Dwarfish Thunderer debate

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Higher Game

Dwarfish Thunderer debate

Post by Higher Game »

There's just too big of a chance of the thunderguard missing, though. It's simply not as useful as a poacher in most situations.
Last edited by Higher Game on November 5th, 2006, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Higher Game wrote:There's just too big of a chance of the thunderguard missing, though. It's simply not as useful as a poacher in most situations.
I'm waiting for the answer to that statement from top-rank players, who, considering the replays i've seen, seem to largely favour Thunderguards over Poachers in most situations.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Higher Game wrote:There's just too big of a chance of the thunderguard missing, though. It's simply not as useful as a poacher in most situations.
If disinformation were a crime, you would have recieved capital punishment long ago.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Gus wrote:
I'm waiting for the answer to that statement from top-rank players, who, considering the replays i've seen, seem to largely favour Thunderguards over Poachers in most situations.
I guess it is almost more psychological than anything. I personally would like a good chance of doing a little bit of damage than a bad chance, or even a fair chance, of doing a lot of damage.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

It's again the deal with big strikes: If you whittle away at a foe with a poacher, you are likely to cause damage every time, but your foe can calculate it in and withdraw in time to heal. When a thunderer hits, suddenly most units are in deep trouble. You need to kill foes, not wound them.

But: yes, it is entirely possible to completely waste your thunderer's potential with a tad of bad luck.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Gus

Post by Gus »

My guess is that Xandria is (at least) partially right in his explanation, but since i'm not one of the top-ranked players i mentioned, there might be other explanations that i'm not aware of.
(It probably has to do with resistances, HP, and the like, too).
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

If they withdraw, the poacher can chase them down. The thunderer can't, unless for some reason he's shooting at woses and heavy infantry. :lol:

I do know HI were nerfed in the latest version, with lower impact resistance, so dwarven hammers now own them.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Higher Game wrote:If they withdraw, the poacher can chase them down. The thunderer can't, unless for some reason he's shooting at woses and heavy infantry. :lol:
He can also chase them down if they've gone through any slowing terrain - the thunderer has 1 move through hills, mountain, and forest, so it can easily catch up with normal units on many maps.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Now, I'm not usually the mean, sort, but Higher Game, you've been doing this quite a while, beginning to get on my nerves, and so i have some advice for you:

Before you offer strategies or tips, or make judgements about balance and what's overpowered, learn to play the game. Against human players of equal or greater skill level.

It will probably make you a little more popular.
hey.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Flametrooper wrote:Before you offer strategies or tips, or make judgements about balance and what's overpowered, learn to play the game. Against human players of equal or greater skill level.
You are my hero. Seriosly. :)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
JW

Post by JW »

Dragonking wrote:
Flametrooper wrote:Before you offer strategies or tips, or make judgements about balance and what's overpowered, learn to play the game. Against human players of equal or greater skill level.
You are my hero. Seriosly. :)
8)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Flametrooper wrote:Now, I'm not usually the mean, sort, but Higher Game, you've been doing this quite a while, beginning to get on my nerves, and so i have some advice for you:

Before you offer strategies or tips, or make judgements about balance and what's overpowered, learn to play the game. Against human players of equal or greater skill level.

It will probably make you a little more popular.
Can we have that inscribed upon the gates of the forum?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Why did we have to turn my nice thread about strategy into something so flameful?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
jg

Post by jg »

I use my Thunderers to 'eat' away the HP of units with a lot of it, and finish those units up with ones that have more hits but less damage (usually).

jg
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Glowing Fish wrote:Why did we have to turn my nice thread about strategy into something so flameful?
I wasn't flaming, I was advising. If you want flaming, fine with me. :wink: