Wesnoth Inc Board Members -- Request for Nominations

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Wesnoth Inc Board Members -- Request for Nominations

Post by Dave »

The Wesnoth board was established in 2016, a little over three years ago. Since that time, Jetrel, Vultraz, and doofus01 have served on the board and taken responsibility for discussing commissions and managing the finances of the project.

We originally intended to hold new elections for the board every year, but for lack of interest we haven't had any until now. But, we are ripe for new elections and will be holding them in two weeks.

We will have three members on the board. I will not be on the board but will be available to advise and consult the board should it be necessary.

The board will be responsible for managing and allocating our finances and will also be able to appoint or remove project roles should it become necessary. Generally the board's powers are exercised by general agreement. Project roles may only be changed by unanimous vote of the board.

In this thread, project members may nominate people to the board. Nominees will be accepted until November 2nd. Those who are nominated must accept the nomination to be considered, they may do so in this thread or by sending me a PM. If you nominate someone and they don't accept promptly, please message them informing them of the nomination and ask them if they wish to accept.

You may nominate any number of developers to the board. Nominees should understand that being on the board is a position of responsibility and trust that they intend to take seriously.

Anybody may nominate to the board, though only project members who have git access or who have non-trivial copyright claims to content that is in Wesnoth may vote.

The vote will take place in two weeks. Please only nominate in this thread -- if you have any questions or concerns please PM me. Along with the nomination you may make a statement as to why you feel that person will make a good board member. Nominees may accept the nomination in this thread and also add a statement about any particular approach they intend to use while on the board.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Wesnoth Inc Board Members -- Request for Nominations

Post by Dave »

The existing members of the board -- Vultraz, Jetrel, and doofus01 will automatically be considered nominees.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I'd like to nominate Pentarctagon.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'll nominate Soliton and nemaara.

Also, I accept nemaara's nomination.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

I‘d like to nominate josteph and I accept Pentarctagon‘s nomination.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I'm accepting Pentarctagon's nomination as well.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I'll nominate Iris (shadowm).
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I accept vultraz’s nomination.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Soliton wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:38 am I‘d like to nominate josteph and I accept Pentarctagon‘s nomination.
Thanks for the nomination, Soliton.

I don't know if I'd make a good board member. Overseeing project roles and funds is not similar to playing or developing Wesnoth. It's a different skillset and I don't know if I'd be any good at it. (See The Peter Principle.)

I do have a few changes I'd like to propose, but I don't think I need to be a board member to propose them. First, would it make sense to invite regular developers, artists, etc to attend board meetings (or read the board's discord channel, or whatever the board uses) as observers? That would help with transparency as well as with the Peter Principle concerns.

Second, I think the development community should be more welcoming and more inclusive. As a small example, I wonder why this forum (Developers' Discussions) doesn't allow posting by registered users. I think we might be denying ourselves some useful feedback this way. I would prefer to have this forum open for comments from any forum user. I hope that if we ask people not to make off-topic comments here, rather than enforce it with forum settings, they'll do that. That's exactly what we already do for #wesnoth-dev, github, and the entire "Development" section of the forums, and it works well enough in all of them. (And if the experiment doesn't work, we can always change the forum permissions back to how they were.)

I also think that the developers should hold themselves to higher standards - for example, more regression tests with bugfixes, and require doxygen comments on new functions and on new parameters to existing functions - but that's not a board-level issue, I think.

So, in the end, I think I'll decline the nomination. Thank you again for asking me. And of course, should the new board like to me to offer my perspective on any particular matter, I'll be happy to.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Dave wrote: October 21st, 2019, 4:24 am The existing members of the board -- Vultraz, Jetrel, and doofus01 will automatically be considered nominees.
Thanks, however I must decline. I don't really have the time, or the expertise to make my brief efforts valuable enough. The board did some good work on 1.14.0, but we have been pretty moribund since then. There are enough nominees here that will bring new life to it, I wish them well.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I do accept my own nomination, just to be clear.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'd like to nominate Vultraz, Pentarctagon, shadowm, Dave, and Soliton.

I'd like to also extend an honorary nomination to doofus-01, despite them already declining.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!