Using Elvish Scouts

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Using Elvish Scouts

Post by anakayub »

Other than for grabbing far villages, how do I use them in campaigns and have them level up? They seem to be pretty weak although fast, and so I tend to ignore them, and use horsemen instead most of the time, as they can hold the frontline (unless I'm going against pierce). I also find that you can easily get knights & their 3rd levels pretty fast. Thanks.
Take a breath.
BMintern

Post by BMintern »

If you're talking about HttT, I typically don't recruit an elvish scout until perhaps Bay of Pearls. I can usually get it to level up by the end of the scenario. If you keep them away from piercing enemies, they are great troops to aid horsemen in holding grass tiles. Also, they are extremely helpful to swoop in and get the last hit or two in order to kill an enemy.

Indeed, horsemen have much more damage and more HP than scouts, but scouts are cheaper, they have a pretty good ranged attack (especially after leveling), they have 60% defense in forests (horsemen never have more than 40%), and they can move through forests full speed, while horseman are slowed down a lot.

Just don't expect them to be a huge portion of your force, and you should be able to utilize them quite effectively. The Elvish Outrider is an awesome soldier once you get to that point :).
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Take a breath.
Beholder

Re: Using Elvish Scouts

Post by Beholder »

anakayub wrote:Other than for grabbing far villages, how do I use them in campaigns and have them level up? They seem to be pretty weak although fast, and so I tend to ignore them, and use horsemen instead most of the time, as they can hold the frontline (unless I'm going against pierce). I also find that you can easily get knights & their 3rd levels pretty fast. Thanks.
On village grabbing maps, I sometimes recruit lots of Scout and rush the enemy villages. I like then to reinforce my troops because they can be moved to where I need very fast.

To level there isn't too much mistery... if there is a unit in red, there is a Scout nearby which can kill him.

Use then to

1) Quickly grab villages
2) Sacrificial units
3) Baits

While I -can- finish units with then if so I want, I prefer to level other units. But leveled Scouts make amazing troops specially due to the higher HP.
ngunjaca

Using Elvish Scouts

Post by ngunjaca »

i like to use Elvish Scouts for "guerilla" tactics.
Build up a group of three to five scouts. Then find single enemy units, or small groups of two enemy units. Since your scout is extremly fast (especially with the quick trait) you can outrun the enemy, surround them and finish off them with your range attacks. This works great if youre attacking units that dont have range attack, or have very poor range attack (goblin spearman for instance). Of course keep them in the forest if possible, you gain good defense and even some good melee units cant seriously harm your scout.