Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone want to give me a try?

Post by artisticdude »

Hey, the helmet looks great! Impressive work with the sword, but I'm worried that it seems a bit crooked. Or is it just me? Anyway, I can fix the shield up (it doesn't really need it though :wink: ), thanks a million for fixing the TC. And I just have to tell you again how great the helmet looks. You got the very look I was searching for without success.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
melinath

Post by melinath »

Of all the ones posted since my last post, I prefer option1.png. However, the shadows on the armor are still weird. Maybe revert to the original armor shading from before the drop shadows were added?

Mirion's version has better outlines on the helmet, for sure, but the sword is a little crooked (try playing a bit with outline darknesses) and the right arm is oddly shriveled.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I took Mirion's work and made the arm a bit thicker and straightened the sword. Does the right arm look too dark? I'll work on the shadows.
Attachments
reworkedsword.png
reworkedsword.png (5.61 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ooh, excellent :). I had attempted to make the sword look foreshortened but I guess it didn't turn out so well. That looks good though!

All I did with the helmet was add some low opacity black over the edges. You had the shape, you just couldn't really pick it out, so basically I just gave you sunglasses 8).

I think the helmet would look better if that very last pixel at the left top end was removed, thus curving it more. Oh and one more thing, the sword has no pommel. (there's no hilt coming from the back of his hand).
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
melinath

Post by melinath »

I've done a few tweaks, as long as this is turning collaborative. Hope you don't mind.

To make a dark outline, take the outline color, reduce the value, and increase the saturation. Be bold!
sword-master.png
sword-master.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Also, there shouldn't be a pommel, I don't think - it would be hidden behind the fist if the sword is coming toward the camera. The hilt itself needs to wrap around the sword a bit more than it had been. Do you think this looks all right?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (51.69 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
As you can see, there are still some issues with TC - most notably that the light spots stand out way too much. I can fix those in a few days myself, but you're welcome to, as well.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

melinath wrote:Also, there shouldn't be a pommel, I don't think - it would be hidden behind the fist if the sword is coming toward the camera. The hilt itself needs to wrap around the sword a bit more than it had been. Do you think this looks all right?
I was thinking that there would be maybe one two pixel of the pommel seen, but I guess it would work without them. As for the hilt, what level of unit is this? Is it the smaller one, or the bigger one lol? 'Cause if it's the smaller one, I'd say leave the hilt then give him a more impressive hilt (with gold filigree or whatever it's called over it and stuff). And the shield, is it still red? I can't really tell, there shouldn't be a problem with my TC..at least I hope, 'cause then all my units' TC is off :augh:. *prays*
melinath

Post by melinath »

Mirion147 wrote:And the shield, is it still red? I can't really tell, there shouldn't be a problem with my TC..at least I hope, 'cause then all my units' TC is off :augh:. *prays*
There are some stray pixels - you probably just missed them with your brush.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

This is the higher level unit, the 'masterswordsman'. This TC stuff is driving me crazy. And yes, everyone please feel free to edit this sprite in whatever way you want to. As for the pommel, I tried several times but it always ended up looking too pointy. I am worried that, depending on the amount of life this unit has, the life bar will cover the end of the sword. Gold edging might be nice, but I'm more concerned about the form/color/TC right now. The right arm still looks too dark, doesn't it? Any opinions on that?
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

i don't think that having stuff behind the health bar is a problem, unless it's the whole thing, but just having the tip hidden wont be so bad, and you'll still see it when it's turned around. I think the arm is fine, 'cause it is somewhat behind the body.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

artisticdude wrote:This TC stuff is driving me crazy.
TC Explained. Personally I work of a mainline sprite whenever I'm using TC, be sure to use a hard edged tool, as soft edged ones don't give the exact value.

There's also the TC pallet in "Battle for Wesnoth x.y.z (note: actually it's not in the data directory, but the main BfW directory)/images/tools/magenta_team_color_palette.png"
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
melinath

Post by melinath »

I think the main problem w/ the right arm right now is that it isn't segmented.

I would prefer not to have the tip of the weapon under the health bar; I actually prefer the weapon across the body, but the shading on the plate was wonky.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Well you could always just do something like this:
Attachments
sword-master-resword.png
sword-master-resword.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I took a stab (haha :lol2: ) at the posture Mirion suggested. I messed the edge of his glove up, but the sword looks plausible, doesn't it?
Attachments
sworddude.png
sworddude.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I'm just gonna say right now, I'M HORRIBLE WITH ARMS. *sigh* ahh :), that being said, that looks good. But from what I can see right now, the TC is messed up (just replace your shield with mine and it should be fine.)
melinath

Post by melinath »

That looks pretty good! The new pose reminds me of something... don't know what... but it's okay. However, he does need an elbow. :-) Slightly darker outlines on the helmet would also be good, but you're making great progress! I'd say he's almost finished. Are you planning on trying animations, too?