WW1 Units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

JW wrote:Wow...that really does seem to be quite effective at animating. Each frame looks exactly like it should in its given position. Very nice.

Where is the Frenchman pulling his gun from though?
Yeah, once the unit's completely drawn, animating it is a piece of cake...
The french guy is wearing his gun on his back, I know it's not really easy to see, I will try to fix that, as I agree Rhuvaen about improving the shading... And I'll add a little flame when firing, at the moment I was just testing these two guys ingame, to see how they look like, and I see them firing arrows at each other... :wink:

For the bayonets, you're right about it, but they were put on the gun only before charges mostly, so I'll use them for the melee animation, which I still have to do...
And yes, I plan to add early MG, artillery and aviation, you can check that thread for more info, but it's the beginning, I guess lots of things will evolve with time and experience... http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14046
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

JW wrote:Wow...that really does seem to be quite effective at animating. Each frame looks exactly like it should in its given position. Very nice.

From his underwear, JW... That's how they won !
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
traverser

Post by traverser »

Maybe you could have kids playing that it is WW1. POW!! sounds on shots, etc. Maybe if you want move animations you could have a hand pick the unit up and move it to somewhere. :twisted:
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:

From his underwear, JW... That's how they won !
Actually, you can see the rifle on his back, attached with the "cord" (Don't know what the real word is)
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

traverser wrote:Maybe you could have kids playing that it is WW1. POW!! sounds on shots, etc. Maybe if you want move animations you could have a hand pick the unit up and move it to somewhere. :twisted:
Sounds like a good idea, but I hardly see how to make those hands, and the little animations I did were just test actually, I'll first create all the units graphics before beginning animating them I think, so the factions gets playable faster...

I also joined a bigger picture of the french infantryman, so you can see better his rifle on his back :wink:
Attachments
Bigger picture of French infantryman
Bigger picture of French infantryman
infantrybig.png (8.17 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Wow.. that is actually suprisingly easy to make, I thought it would be harder. I mean, that's the stuff I make. Shows how good some things look scaled down. I just want to see how these vehicles are done.

Also, Yanshee, alot of factions have only base images at first, so by you doing that, your doing a pretty normal thing.

Good Work anyway.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

I made 2 more units: the French Capitaine, and the French Crapouillot (trench mortar), tell me what you think of it... :wink:
Attachments
Capitaine
Capitaine
frcapitaine.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
crapouillot (trench mortar)
crapouillot (trench mortar)
frcrapouillot.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I think the mortar should be a bit larger, especially higher. Good work in any case.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
rojoha

Post by rojoha »

hope this guys dont comes to game. :D
its good enough with The Dwarvish gun guys maybe if they look like draves it would be nice to put in Dwarves team
like the cannon but a dwafe behind instead of human
ELVES FOREVER!!!
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Nice vectors.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Nice, what program do you use.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Yanshee wrote: Well, I have to admit one thing, these are not pixelart units, they're done in Inkscape, in vector.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Oops. :oops:
Yanshee

Post by Yanshee »

I reworked a bit the crapouillot, I scaled the mortar a bit up, and reworked slightly the perspective, so it looks less flat, ...

I also did a first version of the breguet, an early war french airplane, I think I'll have to rework a bit the perspective on the tail, it looks a little strange to me, tell me what you think about these... :wink:
Attachments
French breguet
French breguet
frbreguet.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
crapouillot updated
crapouillot updated
frcrapouillot.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I know what's wrong with the tail of the plane. Not quite sure how to describe it, but I'll try to put it in words.

Actually f*** words. Instead, here's a quick image hack to point you in the right direction. Hope it helps.
(Note that this isn't intended to be final. I reccomend you redo it yourself.)

Good luck with the era and all that. It looks interesting.
Attachments
frbreguet_259.png
frbreguet_259.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 5182 times