is it possible to do different scenes in one scenario?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Huston

is it possible to do different scenes in one scenario?

Post by Huston »

for those of you familiar with cutscenes, i was wondering if it is possible to do like a fade out/fade in, while i have terrain changes being applied.. i was wondering if it is possible because i'd basically be completely redoing the map via terrain changes. this scenario is supposed to have a cutscene sort of feel.

EDIT: also how do you shroud a specific hex?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: is it possible to do different scenes in one scenario?

Post by Anonymissimus »

Huston wrote:for those of you familiar with cutscenes, i was wondering if it is possible to do like a fade out/fade in, while i have terrain changes being applied.. i was wondering if it is possible because i'd basically be completely redoing the map via terrain changes. this scenario is supposed to have a cutscene sort of feel.
there's [replace_map], {FADE_TO_BLACK} and {FADE_IN}
in "Knights of the Silver Spire" is a comprehensive cutscene example that uses it IIRC

EDIT: also how do you shroud a specific hex?

Code: Select all

[side]
    shroud=yes
[/side]
[event]
    name=prestart
    [remove_shroud]
    #side 1 is default, everywhere is default (i think) - test it
    [/remove_shroud]
    [place_shroud]
    x,y=...#hex coords to place shroud
    [/place_shroud]
[/event]
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

As Anonymissimus pointed out, TKotSS does indeed have a multi-scene cutscene sceneario. However, that same cutscene scenario winds up split into two scenarios, because I needed to have some story text in the middle of it, which is impossible with just one scenario. So you should think about how much story text you want and where it needs to go, and plan for the resulting number of scenarios.

Also, if you get stuck with cutscene-related stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM. There were several tricks that I had to figure out to get things working (quite notably: the player needs to have a leader on the map at some point for the scenario to end in the correct manner).
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

solsword wrote:(quite notably: the player needs to have a leader on the map at some point for the scenario to end in the correct manner).
What do you mean ? Is the word "point" in your sentence a spatial or a temporal point ?
At the scenario's end, the leader may also be put to the recall list manually. The player loses once he/she hits "Turn done" then, but if the scenario is [endlevel]ed before, it doesn't matter.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Huston

Post by Huston »

ok. thanks. if i can't get it to work properly i'll definitely shoot you a pm solsword.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Anonymissimus wrote:
solsword wrote:(quite notably: the player needs to have a leader on the map at some point for the scenario to end in the correct manner).
What do you mean ? Is the word "point" in your sentence a spatial or a temporal point ?
At the scenario's end, the leader may also be put to the recall list manually. The player loses once he/she hits "Turn done" then, but if the scenario is [endlevel]ed before, it doesn't matter.
I was referring to a temporal point (although of course, being "on" the map requires a spatial point as well). I'm not sure about the other question (was it a question?)... I've got a working scenario (scenario 3 of TKotSS) in which the player's leader is manually moved to the recall list well before the endlevel triggers, although it triggers on the same turn. The issue that I experienced happened when I either didn't have a side with controller=human, or didn't have that side's leader on the map at any point during the cutscene. Once both those conditions were fulfilled, the problem went away.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

solsword wrote:or didn't have that side's leader on the map at any point during the cutscene.
How do you achieve this in a scenario ? AFAIK the leader of persistent sides is automatically recalled to the starting position specified in the map file at scenario start in any case. Do you get to the start event (containing the cutscene and [endlevel] tag), if there's no canrecruit=yes unit on the recall list at all ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

None of my map files for the cutscene have starting points in them. Of course, my sides also have no_leader=yes, because I find that specifying a leader within the [side] tag is ridiculous and confusing. So I guess the no_leader=yes prevents the automatic recall, 'cause there's a later mission that does have starting points where I don't recall the leader until part-way through the intro cutscene.