The "How to play..." Series

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iso

Post by iso »

Big Bird wrote:hey, are you working on a loyalist one yet cause that is the one i really want! please do that one as soon as you can so i can learn some tips on how to use them to their full potential
I was wondering that too.. If you could please do so, and help us newbies out!
Thanks!
IsoHorn
Kingdoms and fortresses are just symbols for wealth and power, as is the act of destroying them
Imp

Post by Imp »

How to play Loyalists:

Spearmen rule. All lvl 1s are lawful, red mages are neutral. Your units are expensive and weak at night. Good luck! :-)
iso

Post by iso »

Imp wrote:How to play Loyalists:

Spearmen rule. All lvl 1s are lawful, red mages are neutral. Your units are expensive and weak at night. Good luck! :-)
Lol, already figured that out :).
Some more advanced help would be nice :P
IsoHorn
Kingdoms and fortresses are just symbols for wealth and power, as is the act of destroying them
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Because of JW's lack of time to dedicate to wesnoth and in agreement with him, I will be continuing the "How to play" series. Suggestions, and comments are welcome, especially from the good players. If you manage to convince me that I am wrong about something or that your hint is good, I will change/add that to the corresponding post.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's nice to see this series picked up again. You might wish to rewrite the whole thing to take into account some of the changes made since it started (especial the development version)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Mythological wrote:Because of JW's lack of time to dedicate to wesnoth and in agreement with him, I will be continuing the "How to play" series. Suggestions, and comments are welcome, especially from the good players. If you manage to convince me that I am wrong about something or that your hint is good, I will change/add that to the corresponding post.
I'd like to see a focus on the hard matchups.

Drakes vs Loyalists
Northerers vs Drakes
Drakes vs Undead

Specially Drakes vs Loyalists.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Fair enough - I really should have put more effort into HTP series. I intend to rectify that soon.
For now, you can read this from me about drake vs loyal matchups : http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 929#216929
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
PrinceRepulsive
Location: In the lowest room of the darkest dungeon trying to rescue an ugly rat princess.

Map section

Post by PrinceRepulsive »

Y'know, a while back I made a study on charge a while back, let me see... here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16664
It would fit perfectly into the map section here.
I'm no Prince Charming
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

What about discussing the Windsong here a bit? I know they're not a mainline faction, but a short treatise on them might be nice :)
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd say that getting all the mainline factions done should be a priority before any UMC gets attention.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

:roll: that is true for sure, but just in case there is someone who feels informed enough about them, yet does not feel like writing about a mainline faction, then he might answer my request, and write a few lines.
Writing about a classic faction and writing about the windsong is not mutually exclusive.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
JW

Re: The "How to play..." Series

Post by JW »

JW wrote: Another assumption is that the game is being played on the latest version of Wesnoth ( currently 1.2.5 for the stable branch and 1.3.4 for the development branch ).
lol...I think that this instruction should be replaced with an instruction at the beginning of each written section informing the reader of the current versions at the time of posting.

For most of mine they were written about 1.1.2a according to the wiki page.

I think the general strategies guides would be a good idea as well - also perhaps 1v1 map strategies, given enough time and effort.

Perhaps during my winter break I will attempt to catch up with some of the current gameplay; I have just downloaded the latest development branch: 1.3.10. 8)
(No guarantees or promises here in any respect.)
Sir_Furious

Post by Sir_Furious »

Imp wrote:How to play Loyalists:

hey imp...

BOWMEN rock, spearmen come in second,and the others are really specils.
have you read Elvish Pilagers guide to the horseman and mage?

i hope the loyalist thread gets some re do and fast.
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

i would like for JW to finish this..i want to learn to play rebels!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

lol the way to play any faction against any other faction:

see the damage type, resistances, and defense of all your units. Pick a decent mix if your enemy picked random. If not, pick the units that counter the enemies. Stay on good terrain unless you move to force the enemy into a more unfavorable position.

Keep the path from your villages near the front and your units open-->letting the enemy cut you away from them is bad.

Don't have single units--tight groups are easier to keep alive--but having too many units clustered together is bad--you want a few tight groups--this also lets you control the field using position better.

Don't ever assume an attack will work--try not to have to rely on desperate charges. If you'd lose a key unit/position if an attack fails, look for another alternative.

Now JW doesn't have to commit XD

But seriously, 90% of character specific guides are telling people things they can see by pressing 'd' while hovering over a unit
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well