Unit sprites for Invasion from the Unknown/After the Storm

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Oh why? Is something more wrong now, or is it just because I want her face to look somewhat fiery? :P

BTW, it seems that the belly issue is still there, I notice it again in my laptop's screen.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

You reduced the smooth transitions with darker lines. Not good.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

Honestly, i don't think you're gonna be able to trump Jetryl at this.
Nice to see the effort though.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

BloodIssyl wrote:Honestly, i don't think you're gonna be able to trump Jetryl at this.
Nice to see the effort though.
That's not my intention, I'm making this for my campaign! (Which will be published as soon as I have a solid, defined, storyline and at least 4 scenarios written).
Shadow wrote:You reduced the smooth transitions with darker lines. Not good.
Aye, I still have to improve that part. Both mine (Shadow Master unit) and her sprites have too dark outlines, which is annoying and inconsistent with other sprites.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I'm not sure whether it's fixed or not. Something looks more wrong now, but, anyway, I removed the green decoration layer from the output (note: it's stored as a separate layer in the XCF file) to give an idea of how much darkened her hair was by that pesky deco. Just in case, I modified her hair's shading slightly at the bottom, and also changed the general outline for making smoother transitions, trying to imitate the style of other sprites*.

* other except the Elvish Druid's sprites, which seems to have too many outlines.
Attachments
shyde-arcanemaster-comparison.png
shyde-arcanemaster-comparison.png (12.6 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Not bad. Indeed an improvement. They hair has lost definition though.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Personally, I like her hair more now.

On the whole, I like ...it? ...her?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I can notice now that something else has really lost definition, and it's her wings. It must be because I frankensteined the Elvish Sylph's wings, as Shyde's did not fit in this L4 unit's pose. I guess I'll have to go back to the Shyde wings and make some adjustments.

Her hair also annoys me. If I could use the shape of the mainline original, but without throwing away mine's current height/length.

It should be easier now that I separated her body into different XCF layers (wings, main, hair, TC 1, TC 2, TC 3, staff, shadow-base, shadow-blurred, decoration-spring-back, decoration-spring).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

...like this edit:
EDIT: and there's still something that annoys me, like granularity.
Attachments
shyde-arcanemaster.png
shyde-arcanemaster.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Better. I just can't stand the brown boots but I quess that's personal taste.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

The brown boots look a bit like those things babies wear. No idea what the name is. Basically, they are a bit too small + soft looking.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Urs, the word you're looking for is 'booties', and yes, they do look like children's slippers. Then again, so do the footpad's...
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Weeksy wrote:Urs, the word you're looking for is 'booties', and yes, they do look like children's slippers. Then again, so do the footpad's...
Given that footpads are supposed to sneak around quietly slippers (or moccasins) make sense...
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

irrevenant wrote:
Weeksy wrote:Urs, the word you're looking for is 'booties', and yes, they do look like children's slippers. Then again, so do the footpad's...
Given that footpads are supposed to sneak around quietly slippers (or moccasins) make sense...
On the footpad they make sense. He looks like a low class soldier. While the fairy probably doesn't need protection from here clothes I mean look at this dress I wouldn't want to walk with it though a forest (ignoring the obvious fact that I wouldn't wear such a dress anyways, not my style) and who needs to be sneaky. If you can fly.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Not sure in the Wesnoth future, after UtBS. (Spoilers?)

It seems that I can never get tired of doing edits. ;) Well, here is what for me seems to be the final version, as I don't find anything annoying (except, perhaps, the TC staff top I made). Drew the staff's top from scratch and recoloured most of it, to make it look actually like a magic staff (holy staff).

I'll consider removing the boots, but I'm not good at drawing naked feet. :P I have done several attempts before, and all of them were plain ugly.

SPOILERS: her unit is supposed to walk in caves, sand and other flat terrains, and only fly over water and other unstable terrains. The campaign is supposed to take place some centuries after UtBS, so you can imagine the kind of lands she will walk on.
Attachments
Final (?) version
Final (?) version
shyde-arcanemaster.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 4803 times