of gold, funnel your units towards his castle and kill him.
ferrikpm,also lire. lire say elves are just better than everyone else. i shoot blind to avoid sights distractions.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I had no trouble keeping Igor alive, and the part at the end with the swarm of level 0s was actually very, very easy.

My abilities at this game definitely leave something to be desired (although I am improving rapidly) but if the OP has trouble with level one. . .

But at least this discussion gave me some good ideas for next time.
macherb

Post by macherb »

Hi,

it's crazy. I downloaded the replays. They appearently are played in easy or with another AI. I tried with normal difficulty. No unit hits the cel.leader more than 2 times (all hit 3 times in replay), the leader strikes back with 12 (10 in replay). Attacks against Ronyc result in damaged Cromire or Igor and more than half of the Bloodborn are gone. Next round either Comire or Igor are gone. For me its impossible. And thats not funny playing its only frustrating. I am with Joe1.

macherb