Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Morgoth

Banebow Portrait

Post by Morgoth »

Hi,
I'm not a Master of Arts, but I'm trying to paint a portrait for the Banebow.
At the moment I'm stucked on painting the clothes and so I want to ask if you could give me some tips and critiques.

(P.S.: The fletching is missing, I'll add it later)
Attachments
(bad) inked drawing
(bad) inked drawing
skelink.png (89.52 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
current status
current status
skelcolor.png (64.29 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Banebow Portrait

Post by Gambit »

Better lines will equal a better finished project. I think you should spend more time on step one before you move on.
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

Do you think vectors would do the job?
My drawing is better than the inked one, I had some Problems with scanning it.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Vectors would be less fuzzy so that is a step in the right direction. But you'd do just as well converting your lines into paths.
Also skeletons require a great deal of anatomical knowledge. I imagine they'd be harder than regular people. :hmm:

I'm not an artist so my advice only goes so far.
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

Gambit wrote: Also skeletons require a great deal of anatomical knowledge. I imagine they'd be harder than regular people. :hmm:
-I did my best with the skull, the arms and the hands.
-What do you mean with harder?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

More difficult.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

This is a very minor nitpick, but bows are usually draw back past the ear. Also, the arrows should be the same color as bones, because they are made of bones.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I'd suggest looking over human skeleton anatomy - the skull isn;t bad though it could use more detail (still too flat even with the colouring) but the other parts suffer tremendously, especially the arm that pulls the string..in fact it seemsit doesn't actually pull it but just pats air behind the arrow, maybe holding the shaft - that's not how proffesional archers do and would maybe fit a lev 1 unit but a banebow should be rather experiencedin that manner. Another thing is that that one half of the arm is higher than the other while they're not lined up to meet, - half goes down, another half starts higher. I dare you to try twisting those bones like that too (better don't). The 'belly' part is beyond comment..well maybe not - i'd probably draw the spine similarly which is NOT a compliment (I'm a horrible drawer xD ).

This topic could go on and on and..Overally - check out skeleton anatomy

the best parts of the picture are the bow lines and the hood shading, i'll even risk writing that the bow is quite neat..cause it is!
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Morgoth wrote:I'm not a Master of Arts, but I'm trying to paint a portrait for the Banebow.
At the moment I'm stucked on painting the clothes and so I want to ask if you could give me some tips and critiques.
Well, any decent tutorial, book or some other thing on how to learn to draw. I feel it's kinda pointless to point out individual details when frankly almost every part of the drawing has more or less obvious faults and it's your overall approach to drawing that necessarily needs to change (and which will automatically fix most of those faults, too).

Jetrel has some good posts on that, I'm sure someone can link to those.
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Zigg wrote:This is a very minor nitpick, but bows are usually draw back past the ear. Also, the arrows should be the same color as bones, because they are made of bones.
Minor in relation to the other stuff, but I feel that I should point this out: when doing archery, you normally draw to the cheek/chin (at least, that's the way I've always done it/seen it done). Some quick google image searches show that this isn't always the case, though: kyudo (Japanese archery) uses a specific kind of bow and a draw past the ear. However, using a recurve and/or compound bow, I think that drawing to the cheek/chin is more realistic. Youtube (I searched for "archery longbow") indicates that the cheek/chin draw is also used for a normal longbow.

The portrait as-is would have to have the draw a bit farther back and maybe a tad higher to be a realistic full draw. Also, the head would have to be turned further to look straight down the shaft of the arrow: without turning the bow, only one eye would be visible.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Also, I've said this before and will probably say it again, but, when you pull back on the bowstring, it does not stretch! The bow itself bends! The total length of the string should never be longer than the bow itself, which it clearly is here (although I've seen much worse). The amount of curve on the top of the bow is pretty good, assuming that this is a straight bow; the bottom should be curved more to match.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

Thank you all, I'll try to fix this drawing.

to:
Zigg wrote: Also, the arrows should be the same color as bones, because they are made of bones.
Please notice, that this part isn't colored yet. My fault. I forgot to say...
solsword wrote:Also, the head would have to be turned further to look straight down the shaft of the arrow
You're right in this point, but I prefer the actual version.
When the head is in the actual position, the banebow is looking to you and poses a rhetorical question like "Shall I shoot?" (The answer is already given: "yes"). The banebow is laughing at his victim.
When the head is turned, It looks like it's hard for the banebow to hit his enemy and he must be concentrated.
This is my opinion. What do you think?
Attachments
this is the actual vectorized version
this is the actual vectorized version
skullwatching.jpg (17.19 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
turned skull
turned skull
skullturned.jpg (16.97 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Don't want to rain on the parade here or anything, but this is not mainline quality, and is unlikely to become so. You're welcome to continue to practice in the Workshop =) Moved.

You have potential, but to draw for mainline (skels in particular), your work would need to be of significantly higher quality.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Don't want to rain on the parade here or anything, but this is not mainline quality, and is unlikely to become so. You're welcome to continue to practice in the Workshop =) Moved.

You have potential, but to draw for mainline (skels in particular), your work would need to be of significantly higher quality.
Yeah. No offense, but you need to build a few more years of art skill to be able to contribute portraits.

We'll probably move this to Art Workshop fairly soon. Feel free to continue; working on this is great practice, but you need so much more experience that you can't fix this portrait by learning a few new tricks. You have to get vastly better, and start from scratch.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I already moved it ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.