EVILEST's stuff for EoM

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
EVILEST

EVILEST's stuff for EoM

Post by EVILEST »

A friend introduced me to Wesnoth not long ago, and it's been a lot of fun. Thanks for making and maintaining such a great game!

I realize that a good deal of the Wesnoth portraits are already taken care of. The awesome artwork inspired me to contribute to the game somehow.

I recently tried out Era of Myths, and I've enjoyed it a lot. I noticed that there aren't any portraits attached to the units.

So, for some fun and practice, I did a few vampire portraits as I find myself using the faction quite a bit. I'm not sure who is in charge of Era of Myths, and I hope these aren't too far from the creator's original vision of these units.

Thanks again to everyone responsible for making an awesome game!
Attachments
SDancer.png
SDancer.png (183.91 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
BHulk.png
BHulk.png (164.12 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Fledge.png
Fledge.png (113.01 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Bloodborn.png
Bloodborn.png (122.49 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
Last edited by EVILEST on June 23rd, 2010, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hey all, newbie here hoping to contribute!

Post by artisticdude »

:shock: Aaaaaawesome. Very awesome. I love the lighting. And the Blood Hulk is pure win. You've just made the era of myths crew very happy.

EDIT: Although the creator of the era hasn't been around since September last year, so I'm unsure of the current status of the era... but there are several other eras that use the vampire faction, and they'll put these to good use.
Last edited by artisticdude on June 8th, 2010, 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hm, indeed. Too bad JW isn't around anymore.

In any case, Era of Myths is not part of mainline, so I'm moving this thread to Workshop now if you don't mind.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Important note: all portraits should have a transparent background. The smaller portraits with a black background are used only in the unit help pages, whereas the bigger, transparent ones are needed for when a unit of that type speaks (which is sort of the main function of portraits even if regular MP doesn't feature any dialogue).
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

As zookeeper says, the portrait specs are 200x200 black background and 400x400 (up to 500x500 for huge units) transparent background, cropped only at bottom and left. (no problem there)

If JW and velensk don't get back any time soon, I'll make sure they get in myself.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Point of order: it's 205x205 black background.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Awesomeful stuff, they really have an otherwordly feel to them, perfect for vampires!

You clearly have talent, and if you don't mind adapting your style somewhat, you could also try your hand on mainline art. At any rate, developers of user-made content would do despicable things to have quality artwork like that. Welcome, and I hope you stick around. :D
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Ok, you're good. That's for sure

here is the standard "new artist with high chances of producing mainline quality stuff" intro

hope to have you onboard soon

Ok, obviously you know what your doing and your first try is close enough to mainline style to show that you'll be able to use that style with little practice. I'll give you a quick tour of our Art Community so you don't get lost.

Basically our forums are built around forum titles ( written under the people names, as you can see with my own)

* No title (or not art related title) => Did nothing with regard to art
* Art Contributors => Have contributed artwork to the mainline game
* Art Developers => The 'art staff', have the power to add artwork to the mainline game, and can generally be relied upon for good critique
* Portrait Director (kitty and LordBob) => Gives go/no-go to portrait contributions
* Art Director (jetryl) => Gives the go/no-go to contributions

It is important for you to understand that distinction, because people with no art knowledge may not give comment and critique as well as people with art knowledge. If you disagree with a comment from someone with no title, just don't follow the advice.

You should consider comments from art contributors and art developers as comments coming from knowledgeable people, and worth considering... Of course, your art is yours and you are free to not follow the advice, but you should consider them. One thing to be aware of is that this forum is dedicated to getting artwork ready for the mainline game. We treat your work realistically - we're not going to praise it just because you posted it here. Please don't take offence at suggestions to improve your work - if you're looking for blind praise, you're in the wrong place.

Jetryl, kitty, and the Art Developers usually have very clear comments which tell if a change is needed to get something into mainline or just a suggestion to improve. These people will have the final say on whether something goes into the mainline game or not.

If you try to do a portrait for a specific character (from a campaign for example) you should try to contact the campaign author first and try to post your linework as soon as possible (even if it's just a scanned sheet of paper) That's because the original author might have a particular "vision" on his character and having early feedback will usually be good for everybody

The part about submiting your work "early and often" is a good advice even if your not drawing a campaign character, by the way....

Now the forums...

We have three art related forums:
* "Art contributions" is for pieces of art intended for mainline
* "Art workshop" is for pieces for user made content, and for users who are posting for critique to help to develop their skills.
* "Art development" is limited to people with an art title. Some artists don't like having their work openly criticised, and post there instead of the open forums.

One last point...

All wesnoth contributions are made under the GPL. I am not good at explaining legalese, but you should read it since your work have high chances of being mainlined at some point...

Good luck with the portrait, it looks great.
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Wowee. Speaking for the peanut gallery, we look forward to seeing more from you.
You may want to find some mainline units still in need of portraits or in need of updated portraits and try your hand at those.

:hmm: I wonder if any undead portraits need doing.
Fog

Post by Fog »

Those are truly phenomenal portraits. You made such crisp textures and folds in clothing. I must play EoM once more.

I love the lighting and.. well everything. It captures the units qualities fantasticaly.

For some petty criteque, the sword in the right hand of the sword dancer is quite large, but this may only be because of a large bell guard. You also might want some references there.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
EVILEST

Post by EVILEST »

Sorry about posting this in the wrong spot. I had no idea that EoM is currently in limbo - though I'll still chip away at making more vampire portraits. Probably get started on making some portraits for the other EoM factions too.

How final are the sprites used in EoM? Are the designs for the units pretty much locked in? I'm trying to figure out how much is left open to interpretation when it comes to doing portraits.

I'll shrink the work down and make versions with transparent backgrounds soon. And make the Sword Dancer's weapon smaller.
I'd love to help out on content for the main game, although I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done. I'm also tentative on just going about making portraits for factions that have most of their artwork in place (not sure if the artists responsible for the existing portraits have work that's in progress).

Thank you all for the kind words, and for taking the time to check out these pics!
EVILEST

Post by EVILEST »

Ok, so correct sizing on the pieces, and the sword change.
Attachments
Fledge400 copy.png
Fledge400 copy.png (135.47 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
Fledge205.png
Fledge205.png (42.44 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
Bloodborn400 copy.png
Bloodborn400 copy.png (139.68 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
Bloodborn205.png
Bloodborn205.png (41.98 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
EVILEST

Post by EVILEST »

-
Attachments
SDancer400 copy.png
SDancer400 copy.png (208.84 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
SDancer205.png
SDancer205.png (67.77 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
BHulk400 copy.png
BHulk400 copy.png (191.84 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
BHulk205.png
BHulk205.png (54.18 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, the Bloodborn looks cool. I can't put my finger on it, but it looks kinda like a mix of Dr. Doom, the guy from V for Vendetta, and those masks you see in a program for a play.

Oh, and the Hulk looks kinda like the Ghoul, which right now has a very old not-good portrait. Perhaps you could possibly make a Ghoul one too...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Hulavuta wrote:Oh, and the Hulk looks kinda like the Ghoul, which right now has a very old not-good portrait. Perhaps you could possibly make a Ghoul one too...
Afraid I got the ghoul covered.
Last edited by Valkier on June 9th, 2010, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.