Zero's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Zero's Steelhive Art- Working on Attack frames

Post by StDrake »

Zerovirus wrote:Well it's been too long but I finally made some Repairer and Welder unit images... These look a bit stupid but they're the best I have right now.
actually they look ok..just the arms need a tweak here and there to look like you could actually fix anything with those, right now theyre just more puncturing machines, how about putting some grabbers on the ends? and maybe a laser cutter on one
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
melinath

Post by melinath »

If I may suggest - a welding torch seems like a more effective close-range weapon.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Hmm.

Well I'm not too familiar with welding tool thingies... Sure, why not. Melee it is then.

God those healer graphics suck so much. I really have to redo them. They look like they have tumors on their foreheads.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Present weld attack icon. Suggestions?
weld.png
weld.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
Zero: is it all right if I post attack icons here? Are you planning on working on them? If not, I suppose I can, but then the question is whether it's okay for me to hijack your thread for other steelhive-related art or whether I should make a thread of my own.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Sure, you can post Attack icons here. I'm still trying to learn GIMP, just downloaded it yesterday. I don't really mind. If you want I can just rename the thread to Steelhive Graphics.

As for suggestions... It looks empty. Sparks, background glowing like Delfador's lightning attack, etc. would help a lot.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

God, those last Repairer and Welder frames sucked. I didn't pull off the effect I wanted to...

Well, now I remedy that with cool looking versions! And now Melinath has more work on his ever growing pile of fine tuning and other stuff.
Attachments
Hey, I actually used the purple shadow this time!
Hey, I actually used the purple shadow this time!
Welder.PNG (927 Bytes) Viewed 6061 times
He grows an extra multitool arm thing.
He grows an extra multitool arm thing.
Repairer.PNG (1.02 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
melinath

Re: Steelhive Graphics- Welder line complete

Post by melinath »

GIMP == yay!

purple shadows==yay!

I'll see what I can do with making it more interesting. Problem is, welding torches don't spark unless cutting metal. Of course there's the Rule of Cool... (if it's cool, who cares if it's realistic?) but I'll see if I can be realistic and interesting first.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Yay! I met another troper!

Right, like the whole robot thing is realistic.

So anyways. I got bored and made a lizardman-creature with a torch. I'm not planning on using him for anything, so anyone who wants a generic mutated creature for UMC campaigns or factions can have him.
Attachments
Lizardman.PNG
Lizardman.PNG (1.37 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

If you're still looking for suggestions for the weld attack icon, i would say try lowering the part where the flame comes out and showing more of a flame. Instead of having the tip take up half the icon, bring it down so that it only covers about 1/4th. (Meh, maybe I'll fire up GIMP and show you what I mean..)

Edit: Here's what I mean. I also rotated it slightly down and added some noise..
Attachments
weld_1.png
weld_1.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 6008 times
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

well the repairer looks quite impressive now, but the welder still needs some angle tweak with the upper-right arm, currently is looks a bit weird, maybe use the same angle as the repairer has on its upper right?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
melinath

Post by melinath »

I definitely agree that the pipe was taking up too much space last time. It was also fairly boring. There shouldn't be noise in the flame, though - at least, not much. That's what makes it a welding torch flame. (Reference) Here's a new version:
weld.png
weld.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
Still needs some work, I think. The glowy ends a bit too abruptly and the flame's a bit jaggy.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

That would so totally work for a lightsaber attack icon XD

Okay, I think I understand how to use layers and transparency now. Does the new Steel Fideliant fit all technical wesnoth requirements for images?

I redid one arm of the Welder. No animation yet, though.
Attachments
I redid the arm. No GIMP treatment for this one though.
I redid the arm. No GIMP treatment for this one though.
Welder.PNG (926 Bytes) Viewed 5921 times
I added a shadow and a visor.
I added a shadow and a visor.
Steel Fideliant.PNG (1.99 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
Hroppa

Post by Hroppa »

To me it looks like the Welder's left arm (our right) comes out of its forehead; darkening the outline slightly would probably solve the problem. Otherwise, very nice :-)
Last edited by Hroppa on August 20th, 2009, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My campaign: Civil Warfare
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

melinath's icon does look like a light-saber, but that is (almost) how a welding torch looks like. welding torches don't glow blue though. or red, for that matter. if the picture was a welding torch it would basically a straight line. i think it would be better if a blowtorch was used: they're used for fixing metal things too, aren't they?
melinath

Post by melinath »

wesfreak: blowtorches and welding torches are approximately the same thing. I believe welding torches are stronger. You're right - in the context, this torch may be glowing too much. However, did you look at the reference I linked?

Zero: Oddly, the shadow beneath the fideliant is at 59% transparency instead of 60%. Also, I've never told you this, but base frames actually point southeast... I've been flipping everything for you.