The best two traits, etc. [split]

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oafah

The best two traits, etc. [split]

Post by Oafah »

There is nothing more satisfying than an Avenger with Strong/Dexterous. 9-4/11-4 with ambush.
alpha1

Re: The best two traits, etc.

Post by alpha1 »

if we are talking about mp, best traits are imho: quick/strong for lawful/chaotic units (quick/res for mages/adepts), quick/res for neutral (mixed with few str/int/dex units according to your needs)
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

On the one hand, this is a year old. On the other, I guess it's better than making an entirely new topic for it if you wanted to discuss said traits.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

I prefer the 'locked' trait. Prevents the necromancy debuff. Very useful when equipped on the Thread unit.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
silent

Post by silent »

I cannot believe the hate towards intelligent units outside multiplayer :o

I find intelligent quite useful as it means you have more leveled units far sooner into the campaign. And although I can't think of specific examples, it should still not be underestimated. (although I dislike quick/intelligent in general)

Getting a leadership unit earlier than normal, for example, is always a good thing. People should also remember this leads to stronger forms of magi, ESPECIALLY white magi, far quicker, which I shouldn't need to point out is useful in a number of campaigns.

Resilient is always nice, regardless of unit, whether taking an extra hit or surviving what would be certain death otherwise.

Strong for melee is obvious.

I like healthy as a trait, even if it's strictly limited to dwarves. Being able to recover while moving away from battle shouldn't be underestimated, even if healing is minimal.

Loyal is always good. (duh)

Quick is dependent on the map. In caves it's fantastic but out in the open it is much less useful. It also depends on unit as some units are too low in HP to begin with anyway.

Fearless isn't bad if you need to hold a defensive point at the wrong ToD.

Dexterity for elven archers is obvious.

Favourite combo's would be
Intelligent/resilient for any unit with leadership potential later on or magi
strong/resilient or strong/intelligent for any melee unit
strong/quick or resilient/quick for caves/water etc.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: The best two traits, etc. [split]

Post by Turuk »

LemonTea wrote: I prefer the 'locked' trait. Prevents the necromancy debuff. Very useful when equipped on the Thread unit.
I agree completely, and my personal favorite is the ban attack. The enemy unit is caught without a chance to defend, and cannot trouble you any longer.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Quick for Scouts

Strong / Resilient for melee
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

In a campaign:

Strong - For anyone who has a strong melee attack, worth using offensively. Especially good for those with multiple attacks.
Intelligent - For those with Leadership, Mages, maybe heavy front line tanks due to HP boost from levelling
Dexterous - Anyone with a strong missile attack.
Healthy - Anyone!
Resilient - Anyone!
Quick - Anyone for whom it will change Movement from 5 to 6. This allows more mobility in difficult terrain because 6 has 2 and 3 as factors. Thus 2 squares in Move 3 terrain, or 3 in Move 2 terrain.
Loyal - Anyone!

My pet peeve - Strong on Elvish Shamans.
Sqwall

Post by Sqwall »

The thing i played last was Children Of Dragons and i would say i ENJOY Drakes with strong/resilient.This awesome combination = incredible lvl 3 tanks(like Enforcers and Wardens) and Wardens doing OMINOUS damage,able to 1-hit-kill many 1st lvl units.Quick/resilient for scouts like Gliders for example.But i consider strong/resilient one of the best for many drakes.
randomdragoon

Post by randomdragoon »

Strong ulfserkers

need I say anything else
Joram

Post by Joram »

For single player:
Aside from loyal... Quick is by far my favorite.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love quick.

For 4 movement units: required to actually give them some speed.

For 5 movement units: bumps them from 2 to 3 spaces over two movement terrain, and from 1 to 2 for three movement.

For 6 movement units: I just can't resist having Royal Guards and Silver Mages moving the speed of Grand Knights

For 7+ movement units: Just extra gravy.

It has gotten to the point where I will rarely upgrade non-quick units. Especially non-quick mages. (strong is a close second for the horseman line, but other than that, I really don't pay much attention to what the other traits are).
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
mcv

Post by mcv »

Joram wrote:For single player:
Aside from loyal... Quick is by far my favorite.
I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post. I love mobility, and that's what quick gives you. It makes slow units keep up with the main force, it makes fast units, that get a lot of their value out of being fast, even faster.

I love quick quite a lot more than loyal. Loyal saves me money, but it doesn't give me any real combat advantage, and that just matters more to me. Particularly in a campaign, speed also means you get the early finish bonus earlier, and that also means more money.

In multiplayer it might be different. I dont have any experience with that.
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

I like Quick when it changes a prime number of moves into a non-prime. Units with a prime number of moves are slower on bad terrain...both 4 and 5 moves get 2 moves in terrain that requires 2 per hex. So, if the base unit has a speed of 5, I love Quick. If the base unit has a speed of 6, I hate Quick.

It can be nice for the Heavy Infantry I suppose because they are soooo slow and rarely go in bad terrain anyway.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

While the locked trait and ban trait is useful, I like the stupid trait. Makes most units not even know when to quit, leaving them open for quick, decisive attacks...
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador