Additional level 0s

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Let's face it. Some units don't look right with female sprites. To resolve the problem essentially means redesigning the whole unit.
I got the idea of adding an option in the preferences menu for multiplayer that allows the player to have an all-male, all-female, or mixed army, but that would obviously mean redesigning hundreds of sprites. Besides, does anyone even know what a female dwarf or female drake looks like?! :P
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Federalist marshal wrote:Let's face it. Some units don't look right with female sprites. To resolve the problem essentially means redesigning the whole unit.
Yeh, I don't think anyone's arguing that all sprites should have female equivalents - just the ones where it makes sense. You won't be seeing Heavy Infantrymen with boobs any time soon. :)
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well I always tought on the Heavy Infantry like something like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/ ... Bobmot.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/T ... Heores.jpg

for female

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/T ... litics.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/T ... aKaoru.jpg

However, the distinction is that these are samurai oriented, whereas the Heavy infantry its a big armored medieval unit.

A note tought, I suppose that a female could teorically have a full armor suit if we would have been in a matriarchal state.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Why would a wholly-armoured unit need to be revised for a female variation? The graphics for the pikeman, swordsman and heavy infantryman, for instance, show no signs of the person inside the armour. So unless someone felt the need to add breast-curves onto the armour, why not use the same images?

However, the more PC among us may find it odd that a female is referred to as a pikeMAN, swordsMAN, heavy infantryMAN, etc.

By the way, since Loyalists are based on the armies of Medieval Europe, why not simply say that women soliders do not exist in Loyalist armies. If it is part of the culture of the faction, then there is no problem. It is not sexist to make a faction that has a sexist attitude. Especially when there are other factions in which females play important roles (well, one faction, the elves).

I'm all for female variations in other races or factions, but it doesn't have to aply across the board. Of course, if gender-equality was built into the faction concept from the start, then great! You could even have a matricarchic faction of amazons or whatever. But the Loyalists weren't planned like that. Thus the workload/rethink needed to change it now outweighs the spurious benefits of inserting modern values into the game.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

I like the unit tree, but I'm not sure why the nobleman would have a hat, only to put it in his pocket once he levels to a fencer, and then he regenerates it in the duelist stage.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

A Nobleman is a non-combat character who likes the decoration. A Fencer isn't quite skilled enough to wear a hat without losing it in combat, but becomes able to do that in the next level.

But the real reason is just to give the unit distinction. The same head with lighter/darker or longer/shorter hair gets boring. Anyway, It's not even the same hat, so it's not the same one he put in his pocket.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

LOL.
My current projects:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

civilian Image

I changed his hair to match the fencers, filled out his head a bit, and made the money bag a *bit* smaller. I also fiddled with the hat a bit.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Excellent! Thanks.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:However, the more PC among us may find it odd that a female is referred to as a pikeMAN, swordsMAN, heavy infantryMAN, etc.
Nah. In that context "man" is just a generic term meaning person - human.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. I shall scream if that, like 'chairman', is changed by the PC brigade...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

irrevenant wrote:
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:However, the more PC among us may find it odd that a female is referred to as a pikeMAN, swordsMAN, heavy infantryMAN, etc.
Nah. In that context "man" is just a generic term meaning person - human.
Then what about Goblin Spearman, eh?

(That bit wasn't serious anyway...)
My current projects:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Then what about Goblin Spearman, eh?

Completely OT, but I think it would add flavor to have the name "Goblin Spearman" changed to "Goblin Spearling". (This was originally suggested on the Orbivm forums by either Temuchin Khan or Urs, but I think it works here too.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Null

Post by Null »

turin wrote:
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Then what about Goblin Spearman, eh?

Completely OT, but I think it would add flavor to have the name "Goblin Spearman" changed to "Goblin Spearling". (This was originally suggested on the Orbivm forums by either Temuchin Khan or Urs, but I think it works here too.)
While we are adding Zerg parallels for the Northerners, can we add Terran parallels for the Loyalists? :P

Just kidding. I'ts not a bad idea, but I don't see a real reason for the change. Spearman works just fine.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

If somebody ever does want to draw a female peasant, I have a good use for it.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE