Rain effect wiki page

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
scott

Post by scott »

turin wrote:I don't support it having an effect on gameplay, but if it doesn't, what is the point of having it at all? It would be kind of confusing if it was raining all the time but you still got the lawful/chaotic bonuses.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me for a thunderstorm to last for more than one or two turns.
Yeah, but this is a start. Ambiance must be done very carefully, and this might be too heavy-handed for general use. But, it's a start.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

scott wrote:
turin wrote:I don't support it having an effect on gameplay, but if it doesn't, what is the point of having it at all? It would be kind of confusing if it was raining all the time but you still got the lawful/chaotic bonuses.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me for a thunderstorm to last for more than one or two turns.
Yeah, but this is a start. Ambiance must be done very carefully, and this might be too heavy-handed for general use. But, it's a start.
It seems to me that (as an option) this would be good for something that I've wanted for a while, an idle/screen-saver mode. Basically, I think that there should be idle animations for when you don't do anything for a minute. I had originally thought of adding idle animations to units, but that would be a lot of work for the artists. This could be a great alternative. Note that by screen-saver, I don't mean for use as a screen-saver by your OS. That would be a slightly different project, probably involving a series of automated AI vs. AI battles.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

It looks good, but can you please make it a little more random? When I tested it, I could easily see that all of the raindrops were splashing at the same time. Also, is there a way to turn the rain off and on during a scenario?

I made some macros for lightning strikes several months back. They can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4964 .
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

MadMax wrote:It looks good, but can you please make it a little more random? When I tested it, I could easily see that all of the raindrops were splashing at the same time. Also, is there a way to turn the rain off and on during a scenario?
Yes, I suppose there should be more variation on the splashing. Currently there's no way to toggle it on and off during a scenario, and I can't really think of a way of doing it with current WML.
MadMax wrote:I made some macros for lightning strikes several months back. They can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4964 .
Actually, scenario 8 in RotL, partially for which I created this, already has it's own thundering. I'm not sure if it's really good (it lacks the bolts themselves), better or worse than yours (which I haven't seen in action) but the sounds work quite nicely (and even have that little delay).
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

IMHO rain should only be used as a dramatic tool by scenario designers, not randomly appearing in any level. As far as i can tell no one is proposing that it should appear in all levels, though some people are just assuming that it wil appear everywhere. :?

I look forward to playing far enough to see this :) ... (don't want to cheat and peek ahead)

I don't think anyone (except neo non-seriously) is proposing that the rain effects gameplay. I agree thats a bad idea. I don't see why it should effect lawful/chaotic bonuses. During all but the worst storms, day is easily distinguishable from dusk or night.
Storms can last for days...
Kestenvarn wrote:I can't find the link at the moment, but maybe someone should add "this doesn't apply to the UI design" to the KISS philosophy section if it already isn't there...
KISS does apply to the UI (user's interface) It should be (and mostly is) simple and easy to understand.
But weather effects aren't part of UI. A preference to turn weather on/off would be a minor part of the UI, but probably not a KISS issue.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Well, the screenshots look great and all, but Wesnoth already brings my computer to a crawl. That little fact is mostly due to the complex animations (when I activated halos, it became almost impossible to play).

In fact, I have dreamed of a fork, named Wesnoth light, where all animations would be curtailed to one frame max, removing halos/deaths/portraits/other fancy stuff.

I think you can tell where I want to get to with this...

Incidentally,
Neoriceisgood wrote:I THINK RAIN SHOULD ADD [shallow water] AS VARIABLE FOR EVERY LANDSCAPE AND MAKE IT DAWN JUST TO MESS WITH PEOPLE!
Actually, a flood scenario, where the water slowly rises and you have to get to higher ground, could be fun.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I checked my lightning macros, and they don't work. Here's an updated version.

the 5 lightning.png files go in the images/halo directory, Invisible.cfg in data/units, and lightning.cfg in data/utils. {LIGHTNING_STRIKE} will produce a sound and a flash of light, and {LIGHTNING_STRIKE_DIRECTED X Y} will fire a lightning bolt at the specified location.
Attachments
lightning.zip
(40.62 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It is true that it is possible to distinguish between day and night during "all but the worst storms", but it is also true that day during a storm is much darker than day not during a storm - almost like dawn or dusk, not day. So, if I were a new player, and I saw rain on the level, I would probably immediately think, "what effect is this having on Time of Day?", and then, when I saw that it appeared to have none, I would get confused.

It might just be because I live in Texas, but I've never seen a storm last for more than 8 hours. :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
breversa

Post by breversa »

Casual User wrote:Actually, a flood scenario, where the water slowly rises and you have to get to higher ground, could be fun.
Two scenarii in Under the burning suns and Invasion of Eliador are based on a race against a flood.
scott

Post by scott »

Texas storms are more violent than we have here, where you can go for a week without seeing sun. It's plenty bright during those times however.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

turin wrote:It is true that it is possible to distinguish between day and night during "all but the worst storms", but it is also true that day during a storm is much darker than day not during a storm - almost like dawn or dusk, not day. So, if I were a new player, and I saw rain on the level, I would probably immediately think, "what effect is this having on Time of Day?", and then, when I saw that it appeared to have none, I would get confused.

It might just be because I live in Texas, but I've never seen a storm last for more than 8 hours. :roll:
That is actually a quite good way of doing it, occasionally have the weather change would be quite funky, and making it affect the time of day would be a quite nice, and not too powerful idea, as long as it doesn't last for more then a turn or two.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Disto wrote: That is actually a quite good way of doing it, occasionally have the weather change would be quite funky, and making it affect the time of day would be a quite nice, and not too powerful idea, as long as it doesn't last for more then a turn or two.
And, of course, to balance it in favour of lawful, one could implement the occasional super-nova! :P
Play Dwarf Fortress, where berserker dwarves really make you cry!
My favourite Bach site:
-To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit
player

Post by player »

I think this one is already applied on one of the campaigns that is only posted on the forums.
It actually makes the game so slow.
The campaign name I guess is Return of the Legions.
-jew