Making defense and movement rates more obvious

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

Post by dtw »

purely in terms of asthetics i think the defense would be better popping up in a tooltip box rather than on the hex

my girlfriend took one look at the screenie and said "might get annoying tho"

it should definitely be optional, you might as well get that out of the way now!
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

silene wrote:In my opinion, the information as it is now displayed can be rather confusing (how many people actually played with this change?). Maybe only one data should ever be displayed at a given time: the defensive value if the hex is reachable, and the turn count if it is not. That way, the confusing "50% (2)" would never get displayed, there would only be "50%" or "(2)".
I agree.

It is indeed useful information, and I like to have it there... but I have experienced the same problem: it is confusing to have both, "%" and "# of turns".
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

If a player could be permitted to stick their oar in:

I really like the idea, but I think it would help if there were some visual cues as to what number was what.

I'm an absolute crap artist, but I'm attaching an image of what I've got in mind. Defense on the top line, followed by a little shield icon, movement on the second line, movement cost first with a foot icon (I know, I said I was crap), turns to reach second follwed by an hourglass icon.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure movement cost is all that important. Defense is, and so is turns-to-reach, but movement cost? I don't consider it critical information.

Hexes in the single-turn radius might just have the defence value.

No go hexes would have a big red X instead of all of this info.
Attachments
wn-1.gif
wn-1.gif (138.45 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Bonehead: that looks nice....if an artist could draw us some decent icons I could see about implementing it. :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Maybe the cumulative MPs could be displayed instead of the per-field ones? Like, instead of "2" before the foot-icon meaning that the field uses up 2 MPs, it could mean, you need 2 MPs to reach it. For example, I have a unit which says "movement 6/6", then I know when I reach the field, I will have "4/6" left.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Hmm...making the over-hex display themable would be nice.
dtw

Post by dtw »

yeah - good one, bonehead!