The Droch Fae

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Oreb

Re: The Droch Fae

Post by Oreb »

I'm glad my suggestions got taken and used, thanks Urs. Nice work by the way. I'm no artist, so don't pay attention to what I say normally. :P
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Thanks. :)

Turin wrote: The Filidh seems considerably smaller than the other two; is that intentional?
Uh, yeah. I mean, his melee should be a weak dagger of some sort. He spends most of his time making it snow on the enemy, rather than getting into fights. You're gonna wanna cover this guy with some swordsmen or something, because he would be dark adept weak.
Turin wrote:Also, I agree about having them bigger than the normal size for level 1 sprites to a certain extent, but these guys are 45, 47 pixels tall - I'd prefer for them to be at least a few pixels shorter. They'd still be bigger than the units in the IE if they were 42 for the smaller units, 44 for the larger.
I'm shaving 2px of both the big ones now - that makes them High Elf spearmann sized, which ought be OK. Elves are, after all, taller, and they're Feudal Era.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Urs wrote:Uh, yeah. I mean, his melee should be a weak dagger of some sort. He spends most of his time making it snow on the enemy, rather than getting into fights. You're gonna wanna cover this guy with some swordsmen or something, because he would be dark adept weak.
Yeah, that's how I planned him being. A not so strong mage, but is smart enough to know that he needs something to defend himself. But he does seem a bit too short.

And of course, later on, theres a choice whether you want him to be heavy on melee or heavy on magic.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Alright - I smallerized the archer and increased the filidh's size. High elf spearmann shown for comparison.
The Filidh is two px smaller than the archer, the archer and high elf are the same size.
The Filidh is two px smaller than the archer, the archer and high elf are the same size.
elves size comp1.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Oreb wrote:Yeah, that's how I planned him being. A not so strong mage, but is smart enough to know that he needs something to defend himself. But he does seem a bit too short.

And of course, later on, theres a choice whether you want him to be heavy on melee or heavy on magic.
Makes sense. I can't wait to do the one with wings... :twisted:
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Well, it's time to repost the fiach-dubh, except without wings. Please do comment - I'm going to repost everything else tomorrow.
not so much tc
not so much tc
fiach-dubh-alt.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
slightly more tc
slightly more tc
fiach-dubh.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
Also, is the thing in his hand recognizable as a sword?
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Also, is the thing in his hand recognizable as a sword?
Not to me. :?
Mica

Post by Mica »

A bit off-topic, but are these custom from the ground up or just really hard to tell frankensteins? 'Cause wow!
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

A bit off-topic, but are these custom from the ground up or just really hard to tell frankensteins? 'Cause wow!
yeah, seriously dude - those are pretty good.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

hmm it seems I have something more to do for orbivm. I'll dig up my version that has the better wings, if you want.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Hey, Thanks all for the comments and complements. :)

@Mica, opensourcejunkie - They're custom grown. For the most part all of my sprites are, except the occasional small frankenstein (a sword or maybe an effect), which is usually a frankenstein from something else I did. Unless I'm working off an old image, which is something different entirely.

@Mirion147 - Thanks. That's what I was afraid of... good to know. I'll try make it slimmer and sharper looking.

@Corvus - You have plenty of things to do for Orbivm! :P But if you could find a psd or xcf of the old one, that'd be cool. I really only need the wings.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Here's what I had. I'll finish it this weekend.

...unfortunately it's a psd...
Attachments
fiach-dubh.png
fiach-dubh.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

And here it is...
Attachments
fiach-dubh.png
fiach-dubh.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 5109 times

opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

hey, I'm not familiar with the [unit]s you're making these for, so excuse me if I'm stating the obvious. I just wanted to note that the fiach-dubh looks quite undead, and I was wondering if that was intentional. (I only mention this 'cause none of the other units are undead, so I wanted to make sure that the look was on purpose)
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Long time no post. School and such...

Anyway, much love to Corvus for the wings and to everyone else for the comments.

So... I've lost count of which revision this is. But here it is anyway:
Please comment on pretty much everything. Even if you just want to tell me that is sucks.
Please comment on pretty much everything. Even if you just want to tell me that is sucks.
fiach-dubh.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
Also: The wings are see-through (80% opaque) and have a glow... I'll make a mock up.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

The wings' feathers are technically unrealistic....but very good looking. to make them better, all the ones below the second row should be merged into long ones, so that you'd have 2 rows of short feathers, and one of very long ones.. Maybe a little less pink, though? Not sure what his weapon is, and his arms see a bit long (even though he's bending over). Also, the chin recedes in a funny way on his left. Finally, the TC stuff is a sash? or a belt? anyway it seem rigid on his right side.