Jack's Workshop

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JackBarber

Jack's Workshop

Post by JackBarber »

This is a little place where I will be posting my attempts at wesnoth sprites.
Feel free to use and/or modify them as you want but please repost the modified versions here.
Critiques and comments are welcome.
Attachments
A knight person, Hero maybe? My second attempt.
A knight person, Hero maybe? My second attempt.
Jack#1.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Warrior guy, My first attempt.
Warrior guy, My first attempt.
Canineman#1.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Frogger5

Re: Jack's Workshop

Post by Frogger5 »

first of all, good job. But if you want to make wesnoth style sprites, your going to have to ditch the checkered patterns on the second one also, try not to make it completely black outlined. Study the unit reference page. I learned alot from that. I also found it was esiar to pick up the style from frankenstiening slightly. as in, taking a sprite and using its shape to make your unit (and maybe attach another head as those are the hardest to get right (i do it myself)). But yer this is a good start, btw the swords quite good. but te guys body looks flat (from the checkered pattern).
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

If you didn't notice the top is the second attempt... the one your talking about was the first.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

JackBarber wrote:If you didn't notice the top is the second attempt... the one your talking about was the first.
I believe he meant second in terms of order of stacking, not in the actual number of the attempt you noted on them.
Frogger5 wrote:Study the unit reference page. I learned alot from that. I also found it was esiar to pick up the style from frankenstiening slightly. as in, taking a sprite and using its shape to make your unit
Good advice, it helps to work from an existing base and teach yourself how to draw Wesnoth-style sprites that way, instead of starting from scratch.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Turuk wrote:
JackBarber wrote:If you didn't notice the top is the second attempt... the one your talking about was the first.
I believe he meant second in terms of order of stacking, not in the actual number of the attempt you noted on them.
Thats what i meant yes
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

... Do you know what I even meant?
Seeing as the second attempt has different shading I think the problem is already sort of solved...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If you put two sprites up, people are far more likely to comment on them in the order in which they appear on the page. If you'd prefer people to look at your latest work, attach it to the post you put up when you've finished it. That way, older versions remain for comparison, and you avoid confusing everyone.

Your most recent work is far too small, and looks very flat. It's not that bad, but it'll be easier for you if you give yourself a good deal more room to work with.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

thespaceinvader wrote: Your most recent work is far too small, and looks very flat. It's not that bad, but it'll be easier for you if you give yourself a good deal more room to work with.
Haha... That's funny, someone said that the wolf guy looked to big...
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

thespaceinvader wrote: Your most recent work...
As in your (afore mentioned) second attempt. The little one, with the shield.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Oh, such confusion. Perhaps they should be called Top and Bottom, Knight and Warrior, Jack and Canineman instead of First and Second? ;)
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

There's absolutely no consistent style between the two sprites, and neither are in an acceptable Wesnoth-style.

I'd recommend experimenting and practicing over and over again and not posting them until they look right. Yes, this means that sometimes entire sprites (with hours of work on them) will not be posted. You have to have a high standard, though. Your harshest critic needs to be yourself. No one will give you decent comments and criticism unless the base concept has promise.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Aethaeryn wrote:I'd recommend experimenting and practicing over and over again and not posting them until they look right.
Granted, he should wait until he gets much closer to the style of Wesnoth before posting if that is his goal, but he should at least start posting them once he's getting the hang of the style as then other people could help him get them to look right by offering advice on minor details that seem out of place. Still, that's a long road to travel.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Comparing your work with mainline units is generally a useful thing to do, in terms of size, shading, anatomy, etc etc etc. It will give you useful insight in both these sprites.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Turuk wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:I'd recommend experimenting and practicing over and over again and not posting them until they look right.
Granted, he should wait until he gets much closer to the style of Wesnoth before posting if that is his goal, but he should at least start posting them once he's getting the hang of the style as then other people could help him get them to look right by offering advice on minor details that seem out of place. Still, that's a long road to travel.
Let me rephrase:

If something doesn't look right, and you can figure it out by yourself (either by a little bit of patience or by coming back to it the next day), it's better not to post it because people will get tired stating the very obvious (in fact, often you could probably fix it in the time it takes someone to reply). If you're genuinely stuck, you can of course ask for help.

Still, if you don't think it will be representative of your talent and think you can tweak it a bit later, you really can't put too much work into a sprite before posting. It will only make you look better. Honestly, most of my sprites suck at first until I put that extra hour or two in them. You'd be surprised how much moving around a few pixels until it looks right makes a big difference at this scale, and you get better when you do it.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Well, I started by trying to make a base for a unit using 3D cubes... and well...
Attachments
Blockstack
Blockstack
Basetest1.png (412 Bytes) Viewed 2967 times
colored and all...
colored and all...
Basetest2.png (632 Bytes) Viewed 2967 times