shiremct's art thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SFault

Re: Ancient Mediterranean-Themed Units

Post by SFault »

The spear looks bit jagged. Try to AA it. Also the shadow is quite elliptic, like a shadow of a sphere.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Zeugites with some improved shading, especially in the shield, and a shadow.

Consider this the first candidate for the Finished base frame, so feel free to critique accordingly.

Should have an initial version of the Hypaspites (upgrade of the Ekdromos) in the next few days.
Attachments
Zeugites.PNG
Zeugites.PNG (2.36 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Zeugites_Grass.png
Zeugites_Grass.png (10.43 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

As promised, a WIP of the Hypaspites... Only the more I mess with this, the more I'm inclined to scrap this concept for the Hypaspites and just use this instead as a base for the lvl 3 Heavy Spearman unit. This is probably the stance I'll go with for all 3 levels of the "standard" heavy melee line and I'm a bit worried about differentiation of the Medium Infantry offshoot line with the Heavy Infantry standard line. Okay, I'm a lot worried.

So... I don't really know what this unit is going to be... but there is plenty of room for feedback from what I have so far and long periods of inactivity while I struggle to make up my mind don't do much to help generate interest :P . Everything has been shaded except the chest and this is the stance I plan to use for the faction's "standard" unit line, so it's kinda important that it work. The spear and the shield are both prepped for AA, but haven't been yet, so are a little thick in places.

If it does becomes the Pezhetairos, I'll shade in the chest with a muscled breastplate (Hypaspites will probably have some sort of scale armor,) create a new Corinthian helmet (or maybe just stamp on an existing Phrygian helmet, not sure yet,) and maybe add a cape and/or lengthen the spear a little. If I continue with this concept for the Hypaspites... I have to make it NOT look like the Pezhetairos. I initially planned to go with a more dynamic stance for the Hypaspites, with the spear held more at-the-ready in an overhand manner, but it's proven difficult to do so far. I've also got to work in a shortsword hilt somewhere at his side and the spear held up would create the space for that nicely so i think I'm going to continue trying to do that but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Edit: I think I'd like to maybe add a design to the Aspis shields, but don't really know what to do. A lion head would be great, but seems a little too complicated to work. Any ideas on something simpler that might be fitting for it?

Edit2: Pose with the chest shaded in and a sword added to the hip.
Attachments
Hypaspites.PNG
Hypaspites.PNG (2.02 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

WIP of the iconic Hoplites! I'm not happy with the shading on most of it yet, but I need to take a break from this unit and come back to it later.

Edit: Version with some more shading work and an experimental alternate version with some serious foreshortening. The unit looks much better on a non-white background, tho it still doesn't pop as much as I'd like on snow terrain... May need even more contrast but hopefully it's looking better.
Attachments
unit2.PNG
unit2.PNG (2.45 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
Hoplites.png
Hoplites.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

I have been looking to establish a name for the faction these units would belong to. Some time ago, I was doing art of this style for a Imperial Era faction called the Dardanoi and I was considering keeping that name, but I was curious where the name came from and looked into it and it is kinda synonymous with trojan, which is not what I'm looking for. So I've browsed wikipedia for city and region names in ancient greece and the surrounding area, looking for something similar... but different.

The candidate I'm considering at the moment is "Aegialoi" based (sorta) on the region Achaea in the northern Peloponnese, which the Romans expanded as the name of the entire Peloponnese region while under their control. It avoids any specific associations or distinctions with Athens/Sparta or Greek/Macedonian etc while keeping a very real rooting to the area and its peoples. At first I thought it sounded absurd, but it has grown on me... It may not be suitable, may sound silly or just not feel right, so I'm looking for opinions or alternate ideas if anyone has any.

An "Aegialos" of the "Aegialoi", the peoples of the region "Aegialus" (which is the name Homer gives the the region Achaea in the Illiad)...

