Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
pyrophorus

Return to Noelren portraits

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi,
Still searching for "cheap" ways to create portraits, I did this one with 3D software. At least, pose, shading and lights are correct.
Lestiviel-I.png
Lestiviel-I.png (109.67 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
How does it looks in your eyes ? Acceptable ? Awful ?

Friendly,
TheScribe

Re: Return to Noelren portraits

Post by TheScribe »

Well, it looks good, but it looks like it was made with 3D software. I know it was, but it doesn't look consistent with the Wesnoth portraits. Maybe if you can remove the feel that it was made out of clay?

Also, the left arm looks funny at the elbow. Don't really know why, but the bend looks funny.

Still looks good though. :)
Last edited by TheScribe on July 17th, 2012, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, it's not awful. Still, in order to improve it, I'd suggest experimenting with render settings quite a bit. Most importantly, try to figure out a way to render outlines (either as a separate image you can combine with the basic render in a 2D app, or not). Also, a cell/toon shader might be worth trying; it wouldn't produce as painterly images as LordBob's and kitty's are, but it might still work better than a plain 3D render. In any case, you should prepare to have to do some amount of post-processing in a 2D app.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

In photoshop, filter>artistic>

paint daubs or rough pastel or a combination seems to work better than the rest.

They probably need more processing but this could be the initial step. The main problematic area with these rendering is the face.

The elbow looks odd because the concavity at the dorsal surface of the arm, where the triceps should have been
triceps.jpg
triceps.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 4852 times
Attachments
combinination.jpg
combinination.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
paint daub.jpg
paint daub.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
rough pastel.jpg
rough pastel.jpg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

What are you rendering with, looks like an old scanline- go to Blender.org, the new cycles render engine is fast, accurate, and pretty forgiving. You can also do toon rendering, plus for more advanced toon rendering look for a "freestyle" build on graphicall.org. Other free options are luxrender and yafaray.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Thanks to you all for your replies...

Well, my problem here is not I lack tools or tutorials, but skills. I'm not a good artist and shall not become one tomorrow. For now, I only want to produce some not totally awful portraits for my campaign. If I summarize your suggestions, I think you're pushing me to mimic as best as possible the Wesnoth mainline style. Given I will not be able to make better than an awkard attempt to conform Kitty's or LordBob's style, I fear it shall give even worse results than working without any constraint.
Well, using a toon shader (and more light, because Battlestar clearly found the pic is too dark) gives this:
Lestiviel-II.png
Lestiviel-II.png (115.9 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
Is it really better in your opinion ? I can too shut the light coming from the staff to simplify the shadows. It was to create some effect like this:
Lestiviel-III.png
Lestiviel-III.png (78.77 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
These modifications are not time consuming. Creating outlines is. I don't want to spend a lot of time on a finally bad result.
@T_Crow: using Cycles out of the box gives this:
Lestiviel-C.png
Lestiviel-C.png (101.47 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
Friendly,
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Hmmm, I guess there are many ins and outs- what software is this originally created in? What did you export as? Many external renderers require you to remake materials according to their spec, so it can be a bit of tweaking for a good final result.
These modifications are not time consuming. Creating outlines is.
totally agree here, linework adds a massive amount of time to a portrait.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Crow_T wrote:... Many external renderers require you to remake materials according to their spec, so it can be a bit of tweaking for a good final result.
Exactly, that's why I posted this crap. To show I can try and learn a lot of wonderful softwares and finally get nothing done one year later :lol2:
I just want to know if my pictures are worth to be used or if I would better use mainline portraits.
Friendly,
johndh

Post by johndh »

You'll probably want to make the background transparent as well, by the way. You can do this by changing RGB to RGBA in the render settings.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

johndh wrote:You'll probably want to make the background transparent as well, by the way.
Sure ! This blue background is only for publishing purpose.
No other opinion ?
Friendly,
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I tried to find a "cheap" ways to create portraits too. The problem is the comic style and the (really) high quality of the ingame portraits.
If there is a way, it is not cheap or done in just a few minutes. Your elven looks nice, but will not fit to the other portraits used with Battle for Wesnoth.

One technique I used to create drawings is to redraw the lines of selfmade photos on a new layer, but that takes time and you will end up with an unfilled drawing. I tried several filters in photoshop, there are some ways to combined several filters by using inversions. That is a way to turn a Photo into a comic like picture, but its all not convincing. There are some plugins such as "Toon it", "Stylize", "Sketch" which will allow you to create drawings of a photo, but that is not a cheap way. It is not an option but I just wanted to mention it.
Attachments
This is something that can be done with software such as Gimp/Photoshop using filters - unfortunately unfilled.
This is something that can be done with software such as Gimp/Photoshop using filters - unfortunately unfilled.
Lestiviel-Testdrawing.png (137.71 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I can't link it now, but if you search "Planetside 2 concept art" on YouTube, there's a couple of videos that involve using 3D imagery for drawing.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Here is a cool technique that can be used as a starting point, or even a multiply/overlay layer over a flat-shaded piece. http://www.blendernation.com/2009/08/03 ... -polygons/\

Also with 3d you could easily get to this point:

Just a basic flat shader and toon lines, which can be rendered on separate layers btw. I imagine with the above technique you could vary the opacity of said multiply/overlay layer and/or tweak it with a filter to get closer to the mainline version.

Obviously the OP isn't interested, but if others are I can point them to Blender resources.