Problems with level 0 units

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telly

Post by telly »

Removing level 0's zoc would make them a bit less effective in smaller numbers but the problems are in extended games when someone masses hundreds of the things. You don't need zoc when you can just occupy every hex in the map :).
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Fair point. So here are some ways I could imagine the multiple attack thing working with out too much coding effort (with the exception of #7).

1) Attacking 0-level units do not cause you to lose your attack or movement (original suggestion)
1.5) Attacking 0-level units do not cause you to lose your attack, but you do lose your movement.
2) Attacking 0-level units do not cause you to lose your attack if you are of higher level.
3) Attacking lower level units do not cause you to lose your attack.
4) Attacking units two levels lower do not cause you to lose your attack.
5) Attacking lower level units do not cause you to lose your attack if you have any movement left, but you lose 1 movement point.
6) Attacking 0-level units do not cause you to lose your attack if you have any movement left, but you lose 1 movement.
7) balance 0-level units some other way.

personally I think I like 1.5 the best.
Circon

Post by Circon »

1 through 4 are to be thrown out the window immediately.
Walking Corpse/Bat. Archer. Infinite attacks. In some versions, move on and shoot at the next unit.
5 and 6 aren't much better. For Archer read Elvish Outrider... 10 attacks, choice of melee or ranged.

7 is my choice.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I also support 7). i am against changing any rule of the game so there is an exception for lvl 0 units...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

turin wrote:I also support 7). i am against changing any rule of the game so there is an exception for lvl 0 units...
Agreed.

And congratulations on post 4000!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

hm... perhaps... the solution is to give lvl 0 units traits... one of which is like loyal, but it makes them cost no upkeep... otherwise they cost one upkeep...

just an idea.

OT: not sure its something to be proud of. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
hiryuu

Post by hiryuu »

Darth Fool wrote:1) Attacking 0-level units do not cause you to lose your attack or movement (original suggestion)
1.5) Attacking 0-level units do not cause you to lose your attack, but you do lose your movement.
Err killing, specifically. Granted, an Arch or White Mage isn't far from Circon's example, but you could have a very exposed unit when you finally whiff all of your attacks.

Could you have a unit count limit? Max 20 level 0 units. Maybe 1 per village.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

hiryuu wrote:Could you have a unit count limit? Max 20 level 0 units. Maybe 1 per village.
What sort of limit? A limit on the number of units you can have, or a limit on how many count for upkeep?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

From a completely different field, could you give a unit a fresh clock (can attack & move) after killing a level 0? My real disagreement with level 0 stuff is that you can, at best, only kill one per your unit per turn, so they build up with no way to clear them out. (The AI is kind enough to attack with them, but a human would just leave the blockade.)
Why aren´t these units made a little bit harder to control. I mean give them rage (or something else) that they attack automatical and random a unit which is next to their hex.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Shadow wrote:
From a completely different field, could you give a unit a fresh clock (can attack & move) after killing a level 0? My real disagreement with level 0 stuff is that you can, at best, only kill one per your unit per turn, so they build up with no way to clear them out. (The AI is kind enough to attack with them, but a human would just leave the blockade.)
Why aren´t these units made a little bit harder to control. I mean give them rage (or something else) that they attack automatical and random a unit which is next to their hex.
why should a unit do stuff you don't order it to do? that is counterintuitive and ruins any potential strategy that involves small amounts of lvl 0 units, but doesn't really have any effect on the wall-of-lvl-0s.
The World of Orbivm
hiryuu

Post by hiryuu »

Elvish Pillager wrote:What sort of limit? A limit on the number of units you can have, or a limit on how many count for upkeep?
Either total number or number before they start costing upkeep.
telly

Post by telly »

Either total number or number before they start costing upkeep.
This has the same problem as with only paying upkeep at night (or whenever), it'd make things very difficult for the player to keep track of their income.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

To try to think of ideas, I imagined myself a horde of Walking Corpses in a "realistic" fantasy situation. I came up with these ideas:

• Make them level 1.
• Reduce their HP to 5.
• Whenever a unit moves into a Walking Corpse's ZoC, the Walking Corpse attacks it automatically.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Or just make all L0 units so weak that swarming with them isn't attractive. It would be like having an army of ants. Sure, you have one but who cares? Then, what good are L0 units? You tell me! Scouting, absorbing a turn of damage, and that would be about it.

I think this is the most simple and elegant solution. The walking corpse is not that weak. Neither is the goblin spearman. I think the bat should have a serious pierce weakness.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Circon

Post by Circon »

ZoC.

Zing!