Orc Strategies

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Zhukov wrote:HG couldn't draw.
What evidence do we have of that? Just because he never posted any attempts at art doesn't mean he wasn't any good. For all you know, he was also a brilliant musical composer who could knock Aleksi and Timothy P out of the water. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

turin wrote:
Zhukov wrote:HG couldn't draw.
What evidence do we have of that? Just because he never posted any attempts at art doesn't mean he wasn't any good. For all you know, he was also a brilliant musical composer who could knock Aleksi and Timothy P out of the water. ;)
Heh.

Yes my dear sir, you are entirely correct. My logic is fundamentally flawed and I have insufficient evidence. Furthermore, I have failed to cite credible published sources.

So... this leaves just two vital questions:
Do you think he could draw?
Do you think Beholder is a HG alias?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

im pretty sure someone (Jetryl? doc?) suggested HG to take a new name to start with a fresh page.

but it would be kinda strange yes, that considering how much HG wanted to contribute in strategies, he didnt bother to contribute graphics before now, while, if they were a single person, he is be much better at graphics than strategies. which would, like, suggest them to be 2 persons.
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Syntax_Error wrote:im pretty sure someone (Jetryl? doc?) suggested HG to take a new name to start with a fresh page.

but it would be kinda strange yes, that considering how much HG wanted to contribute in strategies, he didnt bother to contribute graphics before now, while, if they were a single person, he is be much better at graphics than strategies. which would, like, suggest them to be 2 persons.
I am not Higher Gamer anymore... I leveled up and choose the "Obnoxious Artist" as my path of choice.

Just wait for level 3.
dalk

Post by dalk »

strange strategies you describe there...

Anyway, you must see that the main force of the orcs is the grunt. You should recruit them in masses, they're kinda like the best unit in the game.
On smaller maps, don't even bother recruiting wolf riders for scouting, they suck in actual combat.

Just start with a castle full of grunts, even if you don't know what your opponent will be playing. Next turn you recruit 2 more, and with a total of 8 grunts, go take most the villages on your side, and try to rearrange them so that you have 6 grunts on 1 side of the field and 2 on the other, mainly for defense when the night comes.

6 grunts at night will cut a path through elves, dwarves, loyalists and other orcs in the start of the game, because he will probably have less units, just kill their defenders and their support units will have to flee. grab as much villages as possible at dawn but don't bother retreating, just leave your grunts on the villages, and continue having a steady flow of grunts towards the front lines to keep the villages to distort his economy and get more grunts yourself.

The elves and to a lesser extent the dwarves don't have units to successfully counter this strategy. It's like an instant victory against elves. Orcs won't be able to strike back when daylight comes. Just keep in mind that heavy infantry is a succesfull counter to this strategy, but your opponent won't buy any of these at start since they're too slow and won't be able to field it untill dawn comes, so you'll have to use some assassins later on.
Keep in mind that trading units is allways to your advantage, since grunts are the cheapest lv1 units.

The only problem is when you recruit all grunts, and then you see your opponent is playing undead or drakes.
Against drakes it isnt too bad because when his first attack comes at the second dawn, you'll have backup with goblins/archers/assassins, and you can kill his scout units easily at night.(saurian requires 2 hits, and 2 grunts will usually do for the glider)

That leaves us with the undead. you are in a disadvantage, but only vs his skeletons, and he won't have that much at first dusk. Try to kill adepts before they are able to shoot, and ghosts just don't have enough attack to cut through your lines. Backup with trolls/archers and you'll stiil be able to win this match.

I really don't see the point in recruiting anything else then grunts at start :)
Xandria

grunts?

Post by Xandria »

Grunts will get pwned by adepts, as the adepts will have a skully to cover them.

Generally, buying all the same of one unit will not work.
Otherwise, why would there be any other units in the faction?

Grunts will get severely hacked if they have the misfortune of facing a strong elf fighter in a forest or village - and the guy costs only 2 gp more. Likewise, they have a good chance of totally failing against an archer hidden in woods.

Against all fleshy foes, you need an assassin. Likewise, on watery maps the naga will be hard to replace, and against the walking dead, you just need an archer.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I disagree that 6 grunts at night would beat the knlagans, assuming the person playing them is playing right. The dwarves on hills and mountains would be chalaging to attack with grunts that seems like an engagment doomed to failure, and the outlaws at night will pack a punch back at you. The olny way you are probably going to mount a succesfull attack on dwarves that have fortified is if you use assassins.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ereksos

agree

Post by ereksos »

i agree with dalk, :D. one reminder, not to let the enemy knows you are using this strategy though, as an innovative player can overcome this strategy given foresight.
EREKSOS
nebula955

Post by nebula955 »

dalk's strategy is awesome for some maps, such as basilisk's cave thingy map. The orcs need not always fight. Unless you have a durable unit on every single village, the orcs can often simply walk by you (WITHOUT ATTACKING UR DWARF STUCK ON A MOUNTAIN AND NOT DEFENDING A VILLAGE) and claim that village with a 40 hp grunt that may be hard to remove. From there, you are losing in gold and are continually losing with the flow of his units reinforcing his foothold. Night arrives again, and you get pwned again, etc. etc.
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

Velensk wrote:I disagree that 6 grunts at night would beat the knlagans, assuming the person playing them is playing right. The dwarves on hills and mountains would be chalaging to attack with grunts that seems like an engagment doomed to failure, and the outlaws at night will pack a punch back at you. The olny way you are probably going to mount a succesfull attack on dwarves that have fortified is if you use assassins.
Agree, and Agree with Xandria too.

Ok, you have 8 grunts Dalk.
The enemy needs only to cover+attack with range and you will die QUICK!
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

nebula955 wrote:dalk's strategy is awesome for some maps, such as basilisk's cave thingy map. The orcs need not always fight. Unless you have a durable unit on every single village, the orcs can often simply walk by you (WITHOUT ATTACKING UR DWARF STUCK ON A MOUNTAIN AND NOT DEFENDING A VILLAGE) and claim that village with a 40 hp grunt that may be hard to remove. From there, you are losing in gold and are continually losing with the flow of his units reinforcing his foothold. Night arrives again, and you get pwned again, etc. etc.
This saturday, 9.30 Rome Time, on server.
You try Dalk strategy, i play dwarves.

8)
dalk

Post by dalk »

Against elves you need a little luck with taking out the first unit on a village (probably a fighter), but 3 hits will solve that problem at night.

Unless the map is horribly unbalanced, you cant set up a defense with dwarves on hills and mountains alone, and their defense is only 50% on villages, easy grunt target. Outlaws have more, but they usually lack hp to defend a village. If there is a gap in the lines, grunts can flow through and just take all the villages, leaving your fortified dwarf defense useless.

Meanwhile, the other 2 grunts "defending" the other side should also advance, so the other player will have to leave at least 2 of his more expensive units (then grunts) there or you can break through on that side.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I'm sure any completely unexpected (because normally unviable) strategy can work if it takes the enemy unawares. Vampire Bat rush, anyone? :P
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

dalk wrote:Against elves you need a little luck with taking out the first unit on a village (probably a fighter), but 3 hits will solve that problem at night.

Unless the map is horribly unbalanced, you cant set up a defense with dwarves on hills and mountains alone, and their defense is only 50% on villages, easy grunt target. Outlaws have more, but they usually lack hp to defend a village. If there is a gap in the lines, grunts can flow through and just take all the villages, leaving your fortified dwarf defense useless.

Meanwhile, the other 2 grunts "defending" the other side should also advance, so the other player will have to leave at least 2 of his more expensive units (then grunts) there or you can break through on that side.
Has for nebula955: saturday morning i'm waiting you on server to try your strat. :)
palloco

Post by palloco »

dalk wrote:The only problem is when you recruit all grunts, and then you see your opponent is playing undead or drakes.
Against drakes it isnt too bad because when his first attack comes at the second dawn, you'll have backup with goblins/archers/assassins, and you can kill his scout units easily at night.(saurian requires 2 hits, and 2 grunts will usually do for the glider)
Mass grunting has been proven to be effective against many strategies. IMO it is specially effective against drakes, as they have fewer units and when they attack you they let the villages undefended, you get them and eventually their economy will crack down. It may be uneffective against other factions depending on the gameplay.