Stern's Art: Speckles the Toad

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Monroid

Re: Stern's Art: Goblin Prime

Post by Monroid »

What about adding the standard goblin mouth-mask to see if it helps?

(Just a mild suggestion, it looks great Stern!)
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

It's ok for the Prime's face to be hidden beneath the helmet. It means his head is well protected. :-)

I finished up his attack animation and added a ball to the end of his spear to counterweight the blade. Let me know if you see anything odd that needs fixing.

Next up are the defence frames!
Attachments
Goblin Prime-attack7.gif
Goblin Prime-attack7.gif (5.79 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Goblin Prime.png
Goblin Prime.png (5.99 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Doing things one step at a time. Current Project: Speckles the Toad!
boru

Post by boru »

I like it very much. One minor thing which you may or may not want to bother with. His ear seems to line up almost exactly where the spear is, making the ball on the end appear to have slid down the length of the spear somewhat. Looked a little odd but other than that I'm happy with it.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

Finished defence frames!
Goblin Prime-defend2.gif
Goblin Prime-defend2.gif (2.11 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
I made some adjustments to the attack animation. Smoothed the transition between the Goblin Prime pulling back his spear and going back into his "ready" stance.
Goblin Prime-attack8.gif
Goblin Prime-attack8.gif (5.78 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Beginning Lead frames now.
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

I decided to experiment with the Goblin Prime's lead animation. The Goblin Prime performs a short hop while raising his barbed spear overhead. For the Ranged frames, I only moved the active element. I believe that this will be sufficient to accentuate him chucking a spear at an enemy. I made custom projectile frames to match the Goblin Prime javelins. All graphics are enclosed. Enjoy the gif!
Attachments
Goblin Prime.gif
Goblin Prime.gif (12.99 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
Goblin Prime Complete.tar.gz
(91.46 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
boru

Post by boru »

Very nice work. The only thing I'm going to pester you about is a northeast facing frame.

The projectiles are much better than the mainline one (which was obviously designed for a human spearman). Yours ought to be used for the mainline gobo spearman and impaler. I'll be using this for all my spear-casting gobo units.

The leading animation is a blast. I need to center the little gleaming bit better, but here's a screenshot to give you an idea.
prime-lead.png
prime-lead.png (112.03 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Aww, leave the poor mudglob alone :(
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Cool. I do find that the leadership part looks a bit weird tho. The arms would be more comfortable straighter or with the spear in just one hand.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Stern wrote:I decided to experiment with the Goblin Prime's lead animation. The Goblin Prime performs a short hop while raising his barbed spear overhead.
Haha, I really like that. Nice job Stern!
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

I'm really happy with how the lead frames turned out. His arms aren't completely outstretched because his giant pauldrons restrict some of his movement. Here is a north east facing of the Goblin Prime. A ne facing of the Goblin Trumpeter is forthcoming.

Edit: Uploaded Goblin Trumpeter ne facing.
Goblin Trumpeter-ne.png
Goblin Trumpeter-ne.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Goblin Prime-ne.png
Goblin Prime-ne.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
For my next project, I am going to practice some walk cycles. Here's a rough draft of the Ghast's walk cycle. Now I have a good use for those spare attack frames...
Ghast 2.gif
Ghast 2.gif (6.18 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
boru

Post by boru »

The NE facing sprites look great.

It's really hard to judge the ghast walking cycle. It seems like he's throwing his arms down an awful lot. It's very similar to his attack. Hope that is helpful.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

mm. Much as having the arm movement is nice, I'd scrap it for the walking. It's too difficult to read.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

TBH, I thought it was an alternate attack animation before I read the post. :hmm:

The leg movement is great, but the mouth and arms all scream "Chomp and swallow you whole!", like the attack animation did. Also, bear in mind that the walking animations will cycle very quickly (like the saurians' in 1.9), so the arm/torso movement will probably end up playing too fast for the player to comprehend such a massive upper body movement very well.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Stern
Art Contributor

Post by Stern »

I changed the arm movements to resemble a casual lumbering gait for the Ghast. I don't envision the Ghast as nimble or graceful creature, but more of a large ponderous monster lurching along towards its next meal. The animation isn't as smooth as it could be, but do the arm movements look better?
Attachments
ghast-anim24.gif
ghast-anim24.gif (6.42 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
Last edited by Stern on December 4th, 2010, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Definitely. It's worth being aware, though, that the walk animation is very fast - the unit only spends around 170ms in each hex at standard speed. You might be able to make the animation take up multiple hexes though, I'm not sure - personally I think one step per hex should work fine visually, I just don't know if it's possible technically.