Troll Grunt and Warrior portraits by Headache

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Headache

Troll Grunt and Warrior portraits by Headache

Post by Headache »

Here's a fast sketch of troll grunt and warrior. The picture is rather smudgy because I took a photo instead of going to my workplace to use scanner and the original image was quite small.
Is this anywhere close of Wesnoth style?
I'm not too happy with the pose. They look like they're waiting for a bus or something. Also the warrior somewhat squeezed together, but the grunt seems pretty well proportioned to me. I think I'll make a bigger picture with better quality and more lively pose, but I'm not sure witch chin is better. Also, is it generally better for coloring that there's no shading? I'm not too good at that part, so I'll just focus on drawing.
Last edited by Headache on April 13th, 2009, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm using version 1.6
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Re: Troll Grunt and Warrior bt Headache

Post by Lord Ork »

Also, is it generally better for coloring that there's no shading?
I'd say yes. Shading in your draw is good to get an idea of what are you going to get. But, when you are going to work on the computer, you want only the outline, so you can do the shading with the colours (and widening/thinning the lines). Maybe it's a good idea that you look for the portrait's tutorial on the wiki.

About the draws, I like them generally speaking, but I cannot spot any mistake you haven't pointed before. Maybe the arms of the big one should be more open?
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

They're not bad, and would be good for UMC i think, but they're not quite up to mainline standard - the anatomy of the faces and muscles is a little off, and the poses are very bland.

It's a great start, though =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Here's an update for the grunt.
I'm using version 1.6
Headache

Post by Headache »

Sorry for the double post, but here's the grunt with some color & shading (and texture).
Any comments?
I'm using version 1.6
Jequ

Re: Troll Grunt and Warrior portraits by Headache

Post by Jequ »

I don't know much about digital art but it seems that you are pillow-shading which means that surfaces closer to the camera are brighter. That isn't how it works in reality. I don't really know how to help you but I suggest using a reference image (standing man for example) and reading some tutorials.
Headache

Re: Troll Grunt and Warrior portraits by Headache

Post by Headache »

Thanks for the comment. Is this the style you prefer?
The shadows are quite of the target and some details of shading are missing, but I think I understand now the idea.
I'm using version 1.6