Unit sprites for Invasion from the Unknown/After the Storm

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

OK, gone for a time on vacation. Back again, with art. I was not just sleeping and going to parties (I actually didn't go to any :p), I did some serious work.

For Invasion from the Unknown (my campaign). The demonic unit tree are edits of Neo's Chaos factions that DO fit in my campaign, unlike the originals. I felt it was necessary to throw some custom art in there. If you want to see how they look in game, you know where to look.
Attachments
Demons unit tree.
Demons unit tree.
demontree.png (21.24 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Elynia updates
Elynia updates
shyde-arcanemaster.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Since nobody is replying, I would assume I'm doing well in this, but I know that would be wrong.

At least the lack of antialiasing and the axes's edges (which are left-over of Neo's artwork)... I can't stand that.

But I have done some progress, partly inspired by zookeeper's update of L3 Battle Princess, in the level 3 Demon Warriors. Hope you like them, at least I know do feel like using them in my campaign (the old sprites were too ugly for I feeling like using them).

Also modified their axes (only L3) to have a second blade, recoloured and modified its edges.

EDIT: and forgot that I updated L2 male Demon Grunt's armor to look less flat.
Attachments
demontree.png
demontree.png (20.3 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

they all have the same pose and only differ by the type of armor...

this is problematic because these units will be hard to distinguish in real game....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

nah, i bet getting an iron bra over a cloth one instantly boosts your combat skillz :P

at least do something about lvl1/2 axes to make them seem different.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Aside from the horns and the tail/wings on the winged one, there's really nothing about those guys that says "demon" to me. They look mostly like humans, and weak/ill equipped ones on the lower levels.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Um, that's my really weird concept. I'm having trouble polishing it for the campaign. I'll see what I can do on them when finished with the lady attached here.

Anyway, changed the thread's title.
Attachments
Elynia
Elynia
lady-of-light.png (4.59 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The skirt design is strangely familiar. :wink:
Not bad at all, the upper body looks a bit too attached. I mean a bit unnatural.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Shadow Master wrote:Since nobody is replying, I would assume I'm doing well in this, but I know that would be wrong.
Seriously, these are really cool. (and a bit different, but still high-quality, which is nice.)

It's already been pointed out that the poses and general human-ness of most of the lines works against them as demons. There's also the lack of biggerism; while it's much-maligned, it's also basically set in stone now that everyone is embiggened as they go up levels. There's not a lot of variation there.

Might be nice to use the L3s as the new L2s and make some bigger, more beastial L3s. Presumably you're a bit of an arch-devil by L3 anyway.

- Chris
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Shadow wrote:The skirt design is strangely familiar. :wink:
Not bad at all, the upper body looks a bit too attached. I mean a bit unnatural.
Yeah, I used your female warlock as visual reference. Not too far, not too close.

Um, I'll see what I can do about the upper body. That's is probably caused by frankensteining the older version's upper body onto this one, apart from moving and removing small details, etc., lots of blah blah you people don't need to read.

I thought it was just my impression. Now I know I was right.
Thumper wrote:It's already been pointed out that the poses and general human-ness of most of the lines works against them as demons. There's also the lack of biggerism; while it's much-maligned, it's also basically set in stone now that everyone is embiggened as they go up levels. There's not a lot of variation there.
Indeed, I know they need some improvement. It was just a proof of concept, they probably won't go a lot beastie when leveling up anyway, they shall keep the human-like shape.

2 hours later EDIT: Now that I look at the lovely lass in my avatar, I think the problem is the lack of a proper transition between her skirt and her belly.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Tweaked, blah blah. Also fixed a small 3 pixels-long shift in her position over x-axis on hexes.

Um, I also made two different versions for her skirt on colour. Pick the one you want, contact me, and I shall use it in IftU. Currently it is using the lighter one.
Attachments
Elynia - green skirt
Elynia - green skirt
rtest-lady-of-light.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
Elynia - desaturated and darker (???) skirt
Elynia - desaturated and darker (???) skirt
rtest-lady-of-light-darkerskirt.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Not my artwork, but Jetryl's, this Elvish Sorceress sprite was put in Invasion from the Unknown so that Analia has her own look.

Also, I made two sprites, Elvish Hunter, and Elvish Sentinel (renamed to Elvish Trapper), which are the wood counterparts of their desertish elvish counterparts (see UtBS). And yes, I am lacking an Elvish Prowler. :) These are basically rusty frankensteinings of existing art, more spec. Elvish Fighter and Archer.

Ah, and TC-ed Shadow's "Elvish eternal guard" thingie from his art contribs gallery.
Attachments
assorted-elves.png
assorted-elves.png (14.3 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Oh noes, that one is quite old. I would check the outlines ingame. They might not stand out enough. An old disease of my earlier sprites.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It is the best that I could find in the whole art gallery, and I was in a hurry (i.e. he is a place-holder for now, for the sake of WML testing).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I think I solved the problem with Elynia. Attached.

btw, Shadow, IMO your Elvish Guard looks pretty good in-game, specially now that it is TC-ed. It might be just because I don't have artistic eyes.

And yeah, I decided to do something new. I redrew her wings from scratch. So it might or might not look good. IMO it looks good, but again, it's just my opinion. Although I tend to think that I made a exaggerated halo effect on them.

Changed her staff's top a bit too.

EDIT: huh? The halo disappeared during the .xcf conversion. Better attach my avatar.
Attachments
new_avatar.png
new_avatar.png (24.28 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
lady-of-light.png
lady-of-light.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 4831 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Against the forum background you can't see her halo, so here it is against the working copy's background.
Attachments
rtest-lady-of-light.png
rtest-lady-of-light.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 4783 times