Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Urs
Art Contributor

Sidhe and Imperial Era

Post by Urs »

After a rather long hiatus, I decided to try my hand at spriting again. First thing I did was update some of the Sidhe graphics from the Imperial Era (which is up on the add-on server, I think)

From left to right: Warrior, Raindancer, Wanderer. The wanderer's spear still looks a bit off to me, and I may redo the Warrior's sword. The Raindancer is a tad bit short - he'll also get some lightning effects on his left hand.

Comments?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Sidhe and Imperial Era

Post by Zerovirus »

Of course, coming from me, this may lack authenticity, but I think the Warrior's sword is too... Small? :P

It looks like a toothpick. Or at least an iron poker. Even the Fencer's sword is thicker in pixels.

They're very nice, though you're going to have to add faces, and perhaps more highlighted TC on the Raindancer and Wanderer.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Thanks!

I'll probably redo the warrior's sword... I have something slightly wider in mind, maybe even a different color. It should be more of a cutting sword rather than a poking sword.

Good call on the TC; I'll lighten that up a bit. With regards to the faces... I dunno. I kind of like them without faces, actually... it makes them look more like mysterious/serious elves, and less like cute tree huggers. We'll see, though.

Also, a note of clarification: I don't claim full credit for these: originally they were designed by neorice; then I team colored them (this was a really long time ago) and made them uglier; then Shadow/Wayfarer (is he still around, btw? I don't think the Aragwaithi version 2 were ever finished...) re did some of them working off of the original neorice sprites. Then I did another update for all of the sidhe incorporating Wayfarer's improvements*... these are updates of that last revision.

*Essentially the history of the Sidhe graphics is an awesome artist made them and I messed around with them for TC, usually making them slightly worse. Some of my last generation ones were okay though. This is an attempt to bring them all up to par.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Nice improvement overall.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
furioso

Post by furioso »

Looking nice, especially the raindancer. Good to see Orbivm still has some life it it :)
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

They need faces. They look silly without. You can make faces which aren't cute at this scale if you try =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
boru

Post by boru »

Maybe it's just my bizarre way of seeing things, but I didn't immediately recognize the Wanderer was holding a spear. The ribbon on top seems too long and for a second, he looked like he was carrying a giant wishbone. They are excellent sprites, though, only need a few finishing touches.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Thanks for all the comments! I've been a bit busy, but I did implement suggestions - except for the faces, which I'll do at the end. Right now I'll do them all without, and figure the faces out when I created them faceless first.

Also: I stole Wayfarer/Shadow's revision of the Fury (leftmost unit) and Turin's from-scratch version of the Spirit (rightmost). I also stole the spear tip from Wayfarer's Wanderer, because it was awesome. Currently working on the Herald.

I may (probably will) end up slightly modifying the Fury and Spirit, though it may be for the best to just leave them alone.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Quick progress report, I hope I can be forgiven for the double-post:

I've been working on the herald, which has been a bit of a problem. It'll be done soon, though. I've actually been using my time to get the current Imperial Era working on the campaign server, as it was in a rather sorry state and Gambit informed me that it was causing OOS errors.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

woohoo, triple post.

Did some stuff for the herald... I'm not sure I'm too happy, but I think it works fine. Also tried to give him a face - does he look sad?

Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Urs wrote:woohoo, triple post.
Arrest him.

It doesn't really look like a face. I cant' distinguish any facial features. Except the eyes which are too far apart.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Face needs much darker eyes. You can get away without other features at a pinch (nose will be a bright spot or line, mouth could be absent or just a shadow) but you need to show the eyes. I'll give you a suggestion when I get my computer back in a week or so.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

hmm, thanks for the tips.
I did the bladespinner too, (with some frankensteining involved), and even gave him some darker eyes... comments/critique?

*the bladespinner is the one in the middle
I'm still not sold on giving them faces, but since consensus demands it...

On an minor note, I just figured out shadows are 60% opacity, not 80%... I'll be fixing that.
AtemTheLightning

Post by AtemTheLightning »

The one on the left has no eyes.
Fog

Post by Fog »

:annoyed: As of now Urs is doing facial features (such as eyes) very lightly, if you look up close, eyes are still present.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!