Heading for 1.0

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Viliam
Translator

Re: Heading for 1.0

Post by Viliam »

Dave wrote:We are now planning to head aggressively for 1.0.
(...)
We will freeze all strings at least 4 weeks before 1.0 is released to give translators a chance to catch up and so that we can deliver 1.0 with some complete translations.
Big thanks! That's what I was waiting for.

I was not here from the beginning, but it is more than one year since I came. Being a part of Wesnoth community was a great experience; however, I feel it's time now to move to other projects.

Unfortunately, I am the only Slovak translator here; and I do not want to abandon the work unfinished. But neither do I want to continue doing it forever. Translating the 1.0 version and saying "Goodbye!" seems to be the best solution for me. In my mental checklist, there will be a "finished project" note, instead of "spent a long time, then quit". (Because most of my projects end unfinished, and I spent very much time doing the translation, this difference is very important for me.)

So, I am looking forward to version 1.0! :D
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

The most important implication of this is that no new features will enter the engine between now and 1.0. The only code-changes that will be made are for bug-fixes.
I suggest that you should post this in the ideas thread.
scott

Post by scott »

Or lock the forum. Not forever, just for the time being. People could post 2.0 ideas in the off-topic forum.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Attila

Post by Attila »

scott wrote:Or lock the forum. Not forever, just for the time being. People could post 2.0 ideas in the off-topic forum.
That forum's starting to get out of hand people are coming up with crazy ideas just for the sake of ideas, but I don't think that the thread should be locked it just might need a revision of the what you shouldn't post stickies.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

IMO ideas forum shoulf NOT be locked, sometimes here is good ideas, just post devs will ignore all code-change needed ideas
Pythagoras

Post by Pythagoras »

tomsik wrote:IMO ideas forum shoulf NOT be locked, sometimes here is good ideas, just post devs will ignore all code-change needed ideas
I agreee. New ideas might be posible after 1.0. Also, people are free to branch wesnoth into whatever they want.
scott

Post by scott »

The effect is psychological. Some people get really mad when their ideas are not accepted. Have you ever seen a topic that says "Don't ignore"? What the poster means is "Don't say no." It sometimes spills over into the developer's or coder's forum. One guy actually posted (more or less) that his idea was in the FPI so thus he moved it straight to the developer discussions forum. Politely telling players that new ideas are temporarily off topic until the game reaches this milestone both allows lively discussion and (hopefully) avoids distraction. You could also just move the ideas forum to the bottom of the forum list between game development and off-topic.

(Spelling edits. Shame on me!)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Unless it's an idea made by me.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Just a reminder to everyone: free/libre/open-source does not work like commercial development. A release is more like a milestone. The 1.0 milestone is an important one, as it signifies the opinion of the developers that what they have created is finally ready to be called a product. But it doesn't (or shouldn't) signify the end of development (if it does, it's actually most likely to signal the beginning of fork-time). New ideas are not going to be rejected from this point on (unless Dave actually wants to trigger a fork). It's really just another release - albeit one that's generally psychologically important to the developers.

All this talk of locking the ideas forum, all this whining about how "my" idea isn't going to make the 1.0 cut - it's all silly. This is not going to be that big a deal. It's going to be a big deal, but not that big. Frankly, I'm waiting for version 9.3! That one's going to be the best! :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

xtifr is absolutely right. In fact. 1.0 signals the approach of a time when it's possible that even more ideas will be accepted, since the developers will no longer be worried about the possibility of 'accepting too many features and never making it to 1.0'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

That is, until a year or 2 later when the same repeats itself for 2.0 :)
dtw

Post by dtw »

that's why it is called the development cycle, dude :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

xtifr wrote:Frankly, I'm waiting for version 9.3! That one's going to be the best! :)
Dave wrote:xtifr is absolutely right.
Wow, I am? Here I thought I was just guessing!

(Ok, I'll go hide back under my rock now.) :)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.