1.0 Feature List

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

turin wrote:I would say just don't have the map in the background. Instead, have something without black lines on it at all - basically, a blank white parchment. Otherwise, any color will be difficult to read, because it will blend in with the black, blend in with the tan, or be a really light color (like white) that is hard to read.
Conveniently enough, we now have a variety of parchment textures. I think Jetryl's planning on working some magic with them, after which one could be used for this.
Author of Wercator
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Quensul wrote:Conveniently enough, we now have a variety of parchment textures. I think Jetryl's planning on working some magic with them, after which one could be used for this.
It'd be neat if we can specify the background of a [message], so that a campaign developer can have letters.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
squasher

Post by squasher »

sorry for bumping this post, and sorry for suggesting a feature that is likely suggested long before, but...

What I am desperately missing is a possibility to delete installed campains.
(of course an rm -r ~/.wesnoth/data/campains/<campain> works fine, but it is quite onconvenient.)

I think this feature would add some quality for an 1.0 release, but it surely should not lack in a post-1.0 release.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

PingPong wrote: There is only one thing that I miss in Wesnoth (0.9.4) right now:
I can't quit Wesnoth from within a game I play (even if it says quit game!), but have to go back to the main menu first and then click "Quit" a second time. It would be nice if I could quit the whole program at any time
If you're playing in windowed mode you can just click the 'X' of your window manager to close the entire program in one go.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Sorry if it was suggested before but I wasn't able to find it with the search function.

There is only one thing that I miss in Wesnoth (0.9.4) right now:
I can't quit Wesnoth from within a game I play (even if it says quit game!), but have to go back to the main menu first and then click "Quit" a second time. It would be nice if I could quit the whole program at any time or at least when playing a game and not only when I'm in the main menu / title screen. Would be nice to see this in 1.0, because having a really good (G)UI is quite essential IMHO.

Right now when I'm playing a game and click on Menu the following options are available:

Menu
  • Scenario Objectives
    Statistics
    Unit List
    Status Table
    Save Game
    Load Game
    Preferences
    Help
    Quit Game
Adding another option would be a good improvement to the GUI IMHO:

Menu
  • Scenario Objectives
    Statistics
    Unit List
    Status Table
    Save Game
    Load Game
    Preferences
    Help
    Quit Game
    Quit Wesnoth
In most cases it shouldn't even need real translation, because you might be able to use the "Quit Game" String and simply replace the word for game with "Wesnoth".

If for some reason it would need translation anyway I would suggest doing it even another (and better!) way:

Menu
  • Scenario Objectives
    Statistics
    Unit List
    Status Table
    Save Game
    Load Game
    Preferences
    Help
    Main Menu (quits game)
    Quit Program
Doing it like that would avoid any possible confusion on the user side (which would be the last thing a GUI should do).

P.S.: I really love this game! You all did an awesome job with creating it!
PingPong

Post by PingPong »

Dave wrote:
PingPong wrote: There is only one thing that I miss in Wesnoth (0.9.4) right now:
I can't quit Wesnoth from within a game I play (even if it says quit game!), but have to go back to the main menu first and then click "Quit" a second time. It would be nice if I could quit the whole program at any time
If you're playing in windowed mode you can just click the 'X' of your window manager to close the entire program in one go.
Thanks, Dave.

Personally I dislike playing any game in windowed mode (and I guess I'm not the only one who does).

Maybe an "X" could be added to the upper right in full screen mode? This wouldn't need any translations, anyone would understand what it means and there would be almost no risc clicking it accidently. And maybe adding a symbol for switching between full screen mode and windowed mode would also be nice for some people.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

When a level is ending, you get the small window that tells how much money you get for the next level. At this place, it would not be that bad to see a statistic about how many level-ups the player has made in that level. Much like the window that comes under the statistics menu point, but specific to this level only.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Last idea isnt bad if it doesnt get "spammy", its always nice to be able to get additional informations on how you have performed on a level (and may be used to compare with other players, and their tactics used to solve a level)
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Unstickying.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.