Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Hoplite unit

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, I was commenting only on the ones in your first and second posts. Didn't notice the later ones.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Those were just frankenstiened with recoloring :P
I´m about to finish this one,so i´ll post it here later,so you can comment if something is wrong.
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

And here it is almost done.Is the shading good?
And here in game

P.S. I know there are some stray pixels,but i noticed them after I uploaded so I´ll fix them.
My sprites,My Minitroops
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

It looks better, but still not truly shiny. If you were aiming for a sort of ceramic armour, great! Otherwise...

Also, your blue hoplites lose most of their shorts' (is it shorts? Uh...) shading - compared to the red TC, they have almost no difference in contrast. This is probably the game's problem though, and not yours.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Fog

Post by Fog »

Nah, it his. You need to use a lot of contrast with TC, otherwise it will appear flat in-game. Definitely make that tutu he's wearing longer, maybe something like this? My apologies for not finding a better reference, I have a feeling Roman gladiators didn't shave all their body hair off...
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Well i don´t think the greeks had them that long,but I could make them a bit longer. Also i think i made the shield a bit beter last night so i´ll post it later. Also i tried varius outlines for the shield but none looked natural so feel free to modify them if
you have an idea how to do it.
thanks for crit.

P.S. Last night I had an idea about an era with greeks,amazonans,persians and barbarians,so do you think its a godd idea to try and create that?
My sprites,My Minitroops
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

About your unit:
You used anti-aliasing on both part of the shield and the spear. You can't call it pixel-art until you get rid of the anti-aliasing, and this also makes the unit look crisper.

I whisked up a quick 2-minute alter to show you how to stick lighting on a flat object (e.g. the shield) and his helmet. Well, along those lines anyway. Never take a 2-minute fix too seriously.
It was a fast fix, so remember not to take this too seriously.
It was a fast fix, so remember not to take this too seriously.
lighthoplite4.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
About your era:

If you're going to make a historical era, there's an important thing to remember.
Don't make it too historically accurate or people will get bored.
Don't make it too wrong or people will go "I'm pretty sure that the Vikings didn't have PK-99 machineguns and tanks." :lol2:

Also, barbarians is a pretty generic term. According to our friends the Romans, barbarians are Goths, Germans, the Gauls (also known as the French), the Carthaginians...And that's just off the top of my head. That's the problem with calling something "Barbarians".

Sounds like a good idea though. If you need some code for it, then I'd be happy to do some part-time coding for you.

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

I can't tell if that unit is supposed to be bare-chested or wearing a bronze breastplate. If he's wearing armor, it could use more distinction from his skin. Nice work on the shields, you have some good shapes and shading going on with them. Overall, these are pretty good, but stronger outlines would help them be better. Examine the difference in how the sword in the in-game image you posted pops out from the surrounding terrain versus the way your spearhead kinda blends into it.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

The shield isnt sopoused to be flat,google hoplon and you will see :)
Also, barbarians is a pretty generic term. According to our friends the Romans, barbarians are Goths, Germans, the Gauls (also known as the French), the Carthaginians...And that's just off the top of my head. That's the problem with calling something "Barbarians".
Actually greeks called anyone a barbarian who isn´t greek so they would be people from dacia and alike,but the name can be changed.
I can't tell if that unit is supposed to be bare-chested or wearing a bronze breastplate. If he's wearing armor, it could use more distinction from his skin. Nice work on the shields, you have some good shapes and shading going on with them. Overall, these are pretty good, but stronger outlines would help them be better. Examine the difference in how the sword in the in-game image you posted pops out from the surrounding terrain versus the way your spearhead kinda blends into it.
He´s bare-chested.I didn´t like their spearheads so I made mine,maybe i´ll try again.
Last edited by Vranca on September 2nd, 2010, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My sprites,My Minitroops
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Reepurr wrote:About your unit:
You used anti-aliasing on both part of the shield and the spear. You can't call it pixel-art until you get rid of the anti-aliasing, and this also makes the unit look crisper.
Hm, I'm not really a pro in this, but I seriously doubt this statement. There's even an anti-aliasing tutorial on the wiki, and some sprites from some eras (EoM notably, I don't know about mainline or others) use anti-aliasing to great effect...

It i true that the spearhead could use a bit darker outlines, though :) But otherwise good job, I like your hoplites so far.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

Thanks,I´ll kepp going :)
The spearhead is fully drawn by me so it will definitly go through some changes,but I´m pretty happy with the rest of him. Today I´ll probably start on the lv.2 hoplite which should look like this one:
My sprites,My Minitroops
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

And here is the first lv.2 hoplite,mind that it´s stil wip,so any crits are welcome.
My sprites,My Minitroops
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

His body armour has good outlines, but it's very flat.

The helmet's plume seems to be twisted on the helmet: the helmet looks to be facing southeast but the plume seems to be facing east.

The helmet needs better shading, just like the body armour.

There's a huge left side on the helmet but no right side on the helmet. I know you're trying to portray him as looking southeast, but that's taking it a bit far.

The right of his shield has no outline again, and you still have a massive palette on the inside of the shield. Most pixel artists only use 4-5 shades of each colour; it doesn't really matter, but it does look weird.

And also, unless you changed the fist/spear shaft from last time, you still have a near-black outline on those parts. That's generally not used: try a dark brown outline instead.

SFault

Post by SFault »

Dixie wrote:Hm, I'm not really a pro in this, but I seriously doubt this statement. There's even an anti-aliasing tutorial on the wiki, and some sprites from some eras (EoM notably, I don't know about mainline or others) use anti-aliasing to great effect...
I hope you understand that AA can be done without using transparent pixels. It's like doing shading and that is a good thing, because jagged lines are fugly. Using some blur tool is not so good idea.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

In case it clears anything up about this:

I was talking about his use of translucent pixels to anti alias in the light hoplite. So bits of the unit would be blurring into the background.
[/derailing the topic]