Art for Napoleonnoth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Tux2B wrote:Maybe the lvl3 unit could have the "Légion d'Honneur" somewhere on his chest
I have thought of giving the plume back to the lvl2 units (19th century armies were nothing if not flamboyant) and adding a decoration on the lvl3 units.

Problem is, for a lot of them, it would go unnoticed.

It's also pretty small.

P.S.
Tux2B wrote:Today, however, you just need to be some kind of famous American actor, or be Vladimir Putin (yes, even he has one. A shame if you ask me) to get it.
I was under the impression that, nowadays, getting the "légion d'honneur" is just a question of having appeared on TV or having published something...
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Some good news, some bad news.

The Good:

All the unit art is complete! The artillery that had been eluding me for awhile has finally been done. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for a first release.

I'll put the lvl 1 artillery up for C&C.

The Bad:

I won't have the nation's emblems done for the first release. I had wanted to have a little drawing for each nation, as a symbol. So far, unfortunately, the only acceptable one is Rheinnen's, and it's still only a doodle in my physics textbook.

Thus, the emblems won't be in the first release.

The first release should be on the server in 2-3 days.
Attachments
Lvl 1 artillery of Rheinnen. Any comments?
Lvl 1 artillery of Rheinnen. Any comments?
R_cannon.gif (15.24 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
Flarin

Post by Flarin »

Make the cannon bigger
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

More specifically, make the wheel of the cannon much bigger.
Here's a quick reference image. Note the size of the wheels compared to the barrel.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Resurrection spell!

With the first version of Napoleonnoth released, I am ready to <a href="http://wesnoth.org/forum/?=work">work</a> on the art some more.

I. Cannon Wheels

In regards to the cannon, I have made a version with bigger wheels. However, try as I might, I can't figure out how to draw the "tail" of the cannon (as can be seen on the photo).

The new version is included, comments would be appreciated, and particularly suggestions on how to draw the rear end of the cannon.

II. Level Differentiation

Zhukov has noticed that the difference between levels is somewhat small for some units. I have also noticed that, in-game, the purple-uniform level 3's stick out like a sore thumb among the blue-uniform level 1-2's.

So, I had an almost anti-artistic idea : how about a simple, abstract little marker to show level 2 and level 3 units. Easy to notice, unintrusive, and evocative (if made right).

Also, as it can be added to the unit pic using overlays, I do not need to do any additional art to implement it.

It also frees up uniform color, so I can use it to show nationality (blue-Poenia, red-Albion, gray-Rheinnen, ?-Borea).

I have included below a little chart of what the Poenian infantry looks like now and what it would look like if I implement this idea.

Which do you think is best?
Attachments
Bigger wheels, still lacking the &amp;quot;tail&amp;quot;
Bigger wheels, still lacking the &quot;tail&quot;
R_artillery.gif (15.24 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Last edited by Casual User on November 27th, 2006, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

A marker isn't a bad idea, but that doesn't seem right... Maybe stripes or a star instead of the blue 'hero' blob.

And Borea should be a greyish-green.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
DraconicBlessing

Post by DraconicBlessing »

I prefer the marker, as opposed to the complete colour change. I'm not entirely sure why, but I do.
The Past never was.
The Future never will be.
There is only Now.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ch-ch-ch-chevrons, anyone?
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:A marker isn't a bad idea, but that doesn't seem right... Maybe stripes or a star instead of the blue 'hero' blob.
How about medals?
Attachments
Proposal.gif
Proposal.gif (45.62 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Sorry for the double post.

Just wanted to say that, as my attachbox is slowly but surely filling up, I will delete the images that are big and obsolete...
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Casual User wrote:So, I had an almost anti-artistic idea : how about a simple, abstract little marker to show level 2 and level 3 units. Easy to notice, unintrusive, and evocative (if made right).
I like Jetryl's idea: chevrons. I'd say give the level one a plain uniform and a plain hat, the level two a plume, and the level three both a plume and chevrons.

Or, if you prefer, give chevrons but no plume to the level two and both chevrons and a plume to the level three.
Casual User wrote:It also frees up uniform color, so I can use it to show nationality (blue-Poenia, red-Albion, gray-Rheinnen, ?-Borea).
How about:

blue-Poenia, red-Albion, white-Rheinnen, green-Borea
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Casual User wrote:So, I had an almost anti-artistic idea : how about a simple, abstract little marker to show level 2 and level 3 units. Easy to notice, unintrusive, and evocative (if made right).
I like Jetryl's idea: chevrons. I'd say give the level one a plain uniform and a plain hat, the level two a plume, and the level three both a plume and chevrons.

Or, if you prefer, give chevrons but no plume to the level two and both chevrons and a plume to the level three.
Casual User wrote:It also frees up uniform color, so I can use it to show nationality (blue-Poenia, red-Albion, gray-Rheinnen, ?-Borea).
How about:

blue-Poenia, red-Albion, white-Rheinnen, green-Borea
Chevrons were sort of what I was driving at with my suggestion of stripes. I just forgot the actual term. The medals aren't bad, though.

Green was my suggestion for Borea, but why white for Rheinnen rather than grey?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Green was my suggestion for Borea, but why white for Rheinnen rather than grey?
Follow the link and look under "prints" for photos of Austrian soldiers:

http://www.uniformology.com/Austria-index.html

Rheinnen being based on Austria, they should look as Austrian as we can make them.

As far as I can tell, gray was the color of the uniforms of Austrian militiamen, but regulars would wear white or light blue or white with a red coat or red and blue.

Anyway, this site will give more than enough information on military uniforms, Austrian or otherwise!

Besides, white uniforms would be more distinctive than gray when stacked up with blue, red, and green.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on November 27th, 2006, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Makes sense to me.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

I've made a mock-up of what they would look like with chevrons...

I really prefer the medals, if for no other reasons than that chevrons were not commonly used as military insignia back then (AFAIK).

White uniforms... that would be hell to draw. I gave it a try, but failed miserably.

I'll try again though.
Attachments
Proposal2.gif
Proposal2.gif (45.62 KiB) Viewed 3486 times