You think a faction is overpowered? Come here!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Syntax_Error wrote:
Tom of wesnoth wrote:I nearly always loose on evles so i thik they are over powerd!
hmhmm, i guess thats a proof enough. mp devs, get to work! now!
To much work.. we will remove them to solve the problem... or remove every other faction besides them.. yes it would help as well..
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Kenshin

Post by Kenshin »

Sorry if my english not well enough. I play wesnoth many times and always think undead are one of the best race but from several last version it pretty unbalanced dark adept with two type of magickal attack and fearless ghoul and walking corpse do extremally hard to play against undead. Then, drakes are very weak comparatively with other races expensive units who can't take good defense in any terrain. And in the and drakes absolutely unplayable vs undead
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

As stated at the beguining try to arrange a match with someone from that list. I may not be amoung the best but I could play a few matches against you pretty much anytime today.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Kenshin wrote:Sorry if my english not well enough. I play wesnoth many times and always think undead are one of the best race but from several last version it pretty unbalanced dark adept with two type of magickal attack and fearless ghoul and walking corpse do extremally hard to play against undead. Then, drakes are very weak comparatively with other races expensive units who can't take good defense in any terrain. And in the and drakes absolutely unplayable vs undead
Drakes playstyle is completely different than the other factions, not imbalanced or weak. Especially against UD, thats quite a fun matchup, both sides tear each others forces to shreds extremely quickly, drakes however can choose when to more effectively than UD can and has more niffy abilities like skirmish/heal/first strike combine all that and UD isn't stronger than drakes at all.
Considering how different their playstyles are and how they are polar opposites (ability/weakness wise) I'm stunned its as balanced as it is, which is pretty near perfect.

Adept arcane damage is a non-issue since its a modified holy, its pretty much crap except in mirror and vs a few specific units, in which case cold is still probably better in most cases. I was pleased with this since it made UD mirror playable and didn't break much else.
Kenshin

Post by Kenshin »

OK lets try to play UD vs drakes but for it we need choose comfortable date and time because we live in different time zone what about 28.11 00.00 (GMT)
suvorov

faction balance

Post by suvorov »

I don't think any of the factions are unbalanced per se, but I do think some factions are more fleshed out than others. For example the loyalists have the biggest recruit list and the biggest level branch. They have two different units that can go to level 4.

Now in multiplayer that's no big deal cause it never goes that far. But in games like survival and team survival, that matters a great deal. I would just like to see a further fleshing out of some of the factions, with extra levels, even if it requires an amount of xp that would normally never be reached in multi...

So that's my say. I've had it.
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

I think the northerners are overpowered. Undead just can't deal with the orcish archers!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

ghouls resist all 3 orcish archer damagetypes, and a skelly at night is serious pain for an orc archer. BTW, I think the 'choose your own recruits' faction is the best one.
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

Yeah, ghouls are the counter I tried. They get minced pretty well by the archers as well. The big problem is that the northerners usually get sooo many of them. A few trolls, the odd grunt and a ton or archers make life (or unlife) really difficult.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Most people I see who have trouble beating northerners as undead don't get enough dark adepts or where outplayed.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

I've tried plenty of adepts, the outplayed bit is always an option. The last game I played I was up 22 kills to 10 at one stage, then I had one unlucky night where I killed bugger all and I got swarmed and killed afterwards.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

ProggerPete wrote:I've tried plenty of adepts, the outplayed bit is always an option. The last game I played I was up 22 kills to 10 at one stage, then I had one unlucky night where I killed bugger all and I got swarmed and killed afterwards.
We could help more if you could post a replay. The above match would be ideal, if you have it.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

I think I might have saved it. I'll stick it up this evening if I did.
maxgamer

Post by maxgamer »

i think that the undead faction is underpowered, sure theyre great against most units, but all you have to do is recruit some impact attackers and its game over for them. i suggest making a unit that can counter this, just to ward off heavy infantry and such. maybe im wrong and im missing something, but i just want to hear what you think.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

maxgamer wrote:i think that the undead faction is underpowered, sure theyre great against most units, but all you have to do is recruit some impact attackers and its game over for them. i suggest making a unit that can counter this, just to ward off heavy infantry and such. maybe im wrong and im missing something, but i just want to hear what you think.
The Necrophage (well the lvl 1) is resistant to impact so its a good way to counter it.

Paired with some cheap dark adepts and these guys will get fried fast, the HI is a rather poor counter against undead due to be very slow and expensive, it could come in handy on very small maps, but it can be countered.

If you have problems dealing with it, then you could get similar problems with the wose, that its a bit worse due to be easy on blade but it regens.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."