SoF/Choice must be Made

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thornhawk

SoF/Choice must be Made

Post by Thornhawk »

A few notes---I am using the stable version playing on medium. So I passed this level previously but ended up in the red. Went to "Choice must be made" with 100, recalled all my strongest lvl 3's I could afford, went north and got battered from the orcs and the wraiths who had reached me by turn 7.
I have read alot on these scenarios, but it seems that most of the suggestions apply to the older versions. BTW, the undead and orcs are allies in this version.
I went back to replay SoF to try to beat it and save some gold, and it has been frustrating. I've tried recruiting some lvl 1's to save $, but the AI sends waves of Ogres, L2 and L3 orcs etc.
I usually recall a dwarf lord, 3 steelclads, 2 thunderguards, and 3 or four L1 dwarves plus an arch mage, red mage, fast mage of light, and a shyde.
I can beat this level, but usually there aren't enough villages to keep myself out of debt.
Is this level out of balance?
Is "A choice must be made" do-able with 100 gold? I can't imagine how with the numbers of units the AI sends out.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pqueiro

Post by pqueiro »

Syntax_Error wrote:dwarves suck against undead.
Impact attack, my friend, rules against skellies and their ilk.
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thornhawk

Post by Thornhawk »

I haven't tried to go south, because I want the sword rather than the armour.

I'm saying two things basically---

1) Scepter of Fire is extremeley difficult to beat without going into the red.
If you suceeded, I'd like to have your imput

2) Can you go north and beat the orcs on 100 gold?

If so, how did you do it?
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Do you have two sylphs?
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Thornhawk

Post by Thornhawk »

I only have one shyde, no sylphs. In fact, I only have 2 level 3 healers, a shyde and a mage of light.

Anyway, I completed the level with positive gold---Here's how I did it:

1) Save your game before you move anything, turn one.
2) Recruit all your strongest units regardless of cost--you will go into the red. You should have at least 2 dwarf lords BTW--they're the only units that won't get destroyed by the LVL3 trolls. Find a level with lots of villages. explore it.
3) Depending on the level, split your forces into 2 parties, one slow (2 hexes per turn), one fast (3+ hexes.)
4) Find the scepter.
5) Replay the level. Recall only what you need. Always Always move in units. Never let an individual unit attack alone, maybe in pairs, never alone, unless you are willing to lose it. Lvl 3 Trolls tend to jump out of the shadows and hit you for 40+ damage, doh!

I know this is not an honorable strategy. But this level is so random and dependent upon a) getting lots of villages, and b) the location of the scepter that I just couldn't seem to get through without losing units.
You have 4 bosses sending waves of enemies, lvl 2 and 3 trolls that always seem to hit, and skirmisher saurians that seem to have 70% defense everywhere (they don't, but they seem to be really lucky with never getting hit, much better luck than my 70% defense assassin sitting in a castle!)

I was never a saveloader before this level. I am trying to wean myself back off of it after getting hooked.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

yes

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
podunk

Post by podunk »

First of all I almost always go south - it's fun! I find the snow plains dull. Going south you finish fast fast fast and get a huge bonus. Return to Wesnoth is expensive.

By the time I get to this level even on hard I have so many level 3 units I don't need the flame sword. What I have had problems with is protecting Lishar. Even as a battle princess she's sort of a wimp. If she has the scepter *and* the armor instead of having to constantly cover her up and protect her she becomes the line breaker. With the armor and scepter she can face 2 royal guards in the *daylight* and one of them is for sure gone and the other one is hurt.

I went back to one of my saved games and played this with a 100 gold to start. 3 Dwarvish Lords, 1 white mage and one silver mage and it was no problem.

Once I killed off the first rush of wraiths I sent every one but 2 dwarf's, the white mage and Lishar north to take villages. Once the rest of the undead were dead I branched the dwarfs out for villages and went down with the white mage and Lishar for the death knight.

A little slower than I like, I only ended up with 485 gold at the end, but I made tons of money in Swamp of Dread so it evened out.