Fitting? Crazy? Too many damn vowels? Please, share with me your opinions. :)
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

First version of the Mystikos, the level 1 Magic user. I'm not happy with the texture (or lack thereof) of the upper chest yet and I may need to thicken the entire sprite by a pixel or two but this is the direction I think I'm taking the magic units.
Attachments
unit2.PNG
unit2.PNG (1.45 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Robe texture is looking really good. Nice work =) I'd suggest maybe brightening the highlights on it, though - youhave to remember that the TC palettes are mostly quite dark. I'd say maybe the arm should be a little larger, too. Proportionately, it looks a little young.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

I enhanced the highlights, tried to add some depth and texture to the upper chest, made the near arm a little bigger and added a scroll to the hand, and tweaked one sandal a bit. Not 100% happy with how the TCed wrap turns out in game, but the main issue there is saturation. I may shift some of the pixels to their next darkest shade at some point, but working with TC is very frustrating and I think I'm leaving that alone for now.

The scroll could use more work, but I don't know if I even want to keep it. I'll post an updated version without it too for reference.
Attachments
Mystikos.png
Mystikos.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
Mystikos2.png
Mystikos2.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Level 2 branch of the Mystikos (the healing branch). My initial intentions for the TC wrap was to get lighter as the magic units leveled up while their robes got darker but the TC isn't cooperating so I've reverted it to unshaded at the moment and will come back to it later. Big thanks to Sleepwalker and thespaceinvader as their Khalifa heads were used as a base and as references for this unit's face.

THIS is a good part of my inspiration/reference for the magic units costuming and composition, especially with this unit.

Edit: Update.
Attachments
Iatromantis.png
Iatromantis.png (2.49 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Iatromantis.png
Iatromantis.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
furioso

Post by furioso »

These are really, really nice. :) As TSI says you've got a good handle on the robes.
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

I had intended to let this thread die and start a fresh one if I got most of the units done (or postable anyway), however other things have had my interest and I have not made the progress I had hoped to. However, I have been quietly working on the faction from time to time over the past months so I'll post some updated/new stuff here for input/feedback in the meantime. I've been tweaking my sprites more often lately, so hopefully I'll continue this streak of productivity and have some more stuff to show in the coming days as well.

Javalineer Line:
Level 1
Akontistes.png
Akontistes.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
Which advances to:
Level 2
Peltastes.png
Peltastes.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 4059 times

Horseman Line:
Level 1
Hippeus.png
Hippeus.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
Which advances to:
Level 2
Doratophoros.png
Doratophoros.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

And updated Mage Line:
Level 1
Mystikos.png
Mystikos.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Which advances to:
Level 2
Iatromantis.png
Iatromantis.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Regarding the Mystikos (great name!):
It's a really good sprite, not saying you need to fix it in any way, but look at the toga+hood thingy worn by Roman argurs. I think there is an example of this with emperor Augustus on the aura paucis or something, but I'm too lazy to post the link. It would take very little modification for your unit to look like that... if you like that style.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Magos: the other level 2 option for the Mystikos. Not entirely satisfied with the overall design yet, as I need to add some additional embellishments or something to enhance the Occult & Cult feels. The magic they dabble in (manipulation of spirits & the spirit world) brings them closer and closer to necromancy (sorta) as they level up, so I'm looking to add just a slightly darker undertone to the unit.
Magos.png
Magos.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
EDIT:
Replaced the shoulder-skirt thing and I'm liking this direction a whole lot better, but still missing a certain something... :hmm:
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (1.61 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
EDIT 2:
Final version, at least for the time being.
Magos.png
Magos.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Halfway through the rework of the Hypaspites posted earlier in the thread. It's perhaps the first time reworking one of my older sprites has resulted in a smaller unit than the original. :wink:

I'll edit in some updates after a nice long nap.
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (1.74 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
Edit:
Alternate version not suitable for the base Hypaspites, but may be useful as a hero/villian. May also be used as a starting point for one of the leader/general units too.
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (1.76 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
Another alternate version usable for a hero/villian, this time of the Magos. This head was created (chiseled and re-shaded out of the Magos' hood) for use in the Magos' upgrade, the Theourgos.
unit2.PNG
unit2.PNG (1.64 KiB) Viewed 3813 times