Darcsabre's Sprite Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
darcsabre

Darcsabre's Sprite Art

Post by darcsabre »

So I don't have much time to devote to sprite art, but I felt like giving it a try. I'll post my work here, and any critic is welcome.

This is a recoloring of Zerovirus' lizardman. I just tried giving him some armor.

And this is my first sprite. I did it from scratch, but I compared it to the Thug so I could work on proportion. It needs a little work, any advice?

Also, I use Paint to draw Sprites, but I am thinking of getting GIMP if I hope to take this seriously.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Re: Darcsabre's Sprite Art

Post by Lord Ork »

Seems bigger than the thug, specially the head. You should use darker outlines. Anyway, it's a very good start.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

I sprite solely in paint, using GIMP for transparencies. And I take my spriting serious. (Even if it's whimsical.)
Meow
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

kyi_the_bard wrote:I sprite solely in paint, using GIMP for transparencies.
Why would anyone ever possibly do that. Paint may be fun as a challenge of doing something in a sucky environment, but for anything beyond that...
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

You could think of using Paint instead of GIMP as training at high altitude for when you get to run a marathon at regular altitude.

But I personally just think Paint's not as complex as GIMP, which I'm still in the process of learning.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Neorice uses paint (IIRC), and no one could call him bad ;)

It's about what you're comfortable with, plenty of GIMP users can produce bad art, just as Paint users can.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Zerovirus wrote:You could think of using Paint instead of GIMP as training at high altitude for when you get to run a marathon at regular altitude.
You could think of using Paint as training to light a fire with a flint, for when you need to cook your meal with a microwave.
Cloud wrote:Neorice uses paint (IIRC), and no one could call him bad ;)
The ratio of the amount of skilled pixelart people using either PS-likes or specifically pixelart software to the amount of skilled pixelart people using Paint is some 100+ to one, so the point is quite void though.
Cloud wrote:It's about what you're comfortable with, plenty of GIMP users can produce bad art, just as Paint users can.
A 5-year-old can produce pretty bad paintings with both tomato ketchup and oil paint. That means oil paint is not superior to tomato ketchup.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The difficulty curve in GIMP is extreme. I still haven't winkled all the tricks out of its innards. But make no mistake, it is a better tool than paint (and I don't think Neo still uses paint. I'm pretty sure he's moved to more versatile tools). I find layers particularly invaluable in my spriting, since they mean that you can mess about with things that are lower in the z-order/behind other things in the screen, and still keep them totally intact rather than winding up losing bits of them when you might need to keep them for later. It also helps to have transparency effects easily available, not to mention a decent colour pallette, near-infinite undo states... I could go on. If you're serious about spriting, you NEED to get used to a serious program. No buts about it.

Paint is all very well for the first tries, but getting a good tool will help you SO much. It's also a HELL of a lot easier to use a tool like GIMP for animations. There was a reason, way back when, that neo never animated the sprites he made (nowadays, that reason is more that animating tends to be boring) - animating in paint is damn near impossible.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

thespaceinvader wrote:animating in paint is damn near impossible.
Funny that you would say that - my first experience with animation was through the undo mechanism of MS Paintbrush of windows 3.1 - iirc it had only one undo slot (MS Paint has 3), so the undo key iirc also worked as a redo key, so by pressing the undo shortcut key really fast, you could have a 2-frame animation!

The point is obviously still true, but thought id mention it
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A 2-frame animation consisting of a single tool-action ;)

Although, i suppose that tool action could be a copy/paste...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.