Error!

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
floodbud

Error!

Post by floodbud »

I wrote some real quick WML, just another faction with one character, and on startup I got a message that said:
"Game configuration files could not be loaded. Multiplayer tag has no ending tag in factions/drakes-default.cfg:2" + included from etc. etc. etc.
So I went to drakes-default.cfg, and the multiplayer tag is closed. What is my problem?
I copied-pasted other character's WML to make mine, so it is all standard and should work fine.
Please help!
--floodbud
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Error!

Post by zookeeper »

floodbud wrote:So I went to drakes-default.cfg, and the multiplayer tag is closed. What is my problem?
An error that says some tag is unclosed (while it is closed) in 99% of cases means that you either 1) gave a macro the wrong number of arguments or 2) forgot the closing quote from a quoted string. That causes the preprocessor to eat some of the following tags as being part of the string or part of the macro arguments and makes it much confused, which then produces confusing error messages.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

floodbud wrote:I wrote some real quick WML, just another faction with one character, and on startup I got a message that said:
"Game configuration files could not be loaded. Multiplayer tag has no ending tag in factions/drakes-default.cfg:2" + included from etc. etc. etc.
So I went to drakes-default.cfg, and the multiplayer tag is closed. What is my problem?
I copied-pasted other character's WML to make mine, so it is all standard and should work fine.
Please help!
If you posted the culprit WML (yours), we could be more helpful too, this and future help requests. :)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
floodbud

Post by floodbud »

zookeeper wrote:
floodbud wrote:So I went to drakes-default.cfg, and the multiplayer tag is closed. What is my problem?
An error that says some tag is unclosed (while it is closed) in 99% of cases means that you either 1) gave a macro the wrong number of arguments or 2) forgot the closing quote from a quoted string. That causes the preprocessor to eat some of the following tags as being part of the string or part of the macro arguments and makes it much confused, which then produces confusing error messages.
I'll check on it, thanks. Any other suggestions?
Uh, call me stupid, but what is a macro?
--floodbud
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

If you wrote this kind of code:

Code: Select all

{UNIT (Elvish Fighter) (Elon) ( _ "Elon") 3 3}
... the single fact of you using code enclosed in { } curly braces, indicates you were using a macro being unaware of that. :D

Reference here: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/PreprocessorRef
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
floodbud

alright

Post by floodbud »

Okay, so I went and got myself learned in the art of macros, and I didn't use any in my factions file or my unit file. I think I may post the problematic code shortly.
--floodbud
gabe

Post by gabe »

for future reference the posting of code with problems is the preferred method for the forums :D

as zookeeper said if isn't a macro then probably a quote
but could be anything
we are just guessing :P

thats why you should post the code :lol:
happy timezone traveler
floodbud

hey

Post by floodbud »

thanks...I'll post it soon. Thanks for correcting me.
--floodbud