The Era of Myths art project thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Firstly, I am going to completely redo the Crystal, and touch up most of these.

As for not looking feminine enough... well, I could make their shoulders and waist narrower, and make the bust and hips more pronounced.

But remember, they are wearing 2-3 layers of heavy cloth + breastplate. I'll take you concerns into consideration with the Dreadnought and see how that turns out.
lachlanTheMad wrote:I have a premonition of imminent pain..
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

henkutsu wrote:But remember, they are wearing 2-3 layers of heavy cloth + breastplate. I'll take you concerns into consideration with the Dreadnought and see how that turns out.
What? You mean you're not having your units wear chainmail bikinis? :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Imagine how horribly something like that would chafe. :(
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Chainmail bikini?
HAHAHA.

NO.

A) They are from a wintery place, B) Those guys in 300 LOST.

Anyway, here are the redone Reaver and the new Dreadnought. BOTH ARE TC'd. I will not return to these until I have finished the 9 units left. Feel free to comment on them though as I will take constructive criticisms into account (Like the more female comment)

I have redone all the rocks, resized busts, hips, waists and shoulders, removed a few pixels from the arms to make them slimmer as well.
Attachments
The level 2
The level 2
windsong_reaver.png (5.99 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
The level 3
The level 3
windsong_dreadnought.png (6.7 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Incase anyone was interested, the Courier tree now looks like this:
Only 8 units left to go :)

... I really enjoyed making the rocks for these... :roll: No more rocks for the rest though... :( Maybe I should draw trolls :lol:
Attachments
windsong_courier_tree.png
windsong_courier_tree.png (32.41 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

henkutsu wrote:resized busts
Well, while there are women with breasts that size, they are not as common as some would have us think. In my opinion, it was not necessary to make them quite so big. I remember Jetryl commenting once that the main things in making a unit look feminine are the waist and the stance. Look at the male Elvish Archer and female Elvish archer side-by-side, and you'll see that the differences are subtle, but more than enough. Something along those lines, I think, is what Windong art should strive for, especially since the Windsong would not have any particular reason to try to look attractive to men....
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

have any particular reason to try to look attractive to men
WHAT THE HECK!? :evil:

Why would I want to do that to them!?

Though, the ability to learn levitation would be useful in that case. Maybe that is how they recruit? No more back pain, 3 month trial!

If it'll make you happy, I'll go back and flatten them to how I had them originally, to suit the 'is wearing armour' stats, but don't jump to conclusions about peoples intentions. If I were trying to make them 'sexy', I would have made them busty in the first place.

And as for us, EDITED, removed personal details
Last edited by henkutsu on December 6th, 2007, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Slow down. Clichés for the win especially at this size of spriting.
The shoulders of the sprites are buffed to much. Same for the upper body. Which while possible for females is a rare view.

This is a delicate process especially if you don' have that much room.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

O.K. I'm a bit calmer now, so a bit of clarification.

I was not objecting to the comment about the breasts being a little to big. I'm not the only one who plays this game and I do NOT want to make world of warcraft art, which is why they wear sensible armour.

What upset me was the suggestion that I had any motive other than to make them more discernibly 'female', as JW had requested:
The last couple sprites have not looked very feminine...is there a chance you could work on that?
I have shrunk the shoulders by 3-4 pixels, waist by 5, increased the hips by 1 pixel, took 1-2 pixels of the arms (remember, lots of thick cloth, probably padded for insulation) and altered the highlights on the bust. I am not altering these more until I have the other 8 finished, and even then, the Herald, Envoy and Crystal will get redone first.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

My immediate impression of the Dreadnought is that she's driving a Dune Buggy. Perhaps the rocks could be a bit less neatly organised?
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Perhaps the rocks could be a bit less neatly organised?
Hmm.. or maybe organised closer in an arc behind her rather than surrounding at all times? Thanks for constructive criticism. I'll think about it when I get back to this unit.

EDIT

Whoops! forgot to post the Dreadnoughts description! Not as story bound as I'd like but.. there is very little new with this unit compared to the Reaver, just more damage and extra strikes.

Description
"Historically, Elite Reavers, know as the Dreadnoughts, have been fielded to ensure the destruction of vital enemy strongholds. While they have never been fast enough to reach the battle lines first, their dedication to assault ensures that even if lighter units have to retreat, the enemy will be pushed back. Capable of accurately piloting several tonnes of rock through the air to block shots and slam their enemies, Dreadnoughts are an imposing presence. While they cannot usually kill a unit in one attack, they don heavier armour and can attack relentlessly. Older than their peers, they have seen the advantage of dedicating time to their bow skills, and can fire faster than most archers, though not for as much damage.

Dreadnoughts carry even larger boulders than regular Reavers. They spin these around themselves at speed to attack enemies. This makes counter attacking difficult, reducing the damage they take when attacking. However, if she is caught off guard, an enemy can slip inside the boulders and deal full damage."
JW

Post by JW »

henkutsu wrote:What upset me was the suggestion that I had any motive other than to make them more discernibly 'female', as JW had requested:
The last couple sprites have not looked very feminine...is there a chance you could work on that?
I have shrunk the shoulders by 3-4 pixels, waist by 5, increased the hips by 1 pixel, took 1-2 pixels of the arms (remember, lots of thick cloth, probably padded for insulation) and altered the highlights on the bust. I am not altering these more until I have the other 8 finished, and even then, the Herald, Envoy and Crystal will get redone first.
Sorry, for the femalization I meant that the Reaver and its upgrade appear too square for a female. Both seem to be facing forward with their chests (not breasts) and legs both noticably wider than their L1 counterpart, and it appears that their heads have shrunk, emphasizing this change. They just appear more "blocky" than I would envision. Also, for the Dreadnought, I saw somewhere Jetryl mention that standing frames should show the unit at relative rest. I hope the Dreadnought does not rest with her arm in the air! :)

Sorry I haven't been on much the past couple days, but hey, law school can be a real B#*$#*, especially with finals coming up!!!

ps, I like the Emissary sprite, though I think something does need to be done about that bow. Otherwise I think it's quite good. Try to note the difference in stances between it and the others to get a better idea of what I'm speaking of above.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

The heads haven't shrunk, the hair is just pulled back tighter. However, if you would like, I can add a bit of it back when I return to these units. Glad you like the Emissary. :)

edit
Actually, I agree. Their heads are a little too small. I'll fix that, and the arm in the air, when I get back to them. Other than that, do you like the seeker line and these so far?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

henkutsu wrote:
have any particular reason to try to look attractive to men
WHAT THE HECK!? :evil:

Why would I want to do that to them!?
I didn't think you would want to do that to them, I just wanted to make sure no one tried to pressure you into portraying them thus.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

To me the Sky Shards were supposed to be some sort of translucent and immaterial crystals.
And my impression for the courrier line is they were riding some sort of Sky Shard chariot.
Your courrier tree doesn't look right too me, those shard look too material, like bigs rocks.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr