Drawing Windows

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Telvannia

Drawing Windows

Post by Telvannia »

I'm need of some artistic help, maingly on drawing windows because i can never make them look realistic.
I dont contribute to wesnoth as such, i develop art for spacenoth, which im sure you have heard off.
Anyway back to the point i have a village thing, but it lacks good windows and any detail, normally i would post for help in spacenoth but it is rather dead over there at the moment. An suggestions, i enclose my latest village:
Attachments
Spacestation.png
Spacestation.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

not actually sure which forum this belongs in:
is it contribution or workshop?
meh
some mod can move it if it needs to be moved
Troy

Post by Troy »

yeah, I know, I am under the name "spaceranger12" there but since it is dead it seems I am not posting there. oh, and try some bars on the windows.

EDIT: oops, posted too late
well, all for the better good than for the bad good.

new forum
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

it is not that dead, you just came in at a dead time.
the forum seems to be either dead, or really alive you came in at the wrong point.

as for the bars on the windows, i tried that though it is meant to be futuristic so i think they would only have one sheet of glass without bars or anything.

What do you mean posted to late?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

One word: Reference.

Google for pictures to use as reference. Both photographs of buildings to see what they really look like and sprites of buildings to see how people who already know what they are doing make them.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

i tried using other picture to reference to but then they became those pictures whereas i prefer them to come out of my head so that i know what i want it to look like for all sides, ect.
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

Windows aren't blue... look around, can you see some? It's different shades of gray, unless the glass is not the common type.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

VS wrote:Windows aren't blue... look around, can you see some? It's different shades of gray, unless the glass is not the common type.
windows are often blue, eg: http://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/images/Fu ... ilding.jpg.

but thats because they reflect the sky; windows in space do not reflect it for obvious reasons. then again, in space, all colonies and ships and stations should be black too :o so the color could be anything, as its all totally unrealistic anyway. i suggest keeping blue.
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

Syntax_Error wrote:
VS wrote:Windows aren't blue... look around, can you see some? It's different shades of gray, unless the glass is not the common type.
windows are often blue, eg: http://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/images/Fu ... ilding.jpg.

but thats because they reflect the sky; windows in space do not reflect it for obvious reasons. then again, in space, all colonies and ships and stations should be black too :o so the color could be anything, as its all totally unrealistic anyway. i suggest keeping blue.
This will probably be used as part of the ground part of the spacenoth mod. But that part still need finishing.
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

Syntax_Error wrote:

Yhea you rigth, but it's not space... it is suposed to be on ground like... other planets. :wink:

EDIT: Let me give you a litell help... work a litell more on this one.
And if you want to know how to do windows look at the ship, Jetryl helped me whit it, but vilage window is too small to do that....
Attachments
Moon stacion.png
Moon stacion.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
Collector.png
Collector.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

I like the coloured dome.
Im not a big fan of the wooden box, it does not really fit in with the idea of a futuristic moon station.
i tried putting that image onto the lunar terrain, here is the result:
Attachments
Moon_Station.png
Moon_Station.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

it looks just very boxxy, try making a detailed one
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

imagine one of the wesnoth keeps, then change it to make it futuristic and add a crane in the middle!
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

sounds a good idea, i will keep that one, and see if i can make some more different styles
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

If you want to play around with shadow of the buildings another guy made a good animated tutorial about them.
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7089 ... dowxf3.gif.
It shows quite good how to construct them.

The walls could need some kind of texture to show some kind of roughness on the surface.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes