General Tips - Campaigns

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SirTheta

General Tips - Campaigns

Post by SirTheta »

I haven't had a computer for a bit, so updates will NOT be happening for a while (possibly as long as another 2 or 3 months).

WARNING: Contained herein may [definitely does in some places] be what some people term as a spoiler. Consider yourself warned.

Please note - all tips come from playing the campaign on Hard (Sometimes Nightmare or Impossible, etc.), unless noted otherwise.

General:
-- Accelerated Speed can be used to slow down the game as well as speed it up (Ctrl + P to set the speed; Ctrl + A as a shortcut to activate/deactivate it).
-- Mousing over a unit on a particular side (i.e. an enemy unit, your unit, an ally's unit) and holding down 1-7 will show you the number of squares it can move in that many turns.
-- If one of your units is within one kill of a level or AMLA, try to wait until the next scenario to advance it, this way it can take some damage, then fully heal.

Heir to the Throne

Scenario: The Elves Besieged

This is an extremely good scenario to start leveling your units, so don't rush through it too fast. [This may not be an ideal strategy for beginners.]

Delfador's Memoirs

General:
-- Never ever bring elves out of the forest when there are a lot of [hard-hitting] enemies around.
-- Don't underestimate the value of Delfador's leadership, especially when he is a Mage Magister (Level 4).
--
Significant rebalancing has been done in a number of scenarios -santi
All advice may not hold true in light of this.. I will play it again sometime soon and update accordingly.

Scenario: Into the Land of the Dead -

First off, this is an extremely easy scenario (I got two AMLA's) - on hard anyway.
Don't just finish the scenario as fast as possible, make sure you explore the entire map... you might just find something interesting.
Also, beware - there are two villages that are not as they appear.

Scenario: Land of the Dead -
Spoiler:
Scenario: Prince of Wesnoth (The Second One)
Spoiler:

Bad Moon Rising - Part I: Awakening

Always follow the author's hints!

Scenario: Abandoned

(Need to replay)

Scenario: From Bad to Worse

There are two easily accessible villages with only one hex of access to put Scarrion on - do so. Also, try to get him advanced (I chose the Pikeman line, I'd recommend not going Javelineer).

Scenario: Unbreakable

Use your units as a screen and advance them carefully. Consider the damage type. However, if you advance one and it dies, it will come back - as the original, base unit.

Scenario: Join the Dark Side

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go anywhere near the Storm Cantor. You will die unless you do a ton of Save and Reload's (I despise that technique, but found myself having to do it a lot). Make sure you achieve your mission objective on the Second Line of your Objectives (at beginning and Ctrl + J to access as a Shortcut) as soon as possible.

Scenario: Payback

Do not underestimate the value of Leadership on a Level 4. You are a beast, I gained ~750 XP. You must watch your turns carefully though.

Bad Moon Rising - Part II: Out of the North

Scenario: Ukiah (and Skirmish) -

My favorite scenario (it even trumps the final one in HttT). There is a certain hex (or maybe a certain narrow area) you must get to to complete this scenario - I messed that up pretty bad and wound up ambushed 25 times (great for levelling units though, I wound up with 15 Level 3's).
Last edited by SirTheta on May 19th, 2009, 3:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
juderiverman

Re: General Tips - Campaigns

Post by juderiverman »

Best topic ever in this forum.
SirTheta

Post by SirTheta »

Why, thank you :mrgreen:
Have been skipping around through campaigns, will go through HttT again and add it in soon :wink:
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just a note on DM: After Delfador gets the staff he has superpowerful melee and ranged attacks, so enemy units stay clear of him. This has/will be changed so that enemies target Delfador, so he should be superpowerful, but not invincible. Significant rebalancing has been done in a number of scenaria
SirTheta

Post by SirTheta »

Duly noted and adjusted, appreciate the info =]
mcv

Post by mcv »

SirTheta wrote:Scenario: The Elves Besieged

This is an extremely good scenario to start leveling your units, so don't rush through it too fast.
Is this for 1.4.x? Because in 1.6, I've found this to be a terrible scenario for leveling units. Allies steal your kills, and the orcs hit hard. The scenario is not terribly hard as long as you just run for it and avoid all fights, but if you fight, you'll be slowed down and you'll lose units. Better to go for the money, IMO. The next couple of scenarios are much safer for leveling up.

Mind you, this was the very first Wesnoth scenario I played. I had to retry dozens of times because I kept trying to fight. For an experienced player, I guess those big orcs are juicy sources of XP, but for a beginner, they're death incarnate.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Actually if anything I felt 1.6 weakened the orcs in that scenario, as far as numbers and units recruited were concerned. Though the leaders seemed more aggressive (ie, willing to leave their keep and fight), which cost me Delfador right at the start as the price for being careless. :(
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
SirTheta

Post by SirTheta »

Thanks, added a tidbit to the post :)

Edit:

And the orcs, etc. were in 1.5.10 & 1.5.11, the first 1.6 Betas.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

SirTheta wrote: -- Mousing over a unit on a particular side (i.e. an enemy unit, your unit, an ally's unit) and holding down 4 will show you the ZoC for that side (i.e. mouse over one of your units and press 4 and you will see all the possible squares you can move onto, regardless of whether or not you have a unit that can reach there).
it seems to me that when you select a unit and press 1-7 it will show you how far the unit can move in that many turns
Founding Father of Columbia
SirTheta

Post by SirTheta »

Ah, so that's what it does then.. adjusted & sorry for the misinformation.