Random Unit Sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jean

Random Unit Sprites

Post by Jean »

Well, this units were made by a friend, who should be baking some more later. I would appreciate some feedback in here and suggestions, if possible.
More should be coming later.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Re: Random Unit Sprites

Post by A-Red »

I really like the second guy, but he seems a little undefined. The head is squashed into the body, the gray colors and blue colors are too similar to each other, and it's kind of hard to tell what's going on with the legs (the one on our left is too dark, and the plate armor on the thigh on our right seems strangely positioned--my guess is that it should be more to the outside of his thigh rather than directly in front of it).
Jean

Post by Jean »

Thanks, A-Red, good to know.
More, as promissed:
I am using this for a sort of naval era, and since I had seen only 2 ships in wesnoth (in default), my friend ended up making this, and will feed me with more later. Opinions?
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Your friend is pretty talented. To my unprofessional eye these ships look better than the mainlined ones. The units don't quite fit the mainline standard, but aren't bad at all.

If you can convince him/her to sign up on the forum it would be great, I seem to recall out Art Contributers saying it's much easier to give C&C directly :).
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. If your friend would like to sign up, I'm sure we can find some use for a sprite artist of this calibre. But there's really very little to be done with a few random sprites until that time.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Well, I couldn't convince her to participate. :( Maybe she changes her mind later.
And by the way, I know you cannot take much profit from some random unit sprites in mainline, but that is why I didn't post in Art Contributions.

Edit: By the way, the pink part of the boat was supposed to change color depending on side's color. She told me some units in default have that, and that she copied the same pink tone for it. Does it need a macro for that, or something like that?
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
melinath

Post by melinath »

It's not about a macro - you have to use the right palette. Exactly the right colors. Then Wesnoth does all the team color shifting for you.
If she copied the colors right, there's nothing to worry about. If you're having trouble, the colors are probably just a smidge off; you'd want to compare the exact RGB/HLV/hex (whatever you prefer) values of the magentas you're using with those in wesnoth/images/tools/magenta_team_color_palette.png

EDIT:: ... or you may have forgotten the macro. Forgot that. :p
Last edited by melinath on June 16th, 2009, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Well, there is a macro as well ({MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}). You need to read the page.

TC should only be applied with a hard-edged, full-opacity tool. Any deviation from the precise colours on the swatch, and all you get is pink.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Ok, now I see it was a dumb question, I forgot wiki also covered art.
I hadn't put the macro on units and the unit repainting changed the pink tone, it should be working now.
Thanks a lot!
Jean

Post by Jean »

Ok, new unit, the Frigate. It is not ready yet, needs shading and maybe painting, but I would like to ask if the position of the sails are ok, or if something should be changed?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Just an idea, but maybe it could be bigger? That would probably make it easier to draw the sails, and this is one of the few units that wouldn't look odd being big.
Jean

Post by Jean »

That means there IS a problem with the sails. Could you describe me what you see it's wrong?
melinath

Post by melinath »

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit of team coloring, and it would also be nice to see this one in context, i.e. on water. On the forum background, it's hard to make out what the sails look like and hard (for me) to say if they look reasonable. I think... it looks a bit like the ones in the back are flat and the ones in the front are rounded.

Is this by the same person as the others? It's still good, but the style seems a bit different. The sails don't have as much of an outline and the boat itself is a bit blockier. Although that could just be because the shading isn't done...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The first two units looked great for a start, but the first one seemed a bit flat and his staff looked unfinished at either end. The second one is better, but the way the spear is shaded it looks like the light is coming from underneath him. In my experience you want the light to be coming from the upper right corner, so the underside of the spear should be darker than the upper side. The spearhead seemed to sag a little on the second unit's spear, too (though that could be just me). Now for the ships. The first two blew me out of the water (haha) when I first saw them. At first glance they look good enough for mainline content (in my humble opinion). I like the first one better, the second seems a bit too cartoonish. Maybe a little more shading work? As for the frigate, maybe you could round the from part of the hull just a tiny bit more, and the back sails seem rather slack. Being hardly the best sprite artist on these forums, maybe what I say has little merit. Take it for what it's worth, however little that is. :lol2:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."