Castle sketches

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Neoriceisgood wrote: I read it as a mean comment as well.

well, I didn't really read the comment, I just read the username. 8)
OH, *SNAP*!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Kess

Post by Kess »

I like the designs, especially so the latter two. And I think it would really deepen my feel for the game if somewhat more alternative designs were used here and there in mainline Wesnoth. Interesting to see what comes of these designs. :D

Have to share this link to an image I recently noticed (regarding the design of a Drake castle):
http://www.orionworks.com/shop/SVJShop/ ... st_600.jpg

And these ones as well because they’re cute:
http://pictures.linkmesh.com/dragons/im ... n_nest.jpg
http://www.villageartisansgallery.com/dragon_house.jpg
http://www.gotohz.com/inter/en/pic/2004-4-13-yunxi3.jpg
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I like it.
Would be cool if someone could actual implement it. Time will tell though.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Have to share this link to an image I recently noticed (regarding the design of a Drake castle):
When planning the design of a Draken castle, I thought that the towers could be merely big pillars with a paltform on top. Since the Drakes can fly, they don't need ladders or stairs to get up there. Also, the crenellation is designed to repel an aerial attack.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:When planning the design of a Draken castle, I thought that the towers could be merely big pillars with a paltform on top. Since the Drakes can fly, they don't need ladders or stairs to get up there.
Not all Drakes can fly - the Clasher line are unable to.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:Also, the crenellation is designed to repel an aerial attack.
Cool idea.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

An Orcish castle (should probably look even cruder):
Attachments
altcastleorc.png
altcastleorc.png (70.21 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Orcs wouldn't really build castles though.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

zookeeper wrote:Orcs wouldn't really build castles though.
Why not?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd say they wouldn't build castles in the sense of grand and noble dwellings, but being a very martial and tribal race, they'd certainly build fortified warcamps. With a bit more crudeness in the construction, and maybe a bit more stone, the current stockade/encampment with the tent suits orcs quite nicely, to my mind.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

vonHalenbach wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Orcs wouldn't really build castles though.
Why not?
I disagree; orcs would build fortifications, after the same fashion that they build weapons. Whether they would build them well is doubtful, but they would certainly dig trenches, pile up rocks and mud, and pound in stakes. Orcs understand raw and obvious things, and miss out on subtle things; the presence of fortifications is an obvious enough benefit that they'd know to imitate it; but they'd miss out completely on most of the finer points that make a castle really effective or sturdy.

If I were to critique sgt. groovy's design, I might suggest keeping towers for the keep walls, but for the regular, outer castle walls, it might be worth removing them altogether. It also might be worth putting outward-pointing wooden stakes in, embedded in the material of the castle.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:
vonHalenbach wrote: Why not?
I disagree; orcs would build fortifications, after the same fashion that they build weapons. Whether they would build them well is doubtful, but they would certainly dig trenches, pile up rocks and mud, and pound in stakes. Orcs understand raw and obvious things, and miss out on subtle things; the presence of fortifications is an obvious enough benefit that they'd know to imitate it; but they'd miss out completely on most of the finer points that make a castle really effective or sturdy.
Sure, they'd build encampments and fortifications. But as they rarely have long-term plans, they wouldn't put too much effort into building castles (putting your peons to construct fortifications out of wood and rocks is simple enough, but a real castle-like structure would be a lot more effort). They tend to move around a lot instead of settling down and establishing for example cities. It doesn't make sense to start building a castle when the next week someone might backstab and overthrow your current warlord, take command and decide to lead your entire tribe/clan/horde into somewhere else to conquer and pillage (an idea of which, as an orc, you'd be absolutely thrilled about every time, at least much more than about building some wimpy castle to sit in).
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Jetryl wrote:If I were to critique sgt. groovy's design, I might suggest keeping towers for the keep walls, but for the regular, outer castle walls, it might be worth removing them altogether.
Not a bad idea. Actually, my first idea was just a earthen embankment with a row of spiky boulders on top, but thought that it still should be a castle, that is, something different from the fortified camp we already have. I'll probably give a shot for the simpler design later today.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Another orcish castle, cruder, and sans towers (I did start thinking though, maybe they should have towers after all, just the crudest possible type, big boulders with a flat platform chiseled to the top, and stairs on the inner side):
Attachments
altcastleorc2.png
altcastleorc2.png (70.02 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Another orcish castle, cruder, and sans towers (I did start thinking though, maybe they should have towers after all, just the crudest possible type, big boulders with a flat platform chiseled to the top, and stairs on the inner side):
Yes. This is much more like it. :D
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Yet another Orcish one, with monolithic "towers":
Attachments
altcastleorc3.png
altcastleorc3.png (60.54 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.