Stuck in DID - Beginning of the Revenge

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zajoman

Stuck in DID - Beginning of the Revenge

Post by Zajoman »

Hi, guys.

I've played this scenario for 5 times and I can't beat it. I can beat the south orc leader, but only about in turn 32 (of 36), so there's no time left to do the second leader. I can recall no level 2 units. Is there a specific tactic or a way to kill just the leaders and avoid their armies? I just don't get how to beat both of them in time.

Thanks in advance.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Re: Stuck in DID - Beginning of the Revenge

Post by Baufo »

Well, there is a little secret in this scenario (don't read any farther if you want to find out yourself).
Spoiler:
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Baufo wrote:Well, there is a little secret in this scenario (don't read any farther if you want to find out yourself).
Actually, you're talking of Orc War there.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Go back and get more advanced units. Go back and get two level 2 ghosts-one should be a shadow, and another should be either a shadow or a wraith. Use them to assassinate the leaders quickly. Also, to counter the pillagers coming from above, send ghouls-they make great shields (they even have a slight resistance to fire) and they'll poison the pillagers, allowing your other forces to finish them.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You should have at least *some* level 2 units by now, you'll probably just get into even more trouble later on.

Anyway, here's a couple of hints:
-You don't need to take out the leaders. Soaking up the first wave and then moving north tends to work just as well.
-You can really mess with the AI by having flying units cross the water every other turn (there's a path in the south and north through the impassable mountains), this will have them constantly shifting their priorities. (even without killing them, as you'll need more/higher level units for that)
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

I'm using bats to take over villages the enemies cannot reach and then just back off when they can, so I keep more than half of their units around their bases. This tactic came to my mind the moment I saw the map, but while this helps a lot, it does not win the scenario. Going back is what I'd love to avoid. So, all in all, you say that there is no or very little chance to beat the mission without recalls? (I, personally, did not find any good use for ghosts in the previous missions, so I did not recruited one.)
Max

Post by Max »

Zajoman wrote:So, all in all, you say that there is no or very little chance to beat the mission without recalls?
why not attach a save game?
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Here you are:
Revenge_replay.gz
(47.76 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Max

Post by Max »

that's really a tough one - your best unit to recall is a level 1 goul with 4xp^^

i just tried it and can't see a chance. i can finish the south leader by going over the mountains (3 ghost, 3 skeleton) by turn 10, but since your leader can't pass deep water that's no real option. i managed to level a ghost and an archer but that didn't help either.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Thanks, Max.

You know, I did not realize how important it is to level up units for later scenarios. When my level 2 unit died, I was not too happy, but went on playing. Now I'm seem to be stuck. Does this apply to all main campaigns that you must have higher level units for later scenarios to win them?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Generally, yes.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You choose an especialy rough one though, DiD is a pretty hard campain, and being a relativly short campain, getting those lvled units as quickly as possible is a priority.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Not to mention that the ghost line is without a doubt the most useful in this campaign. Many players before the crash talked about how they pretty much used solely ghosts in this.
Zajoman

Post by Zajoman »

Thank you, guys, for your replies. I have one bad feature - I just hate to play same things twice. I'll give it some time until the taste for the campaign overgrows the distaste for replaying it.
Phr0stByt3

Post by Phr0stByt3 »

Here's how I did it, although I lost a lot of units, it was kind of fun:

take a couple bats straight left and keep the orcs there chasing them, move your main force straigh north (get several ghosts). Keep the ghosts moving north over the mountains and take out the leader there (that's where I lost a bunch) while you're fighting the south orcs forces between the mountains. As you're moving your ghosts North the northern orc's forces will retreat to save their leader, but you can still kill him fairly easily (again, I lost too many ghosts here, but it was fun) and the southern orc will have his forces in dissarray because of your bats so you can sweep through them fairly easily, then the remaining northern forces will chase you, but they're too late to stop you from wasting the southern orc.

I played this on "normal" difficulty and it worked.
Theodore Roosevelt: "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

Ecclesiastes 10:2: "A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."