How to play Undead

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

debnadaviebna

Re: How to play Undead

Post by debnadaviebna »

Some input on Undead vs Dwarves. When I started I hired 3 adepts, a ghoul, and a ghost, after my regular sparring partner had already hired 2 gryphons and 3 fighters. He asks where are my skeletons, I tell him they were scared by the impact damage and he quoted Eric Cartman, saying "you're breaking my balls". Ulfserkers could have killed my mages easily, but he only hired one and killed 2 mages with it. Through the rest of the game I hired mainly adepts, the occasional ghost, and one mroe ghoul. Only hired a single skeleton once he started breaking out the thieves and poachers, and they were no match for the adepts. I even killed a rifleman with an adept
Andrej

Re:

Post by Andrej »

yeeha wrote:Nice but still it wont tell how to fight heavy infantry + mage or wose + mage combo, specially on small maps if u tell me that miracle i will be eternally grateful :P . skeletons even at night and wose out of forest get usually enough dmg back to balance wose loss and if wose is in line its possible u wont get him down as 2 skeletons sometimes get enough unlucky even with 20%, in line u certainly wont kill him with adepts either as 2 adepts wont do it. With heavys, it depends largely on traits but u need probably 3 adepts too even on night so usually u need 3 units to overpower enemy heavyhitter, but enemyes at day with heavyhitter + mage tactic usually can kill ur unit with 1 or 2 units thx to fire and impact weaknesses so my question is what is there to do about it :).
I have spent some time analyzing undead vs. rebels in No Luck Era and here is what I have found out.
When it comes to play undead against rebels, the battle will be either short exciting and loosing or long relentless and victorious. The enemy you will probably face are Woses. You may attack them with Skeletons they will, however, cause tremendous damage in recoil. Surprisingly, Adepts will be effective neither, because Woses have 10% against cold and magic special will be useless if not disadvantageous. In this point I disagree with JW completely as Ghosts, with their 50% against impact and Woses having -30% against arcane, are the main wose killers of undead. High chance of hit will 1.5 times work in your favor due to drain. Your opponent won't like to fight them melee not even at day. So my first recruitment would have been: DA, 2 Skeletons, one Bat for grabbing and no more than that, a Ghoul and a Ghost. Sure, with only 10% against fire, Ghosts are somewhat vulnerable to Mages. Generally, unit that can deal with them are Adepts that are as strong ranged but much cheaper and have slightly more HP. Night is of course time when Skeletons will send Mages to hell.
Night-day push has to be in your favor as your units are significantly faster. It's essential to retreat at dawn at all costs, leaving a Ghoul to hold the frontline from a village. If your opponent is smart, he will do the same with Archers at forests. With your speed, you should be able to bypass them however.
It's a tricky fight. - Even a small mistake can immediately decide the outcome. You will head for promoting Ghosts to Wraiths and Skeletons to Deathblades, meanwhile your opponent will do the same with Mages and Shamans. The only chance of undead lies in predominance of village control. I might be wrong but it seems to me that with careful play undead are slightly better in this match.
SBak

Re: How to play Undead

Post by SBak »

I think the bit about the day/night push pull cycle in Undeads v. Rebels is misleading, given the fact that Rebels are mainly Elves which are neutral.

Rebels would only be relying on lawful Mages at Level 1, but even then it's not plain sailing for the Undead. Elvish Fighters and Scouts are quite effective against Dark Adepts, a couple of Archers and a Shaman can destroy a Skeleton (or Skeleton Archer) irrespective of the time of day.

Elvish Shamen may be weak but they level up quicker than a Mage and besides a Druid they can become a Sorceress. A Level 2 Elvish Sorceress is a major threat for the Undead irrespective of the time of day unless you have L2 Undead with strong melee attacks.