Which strategy for Rise of Wesnoth - The Vanguard ?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kai1977

Which strategy for Rise of Wesnoth - The Vanguard ?

Post by kai1977 »

I´m rather desperate with this level. I managed it narrowly but ended up with no gold left (- 300 or so in fact) which makes the next level impossible.

What´s the right strategy ? Attacking fast or defending ? And should I go north or west first ?

Thanks.

Kai
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

What level are you playing at? How much gold do you start with? What units can you recall?
I have beaten the Vanguard and the next level on hard, so it should be beatable(and note I arrived in Wesnoth with only 100 gold).
Generally the tips I have are:

1) do not rush to seize the pinch points; you need to engage when you have ALL your army available; this means the villages around the pinch points are important, but if it comes down to obstinately holding villages with few troops vs attacking spread out "vanguard" enemy troops with many of your troops available, pick the second option.
2) form the usual line of high HP troops backed up by healers to take the brunt of the enemy assault. When this is cleared , if you have enough forces, advance both north and west. If not, what I did is concentrate on
holding west, while eliminating the northern orc commander.
After the northern orc was eliminated, but before eliminating the troll
I sent a sizeable force southwest to help with operations there, after
clearing out the reinforcements, of course
3) The troll leader is not a problem, just sent burin, maybe a mauler and a couple of mages; sillver mages are quite helpful in this and the next 2 scenaria, hope you have some. However make sure you grab
the gold chest BEFORE killing the last enemy leader. If you do not,
you get no chest bonus; this is one of the rare occasions where finishing too early may be bad.
4) be careful when the undead arrive. Chocobones are deadly against
mages, so make sure your mages are protected. Basically this
means do not put your troops in too exposed a situation going for
a quick kill of the enemy leader; it's better to spare him an extra round
of 2 of recruiting than ending up spread thin for the undead attack.
For the same reason I made sure the western commander was the last one to kill in a single attack, before the undead had a chance to strike
but after I had the chance to strike at them and kill a few to gain some more XP.
Heidi M

Post by Heidi M »

Where is this gold chest? Does is suddenly appear?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Kill the leader who is most likely to have been paid off to help against Haldric(i.e. the trolls)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Heidi M wrote:Where is this gold chest? Does is suddenly appear?
north west from troll leader base

about 5 cell far
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

santi wrote:Kill the leader who is most likely to have been paid off to help against Haldric(i.e. the trolls)
You don't have to kill the troll, IIRC, you just have to move a unit over the gold chest, which is somewhere near his keep.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.