You think a faction is overpowered? Come here!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Me1234

Post by Me1234 »

that is not what i meant at all. i was just pointing out that the drakes are trash unless they didnt have the saurians there.
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Which is exactly what people decided quite a while ago, which caused them to add saurians.
Unnheulu

Re: You think a faction is overpowered? Come here!

Post by Unnheulu »

Can I just say to all you new players who post here, because you've played some games of wesnoth as elves orcs etc, or against elves orcs etc, then before you post.

I'm a fairly new player to, and am not a great player, but even though I always lose against orcs etc. do I say they're over powered? No, as better players are able to beat the orcs, even if I can't beat them, I'd just say that all the factions are balanced so well that you need to have a high level of skill to win.
excist

Re:

Post by excist »

megane wrote:
Me1234 wrote:i think that all of the factions are balanced. except for the drakes who have no resistance to peirce and cold. the saurians make up for this though.
...so, what you're saying is, because 3 out of the 6 units in the faction do not have all three of astronomical hp, great attack power, AND resistances to everything, they're underpowered? Here's an idea, lets give the drakes a straight %60 resist to all elements, that'll balance em out. And while we're at it, it's annoying how the undead are weak to arcane, can't you guys do something about that? Jeez. 8)
Just reading this thread for first time..

Actually, it seems to me that 6 out of 6 units do not have all 3 of astronomical hp, great attack power and resistances to everything.

Drakes seem to have high damage, average hp and high vulnerability to damage and low defense and high cost.

Saurians seem to have low cost, low hp, average resist/vulnerability, low damage and high defense.

Bottom line is Drakes is the only faction in the game which is susceptible to another unit single-handedly killing any unit in their army in 1 turn.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Re:

Post by Wintermute »

excist wrote:Bottom line is Drakes is the only faction in the game which is susceptible to another unit single-handedly killing any unit in their army in 1 turn.
Would you care to back this bottom line up? What do you mean about "another unit", are you implying that every faction can take down a drake on a whim? Are there time of day considerations? Do you have any specific "killer units" in mind? Do the traits involved matter?

I guess I'm asking: have you thought through the relevant details about when exactly a drake unit can be taken down in one turn, and then are your SURE that it is the only faction that is as weak as you claim?
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If you are talking about dark adepts at night adepts olny do 19-2 (38 total) to drakes. This is qute a bit and enough to kill fighters/gliders that arn't resiliant, but not enough to kill clashers or burners. They may do enough to kill nonresiliant saurians in one turn, but I don't have the numbers in front of me, but that is not all drakes.

For comparison: all undead with the exceptions of skelotons and ghosts would likely be killed in one turn by an ulfserker, and undead have more types of units than drakes.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Theoretically, horsemen getting 2/2 could do it, but you'd wind up with a lot of dead horses.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Igrok

Post by Igrok »

Well, I'm sure that lots of people won't agree with me but I think Rebels are overpowered and i'll try to explain it with my poor little english.

What do we do when we play online? 1st, look the faction of the other player. Why? Because we can get some advantages selecting a specific faction against them. Every faction has a great hole in their defenses that can we used, well not every faction. The problem is that Rebels are the only-really-balanced power in Wesnoth.

They have almost all the "though-points" of the others:

- Healers.
- Magic power.
- Almost every unit has ranged attack.
- Balanced resistente.
- Neutral alignement.

So if you choose Rebels you can get advantage of the rival's weak points, no matter what.

Maybe you have a favourite faction you like to play, but you know that against X faction you should select another team. That won't happen if you lead Rebels.

- My english machine is a bit rusty, sorry guys -
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I choose random, you choose rebels. What do you recruit? I know what I'd recruit, depending on what I got. Perhaps some fire damage if you got a wose, probably less pierce-weak stuff than I would if you were northerners or drakes. Some good strong melee, and then I'd just wait it out. Rebels have low hp, and once they're out of the forest they can get taken down easily enough.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
ninjarealist

Post by ninjarealist »

I'm assuming this topic is directed only at Default Era because some of the user created factions are pretty obviously overpowered.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Correct =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

ninjarealist wrote:I'm assuming this topic is directed only at Default Era because some of the user created factions are pretty obviously overpowered.
Each user-made Era has a thread of its own, however, if you feel it necessary to comment.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

I would really like to see a poll regarding which one they think is the most powerfull faction right now (the standart era) and which the people think is the most powerful and which one they like to play most.

For me both in both polls would be undead.

(Strongest does not mean => unbalanced overwpowereed just personell impression and depending on playing style)

Undead made huge steps :

1. The once "useless" bats are now alive and awesome scouts.

2. fearless ghouls => perfect village holders even at dawn and daylight

3. fearless walking dead best unit the undead have: no upkeep!! (important to get the economic edge), convert the enemy to your side...and even at day they are useful.

4. Adepts: Best and strongest attack unit for me in the standart era: Perfect bunker buster unit to throw the enemy out of his fortifications.

5. Ghost : fearsome if they can level, needs special handeling by the enemy and keeps him occupied and worried about them

6. Skeletons (axes and bows) both have their uses against certain enemies but they lost for me much of their importance with the dawn of ghouls and walking dead.

P:S : I am really struggeling with Northerners vs Undead right now. How can Northerners win in this matchup?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

One mistake of northerner players in this matchup is to rely to heavily on trolls, trolls are great if your enemy is going heavy on skelotons, but for other builds you'll want about as many grunts as trolls if not more. Northeners can attack at day with fearless/regenerating trolls overpowering undead at day. Ghouls are annoying, however with archers/trolls you can kill them without being slowed down too much. Archers are good against all undead units except adepts and archers, which grunts can handle well. Being the more mobile of the two you can run away over hills faster than undead can follow.

As for my prefrences I beleive that loyalists,Drakes, and possibly Knalgans have that invisable notch above the rest that is so insignificant as to hardly be noticed. However Knalgans are my favorite faction to play.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
fareley

Post by fareley »

well i think the dwarfes have the biggest problems without mages (they only may do normal physical damage except for some assasins - but getting some is very difficult...)
and they're really mountainbound
their blunderbush is a like flipping a coin, if you need it he will miss...

undead are really weak against arcane magic and fire. So eighter you have some mages (rebels/loyalist) or a complete race burning them down (drakes). I think playing Drakes against Undead is the easiest Challenge - just burn them to the ground! And their scouts are very effective too with their melee attack (so spawn a group and burn every round a seperated enemy or punch him until he's dead...)
that's what i would really call unfair. Bats aren't very resistant to any fire, Skeleton Archers will do some damage but also get more in return so Ghosts are the unit to rely on. But they have a really big problem of hitpoints compared to a fire drake - he may do some damage but not enough and next round this expensive unit will be burned down...

that's also the way I play with Northeners against the Undead - use 1 or 2 Trolls (why having more? They don't do damage, they are just there to invalidate the absence of healers...) and some Grunts as a defense line but do the Damage with (Fire-)Archers. I guess this is really balanced and I don't get big problems

the rebels may look very strong eighter you have some fast, good-defensive units (Archer and Fighter) or some wooses who are too slow to do significant damage (and very often they miss) and don't have a good defense (i would only use them as if they were trolls...)
but aside from wooses (who often don't justify their very high cost) they don't have a strong melee damage dealer and no crushing damage
and if they can't find a big forest their units will be seperated from each other making it really easy to kill them one by one e.g. with a group of 3 sorcerer and a defensive/healing unit...
rebels may have couterattack-units for nearly everything but they aren't at all as strong as a race which focuses only on a few points!

but maybe i'm not experienced enough to say so after only a week of playing the game...