Using new AI in campaigns Split from: Defence strategies?...

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Noxos

Using new AI in campaigns Split from: Defence strategies?...

Post by Noxos »

When will this new AI be an option? (the "Ron AI")

Although in campaigns the AI usually has a pretty significant advantage, I would still prefer a better AI. The harder the better for me generally when it comes to games like this.

The AI seems really good at knowing what units to attack and in what order, but seems to struggle with knowing what terrain to fight on, and it never seems to really have a cohesive formation. It's still a lot better than what I've seen in similar games though.

On page three of this said it was mentioned that it's available in mainline campaigns? How do I use it?

thanks (new to Wesnoth)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Defence strategies? (for the AI)

Post by Alarantalara »

It's available for campaigns if you want to edit the mainline campaigns or create your own. Otherwise you're limited to multiplayer games in 1.11.1 (see the dropdown where it says Default AI). The part you mention it struggling with isn't improved, however.
Noxos

Re: Defence strategies? (for the AI)

Post by Noxos »

How do I go about editing the mainline campaigns to add in this alternate AI?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Using new AI in campaigns Split from: Defence strategies

Post by Alarantalara »

Split topic since it was going off track of the original discussion.

Basically, all you need to do is replace the entire [ai] block for every enemy side in every scenario with

Code: Select all

{ai/aliases/dev_multiplayer.cfg}
or add it if there is no AI block.

This will break some scenarios that already have complicated AI and you may find little improvement in some cases because of restricted recruit lists. Generally, the more content in that [ai] block, the less likely that replacing it is safe.