Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: IftU Portraits | Update: Erathan!

Post by Iris »

Excellent.

I cannot offer much of an opinion on Aragwaithi portraits. It is Shadow/Wayfarer who created them, and who should come out of the shadows and comment on them here.

But overall, great. I never made any requirements upon his physical appearance due to the lack of reference material anyway.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

yeah, the only Aragwaithi portraits ever made were by Wayfarer, and though incredibly awesome they are rather out of style. However they may provide some nice reference material.

http://wayfarerpg.deviantart.com/art/Lost-Hero-37323899
http://wayfarerpg.deviantart.com/art/A-Legend-40489283
http://wayfarerpg.deviantart.com/art/Th ... t-42392347

Pure Awesome. Both Wayfarer and Kitty.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Another problem is no color.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I was always a huge fan of those sketches. I'm not sure if it's artistically possible to capture such "billowing" linework once the sketch is shaded, but if anyone can do it, it's kitty.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

thnaks for all your nice comments!

turuk - i don't think that i ever said that i don't want my portraits used for different purposes. and i couldn't influence it - it's gpl... i think you are confusing it with the wose discussion about the wesmere's ur thorodor, i just said that i don't want a specific chara portrait as the generic mainline one. however.

urs/sangel - i'm aware of shadow's sketches. but i don't want to use them as a base. they are cool in their own way, but they "live" through their loosesness and open lines. apart from a lot of atmosphere and waving cloth they don't show a lot of costume design/details etc. - and those details would be what i could incorporate in my interpretation of this aragwaithi.
thus i'm just waiting for shadow's comments right now...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

From the unit and race descriptions in the EE (which isn't a lot to go on), they're supposed to be a noble, agile and somewhat fragile breed of humans. A bit like elves I guess.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote:turuk - i don't think that i ever said that i don't want my portraits used for different purposes. and i couldn't influence it - it's gpl... i think you are confusing it with the wose discussion about the wesmere's ur thorodor, i just said that i don't want a specific chara portrait as the generic mainline one. however.
Ah, well then I blame a faulty memory. So you would not be against someone using your Aragwaithe portrait to represent a character in another campaign?

And while I know it is GPL, I find it is always better to ask first, as artists sometimes have ideas about what their art should and should not be used for and it's worth respecting their opinions.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Ups If did not make it clear I endorse them. Wonderfull work.

On the subject of coloring I can not demand to color one of my sketches anyways some have anatomical flaws anyways that must be fixed. And the loosy lines are a pain to color.
Though I don't understand the lack of details, ;)

Anyways well done.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

i just slapped some quick colours on him after reading shadow's ok. i consider him pretty finished- unless somebody has some valid criticism of course...

turuk: in a perfect world every single character should have his/her own portrait but that isn't very likely for wesnoth, i suppose - thus you can use him of course. i'd just like to ask you to wait until he is completely finished.

shadow: thanks! and yeah, those loose lines would be a real pain to colour, i guess! do you do that at all?
Attachments
erathan02.png
erathan02.png (136.14 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Nice.
All these guys with a bow (elvish archers, Erathan) have poses that look a bit strange to me. Always. But that must be because I do not know how to use one, nor in theory or practice.

Um... is it possible to get one's beard white before the top hair, with age?
(Does this compile into English?)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mica

Post by Mica »

About your tiny text Shadow Master, the few times I have held a bow, you would normally hold it similar to these poses, so that your arrow is ready at all times [it takes time for someone not that skilled too xD]. Plus the way you do hold a bow is actually fairly comfortable - but only after you pull the string back IMO. xD
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Um... is it possible to get one's beard white before the top hair, with age?
I'm pretty sure that this does happen with some people. In fact a hair dye company, Just For Men, has been heavily advertising hair dye just for beards and nothing else.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Shadow Master wrote:Um... is it possible to get one's beard white before the top hair, with age?
Yup, your hair on top can stay dark while your beard goes lighter, though usually it is more salt and pepper than straight white, which is how Kitty has it so far.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

yeah, think Yupa from Nausicaa, if anyone's seen it.

Excellent work kitty, as always
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Shadow Master wrote:All these guys with a bow (elvish archers, Erathan) have poses that look a bit strange to me. Always. But that must be because I do not know how to use one, nor in theory or practice.
That reason is because they are holding the bow in a relaxed position. In these portraits, the bow's lined up in such a way that the "back" of the bow is resting on the first knuckle of the thumb. This is to allow the arrow to come across the body in that resting position. While that's certainly an acceptable way to hold a bow when relaxed, when shooting the bow you need it to be resting down the center of your palm, especially at its base, where you can support it directly with your arm.

Personally, when I'm waiting to release, I hold it in a manner similar to kitty's Elvish Marksman portrait, only I lower the bow to my side, with my drawing hand reaching across my waist in a manner that keeps my wrist straight. Or, I'd keep the arrow in place with my index finger on the bow and let go of the arrow completely, since even at that angle it's a little awkward for my wrist (see Marksman portrait again).