Elf Druid

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TL

Post by TL »

Shading continues to get better and better. I still think you are moving things the wrong way though. She's holding her head so that her face is tilted away from the viewer, though the eyes are spaced slightly too widely in the original so the face looks too long. You've shifted the plane of the face to be flatter, which almost works except the shape of the head is still tilted further out. Shifting towards the front as you did also highlights the issues with the neck and chin. As Shadow pointed out the neck on the original looks a bit thin and by moving the face to look at the viewer more front on this problem becomes even more apparent.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

You can't see her neck, because of her hair covers it almost completly. I have to cut back her hair, if you want to see her neck. :roll:
TL

Post by TL »

Right, but look at the visible lines of her dress straps and her shoulders and where they're going. That suggests a pretty skinny neck.
Query

Post by Query »

I wish I could describe it better, but the face just doesn't look right.
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

I think it's that while the head is pointed in one direction, the face seems to be pointed in another . . .
I'm a newbie. Don't listen to what I say.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

You are right. Her head is detached from her body. It sitts on her right shoulder. Thats because her hair need all space on her left shoulder. :lol:
Will fix it tomorrow. I have to get some sleep.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

vonHalenbach wrote:Maybe her clothes need some shades.
Maybe?

OF COURSE it needs shading! If you really intend this to be useable as a custom portrait, it needs to follow the same style as the others.

I mean, sheesh. :?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Here is the head moved to the middle of her body axis.

deleted here
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 29th, 2007, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

OK now it looks right. Good work.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Query

Post by Query »

The face is in the right place, but the eyes still look a bit off compared to the black and white version.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Query wrote:The face is in the right place, but the eyes still look a bit off compared to the black and white version.
Which eye looks off? What exactly is wrong? Please be more specific!

Greetings
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

vonHalenbach wrote:Which eye looks off? What exactly is wrong? Please be more specific!
At first I thought her left eye was too far from the centre of her face but when I actually fiddled with it, I couldn't find a position that looks better. I think the main problem is that her eye is rolled too far away from the centre of her face (ie. it looks like a 'lazy eye'). Something like this would be better, IMO - just one pixel difference but it really changes the picture.

[EDIT] Actually, I think maybe the eye should be a little larger too, but I'm of two minds about it.
Attachments
elf_druid5_255-2.png
elf_druid5_255-2.png (30.71 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
elf_druid5_255.png
elf_druid5_255.png (30.71 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Last edited by irrevenant on August 26th, 2007, 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Jetryl wrote: OF COURSE it needs shading! If you really intend this to be useable as a custom portrait, it needs to follow the same style as the others.
Yeah. sure! I will shade it, but at this moment i look on a green dress and have absolutely no idea, where to start. I have to look at more examples from other artists.

Apart from the shading of the dress, has this picture still some very minor flaws. I will fix them when i have done the shading of the dress.
Shadow wrote:OK now it looks right. Good work.
Thank you! I need some praise from time to time. :)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

vonHalenbach wrote:Thank you! I need some praise from time to time. :)
Sorry. It's far too easy to focus on the little niggly bits and assume that you know how much the picture rocks in general.

This is a very nice piece of work indeed, and I apologise if I gave a different impression.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

irrevenant wrote:
vonHalenbach wrote:Thank you! I need some praise from time to time. :)
Sorry. It's far too easy to focus on the little niggly bits and assume that you know how much the picture rocks in general.

This is a very nice piece of work indeed, and I apologise if I gave a different impression.
I think you don't need to apologise, because we all want to make this picture better. Your critique is appreciated! You even made an example for us to see. I prefer this over as when someone just says, that something is wrong. We are in the same boat! :)

The original lineart is much bigger than my colorised picture. Maybe because of this, some details get lost in the process?
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 29th, 2007, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.