What text editor do you use for WML?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.

What text editor do you use?

vi
No votes
vim
16%
gvim
12%
notepad
12%
emacs
24%
textpad
8%
the mac one
4%
other (i.e. the one I forgot)
24%

Total votes: 25

turin
Lord of the East

What text editor do you use for WML?

Post by turin »

I figure, hey, if the art people can do a poll like this, why can't we? :P

So, which is it? I use gvim, a graphical version of vim. Basically, it has syntax highlighting, and a graphical interface for saving and loading files, but other than that it's vim.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I use gvim for WML, as well as most text files of all types. Occasionally I just use vim if I want to look at something quickly.

I really doubt many people at all would use vi. Some people mistakenly think they do because many GNU/Linux distributions run 'vim' when you use the command 'vi'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, I have a really old computer that does not have vim installed. I checked to see if it wasn't just using vi as an alias for vim, and it wasn't. That's the only reason I put it in the poll. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:Actually, I have a really old computer that does not have vim installed. I checked to see if it wasn't just using vi as an alias for vim, and it wasn't. That's the only reason I put it in the poll. ;)
Well, some GNU/Linux distributions have vim, but they simply call it 'vi'. Did you do a vi --version to be sure?
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

BBEdit on the mac. It doesn't do syntax color on WML though. Multiple clipboards, unlimited undo/redo, terminal tool, support for scripts and filters through any shell script, automatic backup on saves, and on and on...

Plus I've been doing around 80% of my work in BBEdit - for 7 to 8 years - so I'm very efficient.

People interested might try TextWrangler - which is the free version of BBedit. Most features are there.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

I voted Emacs... but I use jEdit on my windows comp., and occasionally on my mac. I also occosionally use TextEdit.
scott

Post by scott »

I use BBEdit Lite 6.0 because I think Text Wrangler takes too long to start up. How's that? However unless I'm doing multi-file searches, usually TextEdit works for most of my stuff since I don't need frills.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

I use Notepad++.

You can even use custom keyword highlighting and stuff like that.
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I use emacs. Perhaps wordpad would work but I'm to lazy to try. I already have all WML configured to lunch with emacs.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I use nano when I just have to change a few lines, or something.
I would use kwrite when I was going to write an entire scenario, which I haven't done for a while.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Crimson Editor. Very nice and simple.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

I use cream, which is a version of gvim with no modes and windows-like keyboard shortcuts.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

vim & gvim, on kde sometimes kate,
on windows for small stuff Edxor (see http://freezip.cjb.net/freeware).
-HaJo