Dwarvish Ulfserker - tips on using?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MRhe

Dwarvish Ulfserker - tips on using?

Post by MRhe »

I was wondering if anyone has any good tactics on using the Ulfserker's beserker ability. I've had difficulty using him effectively, keeping him alive, leveling him, etc.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Attack mages and archers, usually.
Defend heavily, using fighters etc.
Try to land him on villages as much as possible.
Fight from mountains.
Use him on anything that gains advantage over time, such as trolls.
Attack when your opponent's alignment is against them.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
telly

Post by telly »

The main use for ulfserkers is to kill higher level enemy units. Because they always die if they don't get a kill they always leave a gap to attack again, so as long as you have enough ulfserkers you can kill anything in one turn. Its especially bad against elf lords because they have no resistance and low (for level 3) hp it often only takes two ulfserkers to finish them off from full health. Theres no real way of defending against it either, even if they surround their leader you can just use ulfserkers to kill the bodyguards as well and open a space.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

You should always make sure that ulfzerkers ALWAYS get the advantage, bad positioning (like leaving one out in a forest while elves are near) always will cost you an unit for sure, so the best thing to do with it is to break down weak melee units at high hp that the owner sent out seperate from their army (unless you have enough units around the ulfzerker to make the other player think twice in attacking it head on.)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Is the Ulfserker still set to go beserk on defence as well? I thought everyone agreed that needed to change.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yes, unfortunately.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sangel wrote:Is the Ulfserker still set to go beserk on defence as well? I thought everyone agreed that needed to change.
I think the reasoning was that is makes berserk a double edged sword, it makes the unit a much better attack, but also makes it easier to kill. I agree that if it only berserked on offense people would have a much easier time keeping them alive. But maybe such a powerful skill needs a drawback in order to keep it from being overbalanced?
telly

Post by telly »

Ulfserkers are too strong atm already, they need to be easy to kill.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

They're all very handy to take out ranged units, especially those that will poison you. I just keep them behind my other units, and "launch" them out when there's a unit I want taking out in one turn.
JasonVoorhees

Re: Dwarvish Ulfserker - tips on using?

Post by JasonVoorhees »

Remember about human opponents. They always think twice before using ranged units when they see your ulf.
Ulfserker makes them play worse.

Sorry for digging a topic.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

JasonVoorhees wrote:Sorry for digging a topic.
Yeah, whoa there Marty McFly, if you necro the thread where your parents first met, you might never be born!
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I've never seen a nigh-decade necro. I'm gettin old.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

drake burners at day are immune to ulfs
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Seriously guys, this question is almost 10 years old. I think that either its poster is not around anymore or he has long since understood how to use ulfs. Maybe both.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth