Need Help

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jester

Need Help

Post by Jester »

Hi, I am working on this Werewolf faction and I could use some help with the artwork.
The biggest problem I am having is that I can't make the background transparent, and I can't really down;oad some good picture-manipulating-program-things because I have a real [censored] computer (2 GB hard disc and stuff).
So if anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it.

The sprites that I made are found in this topic (Werewolves in the Ideas forum):
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8632

Thanks in advance etc.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
toms

Post by toms »

First:
The transparency: You will need either GIMP or Photoshop. (I use GIMP, BTW)

The easiest way is to create a new file with 72x72 pixel and transparent background.
The rubber button can make things transparent to the next layer.

You should also read the helpfiles of these programs. :wink:

Second:
The art itself: I can´t do it for you and it´s not easy to find one who does it.
But you can look in the wiki pages:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Creating_Unit_Art
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/External_Tutorials

These are the most important pages for learning to create unit art.

And here is Jetryl´s anti-alias turtorial. Also very useful.

:wink: :)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

If you don't want to download and learn the gimp (which is not a big software if I'm not mistaken), let me do some advertising for the little software Pixel Editor 1.0, which I use because I don't know how to use softwares like photoshop or the gimp, and which is about 1.1 Megabytes to download. It is quite easy to use. Of course it's free (if not I think doing advertisement here would be quiet a problem :P ).
EDIT : it handles transparency and it is particularly easy to draw antialiased sprites.
Last edited by Leonhard on January 28th, 2006, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disto

Post by Disto »

The Gimp is easy to learn, at least to a usuable extent, there are nifty functions whicch I don't even know about but... The Gimp just rules.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

From what I know, the GIMP might be ok if you're not on windows. If you are, then it's probably not worth the pain.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I'm on Windows and the Gimp works fine. :?
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Jester

Post by Jester »

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll download the GIMP.

@Leonhard:can you make transparent backgrounds with your Editor? If so, can you post a link?

@toms:
Well, as I said I don't really need help with the art itself (I have already made most of the images, haven't posted tehm all though), I just ened help with the transparency.
But, all help is appreciated ;)
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Disto wrote:I'm on Windows and the Gimp works fine. :?
You obviously have extraordinarily high tolerance for incredibly bad UI's. ;) But seriously, I really wouldn't count on ordinary windows users to have the patience to use something like the GIMP, that's why I wouldn't recommend it myself.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

zookeeper wrote:
Disto wrote:I'm on Windows and the Gimp works fine. :?
You obviously have extraordinarily high tolerance for incredibly bad UI's. ;) But seriously, I really wouldn't count on ordinary windows users to have the patience to use something like the GIMP, that's why I wouldn't recommend it myself.
Gimp 1.x on Windows has serious usability problems for two reasons: the way it uses windows does not interact well with the limitations of the window manager built into Windows, and it uses GTK 1.x, the Windows port of which leaves a lot to be desired. (Versions of Freeciv that use GTK 1.x are really horrible on Windows for this latter reason.)

Gimp 2.x on Windows is rather better in both respects. Dock all the major dialogs (layers, channels, paths, brushes, patterns, gradients, and the undo history) together beneath the toolbar, and that works pretty well, on the whole. There is some learning curve, especially if you are not familiar with the concept of layers, but it's worth it if you've been using something lame like MS Paint, since the time you spend learning Gimp will be rapidly gained back in time saved doing your actual editing, once you know how.

Gimp *does* have some system requirements though, and the original poster seems to be indicating that his system is rather old (2GB hard drives were common, when, in 1997?), however, so that could be an issue for him. In particular, one wonders how much RAM he has, since in that timeframe (when 2GB HDs were common), 16MB would not have been an unusually small amount of RAM. I would not like to run Gimp on a system with 16MB of RAM.

ISTR that IrfanView can do transparency, although it doesn't do much *else* in terms of image editing (apart from simple adjustments like gamma correction), and is mostly a viewer and format converter. Still, it's freely available (albeit not OSS) and has much smaller system requirements than Gimp and perhaps would be a better recommendation in this instance.
toms

Post by toms »

Jester wrote: @toms:
Well, as I said I don't really need help with the art itself (I have already made most of the images, haven't posted tehm all though), I just ened help with the transparency.
But, all help is appreciated ;)
Sorry, I have to read all posts more particularly. :( :o
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

you can find pixel editor at http://www.iconempire.com.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Thank you

Jester

Post by Jester »

testing transparency :)
Attachments
Unit_Werewolf.png
Unit_Werewolf.png (4.14 KiB) Viewed 9218 times

Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Jester wrote:testing transparency :)
Some edits. Improved shadow. Cleaned up some edges, and made unit more standard wesnoth height. Werewolves shouldn't be as tall or taller than ogres!
Attachments
unit_werewolf.png
unit_werewolf.png (5.98 KiB) Viewed 9169 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

Cool.

One question though, why can't werewolves be taller?